User Avatar Image

Sam & Max, Heroes or Anti-Heroes?

posted by Fyuran on - last edited - Viewed by 767 users

Ahoy there everyone!

There's this debate going on in my head, i personally consider both Sam and Max as Anti-Heroes, with Max slighty more "evil", almost good to be a villain himself

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sam is more of the hero while Max lingers towards anti-hero status in my opinion.

• I think they are both heroes. Just that Max likes to do it more violently.
    Remember this quote:

Sam: (Something about saving the world, can't remember where.)
    Max: Sometimes on purpose!

So, they are sort of heroes, just do things a different way.

• good and evil is reload like me i got a someone how descent care as my contents and a hard core evil guy as the person to tell me to do bad

• Well im gonna say there a little of both sometimes they act responsible in what they do like when Max poked the eyes of a bad guy who tried to assault a woman in Monkeys violating the heavenly temple, stopping the purse snatcher in that same story and stopping a store robbery in On the Road. Although not being the case all the time like when Sam threw a bomb at a bus in Hit the Road or Max shooting bystanders in on the road.

• They're very close to anti-hero on how they handle their cases, but I gotta say they're mostly heroes. Jerks who are careless about collateral damage, but even Max seems more out to terrorize and annoy people and beat the crap out of those who deserve it than anything else. When it comes down to it, both care about life in general, do what they can to save others and aren't REALLY the sociopaths they're made out to be in dialogue.

The only human who's permanently died directly because of their actions was Chuckles, and we don't even know that considering the influence of their actions in the second season.

There was probably nobody on that bus, anyway.

• They're antiheroes. They're the good guys, because Sam wants to be and Max goes along with it, I think, and they save things, but in some ways they're the opposite of heroic. So they're antiheroes. That's the definition, as far as I can figure out.

@Nintomster said: I think they are both heroes. Just that Max likes to do it more violently.
    Remember this quote:

Sam: (Something about saving the world, can't remember where.)
    Max: Sometimes on purpose!

So, they are sort of heroes, just do things a different way.

It was:

Spirit of Christmas Present: It is your own selfish actions that have brought this to pass!
    Sam: Selfish? We're Freelance Police!
    Max: We save the world. Sometimes on purpose!

• sam and max are sam and max not heroes or anti-heroes

• @kane said: sam and max are sam and max not heroes or anti-heroes

Looks like we got ourselves an Objectivist, here. :rolleyes:

• um what is an Objectivist

Add Comment