User Avatar Image

Sam and Max 204 Logic

posted by Blooglspash on - last edited - Viewed by 540 users

I realize this is a little late, but oh well.
In Chariots of the Dogs, when Sam and Max meet their past selves and the past selves go back into the time machine leaving present S&M to go through the past year and a half again, the past S&M take the recording contract with them, which is needed for the Present S&M to go through the past year and a half again. When the Future S&M get the Recording Contract from the Past S&M, the Past S&M go back to continue their lives. But to do that, Past S&M need the Recording Contract that Future S&M has. Also, Past S&M somehow know that they need to go to the moon, even though the Past S&M are from the events of Episode 2, and S&M don't learn that they have to go to the moon until the begining of Episode 6.

How is any of this possible! Could someone please explain?

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • As for the recording contract, remember that Bosco has one behind the counter? They could just buy it from him.

• @lombre said: As for the recording contract, remember that Bosco has one behind the counter? They could just buy it from him.

Yes, but remember that Sam and Max go through that twice, and Bosco only has one Recording Contract.

• No, they don't, they only go through that once, since future S&M know (is: Once) and the past once no longer need said stuff (since they skipped needing the contract).

• Bosco didn't have a recording contract, he had a video of a chicken eating cow manure for laughs.

Maybe they used their future knowledge to get in some other way?

• Yeah, the whole thing has always bugged me with 204. It's a walking paradox. It bugged me the first time and has been bugging me ever since. But the answer is simple: it's Sam & Max. It doesn't have to make sense.

• There's a lot of things in that episode that don't make sense.

How do the changes to Max's personality wear off? Did past Sam and Max getting the time elevator cause little Sam and Max to change their minds about going to the prom? Or something?

If Bosco's paranoia came from his mother unknowingly stalking him all his life, and the time travel came from Bosco's paranoia, isn't that a paradox?

Why did past Sam and Max want to go to the moon? They don't need to until 106, and they're from 102. And why does past Sam suddenly doubt that it's possible to drive to the moon? He did it in Bad Day on the Moon, and Bad Day on the Moon happened, because there was a picture from it on the wall of the office.

Yes, I am aware that the answers to these are "because it's funny". I just like nitpicking. This stuff doesn't keep me awake at night or anything.

• It's very confusing, like this picture

confusing_sign.jpg

• @Shwoo said: There's a lot of things in that episode that don't make sense.

How do the changes to Max's personality wear off? Did past Sam and Max getting the time elevator cause little Sam and Max to change their minds about going to the prom? Or something?

The bigger question is this: Bluster Blaster's abrasive personality came from the time machine's AI. It was because of Bluster Blaster's personality shift that Max suddenly liked girls. But, without interference from the future, Max would have been completely asexual and Bluster Blaster would have been a real pleasant guy. Therefore, in order to have things make sense, BB should have been nice from the very beginning, before the timelines were meddled with.

If Bosco's paranoia came from his mother unknowingly stalking him all his life, and the time travel came from Bosco's paranoia, isn't that a paradox?

Bosco's paranoia also has something to do with who his actual father was. Believe it or not, there are an obscene number of conspiracy theories revolving around his untimely death.

Why did past Sam and Max want to go to the moon? They don't need to until 106, and they're from 102. And why does past Sam suddenly doubt that it's possible to drive to the moon? He did it in Bad Day on the Moon, and Bad Day on the Moon happened, because there was a picture from it on the wall of the office.

But they didn't drive in Bad Day on the Moon. True, they took the Desoto, but it wasn't running on engine power.

Yes, I am aware that the answers to these are "because it's funny". I just like nitpicking. This stuff doesn't keep me awake at night or anything.

The only thing that REALLY bugs me are the Pedros. They're basically the same guy from different points in his life. And yet they don't seem to remember the destruction of the time machine, even though two of them were there before. Even more annoying, they were trapped in time by the destruction of the time machine within a 3 month period of each other. Surely they could have met up later to compare notes?

The mind boggles.

• thats why this episode was so brilliant i bet the point was to wtf us all :D

• If you want to REALLY confuse yourselves, try to figure out the date of ep 205.

Add Comment