User Avatar Image

culture shock won't activate

posted by Spoon on - last edited - Viewed by 353 users

Hi,
I just tried to run "Sam and Max: Culture Shock" and as the game is starting it says:

"Please run this program from the Administrator account so it can set up your license. Once the license is set up, you can run it from any account." (right after the "retrieving key..." message)

Well, the problem is that I'm already running my pc from the administator account.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

12 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Did you install the game while in the Administrator account?

• I'm not sure what the problem is, but you can click Activation Support and follow the instructions and we'll unlock it manually. (I'm assuming that after you get that message it takes you to the page with the Activation Support link in the bottom right corner?)

Also - did you install into the default directory, or not?

• Thanks for your reply, but I'm not even getting to that start screen. The "Culture Shock" program just closes after that message comes up.
    I tried activating "Situation Comedy" and that works just fine. Weird.

• Okay, I'm going to have to check with Digital River about this. Is the game installed in the default directory? Which operating system are you using?

• It's installed in the default directory : "C:\Programme\Telltale Games\Sam & Max - Culture Shock". The operation system is Windows XP (german, SP2 installed).

• Hello?

I just found out that I get the same error when trying to start any of your demos. And as the offer-install.exe of Situation Comedy isn't a demo, that could be the reason why this works. Could be some weird registries settings in my Windows XP installation though.

• The way we package our games changed as of Situation: Comedy, so it sounds like this new method works for you, while the old method doesn't :(

Fortunately, we will soon be releasing an updated version of Culture Shock which uses the new packaging method, so you should be in luck! Keep your eyes out for news of the updated version in the near future.

• Thanks for bumping this up. I haven't gotten an answer to it yet.

Regarding the Situation: Comedy game that ends in offer.exe -- it's pretty much the same as any of our other demos, and if it does not activate automatically, it reverts to demo mode. The only difference between this game and other demos is that clicking the "buy now" button takes you to Telltale's store instead of starting an automatic checkout process. This small difference shouldn't matter for what you're having trouble with.

There are a few other differences to Situation: Comedy that haven't appeared in any of our other games yet, so it's possible that Situation: Comedy is working for you because those changes inadvertantly fixed the problem you're having.

Let me try again to find out what would cause this. Sorry for the delay.

Add Comment