User Avatar Image

Do you eat something between Lunch and Dinner?

posted by GinnyN on - last edited - Viewed by 540 users

My mom went to Europe some months ago for her "Winter Vacation" (Go mom!), and, how I am, I started to read Tips for Travel to Chile (My country). It's fun because you get to know all the thingies you never imagine it was typical just for you. And this is one of those: The travelers tips always talk about "la once" (It's the equivalent of Tea Time here). Ok, probably is called differently in other countries, why not? And I finish learning Chile is probably, one of the last countries which still eat something between Lunch and Dinner O.o.

So, I want to know, Do you eat something between Lunch and Dinner? How is called if you do?

Ours is called Once (Eleven) because, long before my time, the miners couldn't drink liquor (They still can't) in the mines. So, they mixed Brandy (Aguardiente, acording to Word Reference is an special kind, but, it's a liquor) with Hot Water and Tea. When asked what they were drinking, they answer "Once" (Eleven) as a code, because "Aguardiente" has eleven letters.

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just eat snacks when ever im hungery between meals XP

• The French meal is called goûter. It takes place around 4pm, and is one of the four main meals, which are all 4 hours apart (starting around 8 am).

Breakfast and goûter revolve around fruit and grain, and having eggs or meat (or potatoes, or beans) for either is pretty much inconceivable in France. Lunch and dinner are the "savoury" meals, with vegetables and a source of protein.

• I usually just grab an apple or something, keeps hunger at bay

• @Avistew said: The French meal is called goûter. It takes place around 4pm, and is one of the four main meals, which are all 4 hours apart (starting around 8 am).

Breakfast and goûter revolve around fruit and grain, and having eggs or meat (or potatoes, or beans) for either is pretty much inconceivable in France. Lunch and dinner are the "savoury" meals, with vegetables and a source of protein.

Here's you drink either Coffee, Tea or milk, and eat bread. And everything you think you can put on the bread, from Butter to pitted avocados to mixed eggs.

• There's no such thing in England. Personally, though, I eat pretty erratically. There's no set time for dinner in my household, and we don't always eat it. I guess it's pretty unhealthy, but oh well :p

• It depends on what I´m doing, if I´m at work I maybe I eat some fruits or something.
    When I´m home could it be something else, candy sometimes. But usually
    I´m not hungry.

• @GinnyN said: Here's you drink either Coffee, Tea or milk, and eat bread. And everything you think you can put on the bread, from Butter to pitted avocados to mixed eggs.

Replace "milk" with "hot chocolate", and it's the same for drinks. However for the grain it's either cereals or bread with something sweet (jam, chocolate...). Avocado or eggs would certainly not be very traditional at all ^_^

• There are hardly any intact traditions in my country any more. In fact, I can't think of any traditions we have that aren't shared by Australia, Canada or America. I prefer it like that, though; I'm about as far from patriotic as you can get.

• Elevensis if I'm up: 11:00 have a coffee and a snack of sorts.

Then sometimes I just randomly snack between Dinner and Tea.

• @serweet said: Elevensis if I'm up: 11:00 have a coffee and a snack of sorts.

Then sometimes I just randomly snack between Dinner and Tea.

Aren't dinner and tea the same thing? Or do you use "dinner" to mean lunch?

Add Comment