User Avatar Image

GTA: Hill Valley? Really?

posted by thesporkman on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

So... it seems like there are quite a few people on these forums and elsewhere who simply want Telltale to create a re-skinned Grand Theft Auto game set in Hill Valley. Really? Why? What exactly would you want or expect from such a game? Do you actually want a game that lets you do absolutely everything you can do in GTA, including attacking random pedestrians, running people over, stealing other people's cars, etc? Or do you just want a game that lets you drive the Dorlean and the hoverboard around and do crazy stunts off of buildings and set pieces from the movies? I admit this sounds like it would be fun to mess around with for a couple of minutes until the novelty wore off, but it isn't exactly in the spirit of the movies. Can you really imagine Doc and Marty -- or even Biff, for that matter -- suddenly flipping out and going on an insane rampage through Hill Valley?

Doesn't an adventure game where Doc and Marty solve story-based puzzles that make sense within the world of the movies sound like a much better fit for the franchise?

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think it's highly likely that telltale will make a puzzley character based adventure game. I think that most of the people on the forum would want this type of game also as it what telltale is good at and why most of the people are here I assume. I don't want to play a GTA style BTTF game.

• Well, yeah. Telltale's definitely making an adventure game. I'm just asking why some people seem to want a GTA-style game and why they think such a game would suit the franchise.

• I would be satisfied if Telltale re-engineered some of the Sam & Max driving sequences into BttF controllable flight sequences.

• GTA games sucked bad........

• Well, the fan-made GTA: Hill Valley was very well done, I thought. You have all these different cars (including KITT just for fun) and each Delorean (based on each of the movies) had different abilities and responded differently in situations. I don't necessarily agree that TT should go that direction, but I've had a lot of fun playing the the mod.

• I dont want a GTA bttf game, Already played it lol. I think they are going to make the game like a adventure game, with some puzzle or quiz to solve to move on, maybe with some or all free roam so you can drive the delorean threw the town of hill valley and stop and look at the clock tower :D If they do have free roam in hill valley the game maybe be cartoon based I think, cause of the time and TT Mainly does cartoon games with puzzles and adventure solven

• While there will no doubt be places to drive the delorean to, I will bet there is nothing even close to 'free roam' in the games. Thankfully

• @jp-30 said: While there will no doubt be places to drive the delorean to, I will bet there is nothing even close to 'free roam' in the games. Thankfully

Well, know one knows for sure how game play will be, they could make it like ghostbusters with free roam, why not? the Game is Based on the movie Thats why its called back to the future, So it should follow the story line. which means free roam, there are lots of parts in the movie where you could have free roam. I hope its not like monkey island where you are stuck in a small area and have to solve a million things to move on. This is why some people decided to one day make a gta bttf mod and have the town of hill valley, the clock tower and delorean in it with free roam, so you can run around in the town and look at the clock tower as if you were in the movie, That is what back to the future fans want is to be a part of the movie in a game!

• @bttf1985cc said: the Game is Based on the movie Thats why its called back to the future, So it should follow the story line. which means free roam, there are lots of parts in the movie where you could have free roam.

I think "following the storyline" means locking down where you're able to go and what you're able to do. It certainly doesn't automatically mean "Free roam".

As far as a free-roam BttF game is concerned, I'd only support free roam as long as it didn't involve driving--and certainly not flying--the DeLorean around in the past. In the future, and, to an extent, the present, I wouldn't have any problem.

• @bttf1985cc said: the Game is Based on the movie Thats why its called back to the future, So it should follow the story line. which means free roam, there are lots of parts in the movie where you could have free roam.

The Telltale Games are not going to follow the storyline(s) of the movies.

@bttf1985cc said: I hope its not like monkey island where you are stuck in a small area and have to solve a million things to move on.

Well, that's the kind of game Telltale make, though they say they're changing the gameplay style somewhat for Jurassic Park, I'm pretty sure BTTF will be in a similar style to all the other Telltale episodic adventures.

@bttf1985cc said: That is what back to the future fans want is to be a part of the movie in a game!

No, they don't. They want a new story set in Hill Valley with their favourite characters. Trust me, I've asked them.

Add Comment