User Avatar Image

Want to Write for Cultural Zest?

posted by The Highway on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

We're currently holding an open application for anyone interested.
By anyone interested, we really do mean ANYONE interested. But I'll explain that later.

Most of you may have noticed around these forums that my signature is plastered everywhere advertising Cultural Zest. Some of you may have even visited it, even after the constant annoyance it brings to my posts. And some of you may have even thought, "That would be the most awesome thing to do, to write for an online magazine..."

I can tell you that, if you don't count stuff like extreme sports or overseas travel, then yes, writing for an online magazine is pretty awesome!

We began in May (I think), and already we have 3 members on our writing staff. But we want more. And here's where the ANYONE interested comes into play.

At Cultural Zest, we have an idea, an idea that, since 1 hour ago, is called Multi-Cultural Zest, and basically what that means is that, at Cultural Zest, we want to be the world's first online magazine/review/interview site that has staff from every part of the world. That means that it doesn't matter if you're from Chile, France, Uganda, Luxembourg, the USA, Australia, Canada, Antarctica, whatever! Just as long as you can type in coherent English and have an internet connection!

So, anyway, enough of this mumbo-jumbo, on to the submissions part!

If you want to have a shot, this is what you need to do;

[LIST]Conduct an interview with someone notable, review a game that's come out recently, or put together a story about something happening in the cultural scene wherever you are.[/LIST]
[LIST]PROOFREAD IT FIRST![/LIST]
[LIST]Send it to me at culturalzest@gmail.com[/LIST]
[LIST]Sit back and wait for the announcement[/LIST]

Me, Haggis and OzzieMonkey will go through all of your submissions and whoever we think has the most potential will most likely get a writing position at Cultural Zest.

PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT IF YOU DO NOT GET PICKED IT MEANS YOU SUCK

If you aren't picked, it's probably just because, well, with only one spot going in this "audition", it will be difficult to be assured a place even if you have a super awesome article.

That is, of course, unless the absolute worst possibility happens and only one or two people try. But I like to be optimistic.

The two closest runners up, as well as of course the one who is picked, will have their articles posted on the site.

Happy Writing!

DEADLINE
Have your review sent to the previously mentioned address by no later then 11:59pm on the 30th of August in whatever timezone you are in.
Don't worry. We won't start looking until the 1st of September (nice round date), but we want to make sure that;
a)You can work with a deadline (although that won't be necessary much - just for games reviews)
b)You get your reviews to us on time for us to read them

Keep in mind that if I find anything in my inbox on the 2nd of September, no matter how great it is, you've missed your chance. Sorry.

By the way, for any smart asses, that's September 1st 2010.

We will try to announce the "winner" and "runners up" by September 7th - 10th, so the winner can celebrate on September 11th and feel like a dick...

Oh, and only one article per person will be judged.

176 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • One question though: We do get paid for this right?

  • Dang, I used the contact email asking about this and no reply! Oh well, I guess I'll send in the review, then! :D

    P.S Will we have to include pictures or just picture links?

    P.S.S I'll probably be seeing Scott Pilgrim as well, so I'll probably have some ready material :)

  • Dang, if I didn't have so much stuff going on I'd apply.

  • @The Highway said: Just as long as you can type in coherent English...

    Damn, that's out me!

  • Let's just hope seibert doesn't apply, then none of us will have a chance of getting the position.

  • @caeska said: One question though: We do get paid for this right?

    Not yet, we're all doing this for free at the moment (Haggis is even LOSING money over it, so yeah), but once we start getting a s&%#load of web traffic as our coverage broadens, we will probably start to be getting paid (maybe in a year or a bit). But right now it's a labor of love, plus, it's fun! (You DO get to play games before the release date... for free...)

    @caeska said: Dang, I used the contact email asking about this and no reply! Oh well, I guess I'll send in the review, then! :D

    P.S Will we have to include pictures or just picture links?

    P.S.S I'll probably be seeing Scott Pilgrim as well, so I'll probably have some ready material :)


    What contact email? The jack@culturalzest.com one? Because I see no email, and I'm confident in the fact that that email is true.
    You will have to include pictures, it makes the job of evaluating the articles much easier.
    I look forward to reading your review on Scott Pilgrim then!

    @caeska said: Let's just hope seibert doesn't apply, then none of us will have a chance of getting the position.


    I had to resist putting that joke in the OP!

    @caeska said: Dang, if I didn't have so much stuff going on I'd apply.


    By "other stuff", do you perhaps mean [PLUG]your own website[/PLUG]?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, at least the amount of people interested in such a short time has stopped me feeling like this would be a failed attempt! Oh, wait, I should probably set a deadline... Uhhhh... Look in the OP!

  • @The Highway said:

    What contact email? The jack@culturalzest.com one? Because I see no email, and I'm confident in the fact that that email is true.
    You will have to include pictures, it makes the job of evaluating the articles much easier.
    I look forward to reading your review on Scott Pilgrim then!


    I went to the contact section on the site @_@

    But anyway, I'm sending in my review of Lego Universe (with pictures) and also I'll have a link to my review of The Penal Zone I made for Adventure Click (which I have no official affiliation with) as well.

  • I wonder if we (Cultural Zest) should allow more than one review/interview/general article per applicant?
    I'll talk it over with the guys tomorrow.
    By the way, it would be great if you indicated your country, name and age in your email, thanks!

  • @The Highway said: I wonder if we (Cultural Zest) should allow more than one review/interview/general article per applicant?
    I'll talk it over with the guys tomorrow.
    By the way, it would be great if you indicated your country, name and age in your email, thanks!

    Sent by personal stuff in a seperate email because you keep changing everything :mad:

    Also, can it be a little eariler of a deadline? Scott Pilgrim will become dust by the time the winners are announced :rolleyes:

  • @BoneFreak said: Sent by personal stuff in a seperate email because you keep changing everything :mad:

    haha, sorry bout that, i really didn't expect a submission to come so soon, so yeah

    actually, i'm sorry to do this to you, but i actually think it might be better if it all got sent to a different email address im editing in now, as it then reaches all 3 of us instead of just me

Add Comment