User Avatar Image

Nintendo 3DS

posted by Dragonite87 on - last edited - Viewed by 10K users

Hi Guys

What do you think about the 3DS. Is it awesome or absolute rubbish.

Mod Edit

As per suggestion, here's a list of everyone's Friend Codes for the 3DS culled from 70-odd pages of posts.

flesk: 3668-7300-2634
Irishmile: 4167-4638-8175
Harold B: 5284-1418-3404
JedExodus: 1289-8200-5637
Jen Kollie: 3652-1134-0177
Secret Fawful: 5198-2523-2237
The Highway: 3695-0084-8559

If you don't want your code here, or it's changed, let me know and I'll update this. - Darth Marsden

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JedExodus said: Naw, it's quite choppy performing and awkward. You'd really want the circle pad pto to play it with a decent control scheme as well, using the face buttons for the camera leaves a lot to be desired.

If you've already played it give it a miss and buy the HD version if you must replay and have the means to. It's still MGS3 so it's still a good game, just not so hot a port.

I have the HD version already which is why I didn't buy the 3DS one. I was just wondering if I was missing out on anything good.

• Got to play a few demos of upcoming games over the weekend, so I figured I would give some impressions:

Luigi's Mansion 2:
    Hilarious game. Lots and lots of personality and clever slapstick. The camera system is a bit strange. You have to move the 3DS around to move the camera. That was hard to get used to.

Adventure Time:
    Beautiful, hilarious game. I think I'll enjoy this world much better as a game than a TV show. I don't like the characters voices, so the fact the game is text dialogue helps me greatly. The enemies are hilarious, and detailed, and the sprite work and world detail is good. There are some really neat effects used in this one to generate depth.

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion:
    I didn't play this but I watched over Guru's shoulder, so that counts right? This is a game for Disney geeks, just like every other EM game. I found a few similarities to Kingdom Hearts, with it being apparent that the villain would be taking the guise of various Disney villains like Scar and Cruella. I'm guessing there may be worlds based on those movies but I have no idea there. The sprites are detailed, with hand-drawn backgrounds. Unfortunately, the backgrounds sometimes use recurring art, but it manages to stay gorgeous anyway. This may be the Rayman Origins of the system.

Paper Mario:
    They didn't show anything that couldn't be found out on the website, but my impression is that it's going back to the tighter feeling of the original Paper Mario, with a world map for an overworld, and lack of experience points. So while it retains the originals feel, this game stands out from all three of the previous games, with a feeling of change similar to SPM.

And that's all I got for that.

• @Secret Fawful said: Got to play a few demos of upcoming games over the weekend, so I figured I would give some impressions:

Luigi's Mansion 2:
    Hilarious game. Lots and lots of personality and clever slapstick. The camera system is a bit strange. You have to move the 3DS around to move the camera. That was hard to get used to.

Adventure Time:
    Beautiful, hilarious game. I think I'll enjoy this world much better as a game than a TV show. I don't like the characters voices, so the fact the game is text dialogue helps me greatly. The enemies are hilarious, and detailed, and the sprite work and world detail is good. There are some really neat effects used in this one to generate depth.

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion:
    I didn't play this but I watched over Guru's shoulder, so that counts right? This is a game for Disney geeks, just like every other EM game. I found a few similarities to Kingdom Hearts, with it being apparent that the villain would be taking the guise of various Disney villains like Scar and Cruella. I'm guessing there may be worlds based on those movies but I have no idea there. The sprites are detailed, with hand-drawn backgrounds. Unfortunately, the backgrounds sometimes use recurring art, but it manages to stay gorgeous anyway. This may be the Rayman Origins of the system.

Paper Mario:
    They didn't show anything that couldn't be found out on the website, but my impression is that it's going back to the tighter feeling of the original Paper Mario, with a world map for an overworld, and lack of experience points. So while it retains the originals feel, this game stands out from all three of the previous games, with a feeling of change similar to SPM.

And that's all I got for that.

All of these games. I wants them...

• @Secret Fawful said: G
    Paper Mario:

Does that mean you don't level grind and its like Zelda where you just fight with out needing to be at a certain level?

• It's more that the stickers you collect give you your powers as the game progresses. How that works hasn't really been talked about in depth yet, but the action-battle system still exists.

• @Secret Fawful said: You have to move the 3DS around to move the camera. That was hard to get used to.

How badly does this screw with the 3D?

Also, about Luigi's Mansion 2: how do the graphics compare to the Gamecube version? Can't really tell from the screenshots because in my experience all 3D games look MUCH better in motion.

• The graphics are likely better just because they're sharper. I believe this game has more expressiveness, which is surprising since LM had so much already. But with the smaller resolution, it still feels like it's in the same territory. The camera messes with the 3D, definitely. I expect that to be the biggest complaint toward the game. The XL and it's larger 3D image didn't help. I had to readjust to the 3D all over again. The puzzles in the demo were shockingly easy, but like LM, were built mainly around finding hidden things and areas. There are new toys this time around too, such as a strobe light. The flashlight alone is not enough.

Even though it wasn't in the demo, the game will have an area with mummies, so....I was griping when I played Zombi U that I would rather play MummyU, where you're an archaeologist in an Egyptian tomb having to survive Egyptian horrors. Well, at least I get my wish with LM2 on wanting to survive against mummies.

• Alright, thanks! I'm so disappointed this got pushed to next year.

• Yay! A new Phoenix Wright game!

See? It's on 3DS.

aa5screen04.jpg

• My 3ds may need a replacement battery now. The thing was fully charged and I just went to play it, and the battery is dead less than 10 minutes later.

Add Comment