User Avatar Image

Countdown to Ep 4 - "Beyond the Alley of the Dolls"

posted by ttg_Stemmle on - last edited - Viewed by 4.6K users

Hideli-hodeli, Sam & Max-arinos!

Mike Stemmle here, writer and co-designer on Episode 304 of Sam & Max, a.k.a. "Beyond the Alley of the Dolls."

As this penultimate episode in our senses-shattering series careens its way through the approval process, getting ever nearer to your grubby little hands, mice, and joysticks, now seems like a good time to open up the thread for "insider" questions of various sorts.

Allow me to prime the pump with some tantalizing tidbits of info:

- The identity of this episode's villain is a big mystery.
- A character who hasn't been seen this season will return.
- Horrible things will be done to the Delorean. I mean the DeSoto. Dang, that's gonna cause problems, isn't it?
- Mr. Norrington will reveal himself.
- Stinky's "Mr. S" will make himself known.
- Grandpa Stinky will experience a great deal of joy.
- This episode features an exceptionally lame gag that I've been waiting nearly two freaking decades to make.

Oh, and we get to read everyone's mind.
Mike "Roger Ebert Rocks" Stemmle

332 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I really dont think someone has just 'created' the Sam clones somehow. They must have come from somewhere.

• @mathman77 said: We haven't got to play as Sam and Max in their true forms for two episodes (bodyless, noir, ancestors). Are they back to "normal" this time around?

I wanna know this too. Because, well, something different is cool and all, but cannot be something different if the normal it's not there. They are going to be theirselfes the whole time or we'll see more exploration of their personalities like the past chapter? (It's not like I'll mind)

• Or maybe Max rewrote reality too..
    I was kind of hoping for that around the end of 303, but don't seem that likely (but one can hope).
    I would have loved if Max was suddenly the bag guy, then spend the episode fighting him and when it was over the world would go back to normal and Sam and Max would continue as if nothing had happened..

• Oh boy! Now, I bet Bosco comes back. No? How bout Sybil? No? Sam's Monkey Partner?

Anyway, how many Toys will be in this Episode? And will we get mind reading after 3 other Episodes?

And has Sam finally found his family/true love?

• Are we ever going to find out what the Devil's Playhouse is? Or is that just the name of the season, and has no influence on the series at large?

• I think that's fairly obvious.

They're presenting this season like a tv season hence the narrator and the new theme intro. It follows the structure of a television show like the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits. The fictitious show needs a title. It's called the Devil's Playhouse. That's what the Devil's Playhouse /is/. The television framework. Whether or not the name has any particular significance (and it probably does) remains to be seen.

• Personally, I think that we've already been to The Devil's Playhouse this season. In fact, we've spend a good majority of the episodes there. Because I'm willing to bet that The Devil's Playhouse is actually Max's Brain.

• @Gibbeynator said: Are we ever going to find out what the Devil's Playhouse is? Or is that just the name of the season, and has no influence on the series at large?

I forgot where I read this, but we're supposed to find out at the end of the season.

• By the way, the 303 poster is up and looking sharp.

• @Gibbeynator said: Are we ever going to find out what the Devil's Playhouse is? Or is that just the name of the season, and has no influence on the series at large?

If you go to the main DPH page you'll notice it's a movie theater, and you'll notice that there are all sorts of strange but familiar art features on the structure.

That, is the real Devil's Playhouse. Where the Narrator shows us all 5 chapters to whoever decides to go into the unknown..

Add Comment