User Avatar Image

How Fast Do You Eat?

posted by Dave Grossman on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Question for the week: How fast do you eat? In a group, are you always the first one finished? Always last? Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it?

Me, I'm the second slowest eater I know.

(This isn't completely arbitrary, I do have a reason for asking. Even if it isn't a particularly good reason.)

--Dave

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

I'm one of the slower people I know for food, but one of the quickest people I know for beverages.

• @Dave Grossman said: Question for the week: How fast do you eat? In a group, are you always the first one finished?

Nope, that's usually my nan if she's here.

Always last?

Usually, yes.

Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it?

I wouldn't know, I don't drink sodas. I have a glass of smoothie for brekkie, then the rest of the day it's herbal tea, fruit juice, water or milk. Sodas contain not only sugar, but artificial flavourings, colourings and, if they don't contain sugar, they contain artificial sweetners. Some of these, such as aspertame, have been linked to brain tumours and some forms of cancer. According to the US FDA, there is no such thing as a 'safe' artificial sweetener.

Oh I also have a glass of rose every evening.

But, to answer your question I generally sip unless I'm really thirsty.

Me, I'm the second slowest eater I know.

(This isn't completely arbitrary, I do have a reason for asking. Even if it isn't a particularly good reason.)

--Dave

I have replied inline. Sorry, but I don't believe there's been enough reseearch done into ASs and I don't think they should be used as liberally as they are. Not all natural sugars are nasty - fructose (fruit sugar) and lactose (milk sugar) do not have the same risks associated with sucrose.

Sarah

• i'm always the slowest.. i got a problem with my asophogus or sumthin anyway if i eat too fast i get a pain in the chest.. so yeah

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

@Dave Grossman said: Question for the week:

How fast do you eat? I'm middle of the road. I used to be faster but I've slowed down a bit.

In a group, are you always the first one finished? No

Always last? No (middle of the road)

Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it? Big sips. If I guzzle then I have to burp loudly and that wouldn't be very lady like.

--Dave

How's that correspondance course in psychology going? :p

• User Avatar Image
    Squinky Telltale Alumni

Shouldn't it be "how quickly do you eat"?

That said, I'm a relatively slow eater, as I'm sure all you folks who went out to lunch with me on a regular basis may recall. And I sip my pop soda.

• How fast do you eat? See below
    In a group, are you always the first one finished? Most of the time.. I'm the second fastest eater I know, in a casual sense. I mean.. I'm not one of those marathon hotdog eaters or anything..
    Always last? Almost never.
    Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it? I don't really guzzle or sip.. just random drinks here and there. If I'm really thirsty, then I guzzle.. but never soda.. in fact, now that I think about, I don't think I can guzzle soda.. or any other carbonated beverage. Tea is better. :cool:

• I used to be a fairly slow eater, but now I have 3 kids under 6 years old I tend to get my food in as fast as possible because I know that (at least) one child will require assistance at some point, and if I have to start feeding my kids, my own dinner will get neglected.

In a group eating out (with the kids at Nanas for the night) I tend to be finished in the first few - probably due to the habits picked up at home. Though if it's at someone's house (or a barbeque at my own for a large group of friends or family) I'll usually wait until very last to serve myself. So it's harder to tell if I'm eating quickly due to the staggered start.

Drinking, depends how thirsty I am. I can knock a soft-drink back in seconds flat, but generally a can of coke or whatever will take me 5-10 mins. I'm a fairly slow beer drinker, but tend to get more than my fair share when the wife and I open a bottle of wine (which is most nights).

• I eat pretty slowly, and Im usually one of the last to finish. I guzzle beer, I almost never drink soda, I dont like it as much as I did when I was a kid. If I drink soda, its usually from a bottle of coke or a glass of coke, with ice and lemon.
    I should add that I only eat once every year, usually an elk calf that I hunt down and kill with my fists. I will however often regurgitate my prey in order to escape any perceived threat.

• @Dave Grossman said: How fast do you eat?

Not slow, not fast. Although it leans more toward slow.

In a group, are you always the first one finished? Always last?

I'm usually not the last one to finish, but that's probably because I don't eat a lot at a time, and I don't like to talk over dinner. Meals are for eating, conversations for talking.

Do you guzzle a soda, or do you sip it?

I prefer iced tea, but when I do drink soda, I prefer decently sized sips. And even then sometimes the carbon comes up in such an amount that stings the inside of my nose. Now you know all about my facial orifices.

• User Avatar Image
    Dave Grossman Telltale Alumni

@Squinky said: Shouldn't it be "how quickly do you eat"?

Troublemaker.

Add Comment