User Avatar Image

to Dominic Armato: can we have the stump joke voiced, please?

posted by LogicDeLuxe on - last edited - Viewed by 277 users

Is it possible to ask Dominic politely, if he might voice the stump joke for a fan patch? (The Classic Talkie CD Edition Project over at LucasForums, to be exact)
After all, he is known to be a fan himself, and he even voiced that awesome april fools joke some years ago. If he agrees, that would be awesome.

Just in case, the text goes like this:

"Hey!"
"There's a hole at the base of this stump!"

(Guybrush is reaching the stump.)
"Wow! It's a tunnel that opens onto a system of catacombs!"
"I think I can squeeze through--"

(The game requests disk 22, disk 36, and finally disk 114. Guybrush stands up.)
"Oh, well. I guess I can't go down there."
"I'll just have to skip that part of the game."

Here is a video of that particular scene: Youtube video

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • YES. That would be awesome, I think LucasArts gave him the get-go on that April Fools joke though.

• As much as he'd like that, he may not be allowed to do it.

That april fools joke represented a special situation in which, as far as I suspect, special approvals were given. What you are asking for are lines from an actual LucasArts product, which they specifically took out from the Special Edition (with a good reason, so that fans stop calling them and ask them about the special disks :p)

If you really really really want or need these lines, may I suggest two options:

- You should ask LucasArts for approvals, then ask Dom if he wants to record those lines. Be aware that LA doesn't usually say yes to fan projects.
    - You could get someone else to voice those lines, mimicking Guybrush's voice. While it's not the same thing, you can avoid the entire "Please LucasAts ohpleaseohpleaseohplease!" routine. :)
    - Eat chicken soup. While it's irrelevant to your situation, it's actually quite good, especially when you've got a cold.

Due to the strange laws in the voice acting business, some voice actors are totally okay to record for fans while some voice actors are also totally okay to record for fans but can't do that.

Best of luck, dude!

• What about if someone were to, say, chat to Dominic through Skype and he were to randomly say those lines whilst, unknown to him, the conversation was recorded?

• @guitarsareboring said: What about if someone were to, say, chat to Dominic through Skype and he were to randomly say those lines whilst, unknown to him, the conversation was recorded?

Don't even try to steal my almost 7 year old idea:
    @guitarsareboring said: Or we call Dom all the time, tricking him into saying every single line of dialogue we need for the two games (of course just as part of some small talk), recording all of it...

• Or stitch all the clips from the first two special editions to form the lost lines.

• @MonkeyMania said: Or stitch all the clips from the first two special editions to form the lost lines.

That would never sound right. Never watched "Sneakers"? The sound of that line is about the only believable part of that movie, of course.
    A good impersonator would sound a lot better than this.

Someone who has contact to Dominic could ask if he may voice those lines. If not, he could also ask how exactly that April fools joke was arranged. Maybe that would help.

Something I find odd. Eventhough they removed the stump joke, they keep making jokes about it. Joke which someone who didn't experience it in the first game won't get.

• @LogicDeLuxe said: Someone who has contact to Dominic could ask if he may voice those lines. If not, he could also ask how exactly that April fools joke was arranged. Maybe that would help.

You might ask Jake about that, I think he was somehow involved in that.

• For that old April Fools joke, we got LucasArts' blessing/permission before going through with it. I think Dominic generally plays Guybrush Threepwood for fan endeavors, without LEC giving the go-ahead (like most actors who play characters in commercial works). I don't know if LucasArts literally "owns the voice" like Fox does with the Simpsons voices (the Simpsons voice actors legally can't perform those voices without Fox's permission because the TV network owns them), or anything that drastic, but they do own the character of Guybrush, and Monkey Island is their game, so even if legally he could go and record a bunch of dialog in that voice, I think, he'd rather get permission first than risk that relationship.

We felt the same way when we did the April Fools joke for Mixnmojo back in the day. Our April Fools wasn't done maliciously, it was done for fun, and we wanted LucasArts to be in on the joke. Fortunately they thought it was a funny idea and gave it the okay.

So, my prediction is that you'd need to get permission from everyone involved before you get a voice read, but who knows.

• @MonkeyMania said: Or stitch all the clips from the first two special editions to form the lost lines.

That's what they do in (really bad) callcenters to generate an audible proof that you agreed to any sort of contract which you actually didn't.

While thinking that it might be a fun idea, I don't really see those few lines are so important they need to be recorded.

• @Jake said:

We felt the same way when we did the April Fools joke for Mixnmojo back in the day. Our April Fools wasn't done maliciously, it was done for fun, and we wanted LucasArts to be in on the joke. Fortunately they thought it was a funny idea and gave it the okay.

The April Fools joke was great. Dom was such a good sport to do it. I liked his version of Largo.

I'd love for Monkey Island 1 SE to get a version where you can play it in classic mode with the voices without doing 10 different steps. It worked so well in MI2 SE. Stump joke too, I thought that was funny. When they got to "Insert disk 82" I was like no way this game has 82 floppy disks. Disappointed when they got rid of that for the CD version.

Add Comment