User Avatar Image

Your absolute first encounter with Monkey Island (tm)

posted by StarEye on - last edited - Viewed by 403 users

People discover new games all the time. Games they've never heard of or played before. What was your first encounter with Monkey Island (tm) like? How did it happen, and what was your first impression?

My first encounter with Monkey Island (tm) was thanks to my older brother. He wasn't the computer nerd in the house, his hobby was music. But he did enjoy playing games occasionally on my Amiga (and earlier, the C64).

Not long after I got my first Amiga, I had enough money for a memory upgrade (1 mb of ram in total!). Before that I had to rely on games that didn't require that amount of memory (to be fair, that was quite a few). One of the main reasons for the extra memory was so that I could play Elvira - Mistress of the Dark. Anyway, one day, my brother mentioned Monkey Island. He said he's heard of it and that it's supposed to be good. Well, it was one of the first games I got (along with Elvira) from my "contact".

Unfortunately, I don't remember the first time I booted it up, but I'm fairly sure it was quite soon after. I was very eager to test everything I brought home. It was also very rare that I got hooked on a game, but it was a genre I was starting to fall in love with, and Monkey Island was one of the greatest. After that I searched high and low for new adventure games - and although I loved many of them, few of them came close to monkey Island. Ever since I first played Monkey Island, I've been a fan of the games, and stuck with it through thick and thin. My memory of my first encounter of the rest of the games in the series are much clearer. I might write about those later, in this post.

What's your first enouncter with Monkey Island like?

37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 1997. I wouldn't be getting my first computer for another three years. I really only had one good friend in 3rd grade, this kid named Lucas. I don't really remember much about the time we spent hanging out, other than his computer. One day he showed me this really awesome game his dad was borrowing from a friend. It had this pirate who went around picking stuff up and using it in really weird ways. Somehow, I never picked up on the fact that it kept making references to past events. I could've sworn that we never made it past the third part, but when I came back to it later on, I remembered several parts of the second island.

Three years later, once I had my own computer, I stumbled upon a copy of The Curse of Monkey Island at Target and immediately bought it.

• @GuruGuru214 said: 1997. I wouldn't be getting my first computer for another three years. I really only had one good friend in 3rd grade, this kid named Lucas. I don't really remember much about the time we spent hanging out, other than his computer. One day he showed me this really awesome game his dad was borrowing from a friend. It had this pirate who went around picking stuff up and using it in really weird ways. Somehow, I never picked up on the fact that it kept making references to past events. I could've sworn that we never made it past the third part, but when I came back to it later on, I remembered several parts of the second island.

Three years later, once I had my own computer, I stumbled upon a copy of The Curse of Monkey Island at Target and immediately bought it.

Ironic that the guy's name was Lucas, eh?

• 1990, the pc floppy version on my amstrad 8086.

I got it as a present the same time as Prince of persia.

both amazing games.

I got stuck for the longest time on getting the key from lechuck's room. I think I must have used the item too far away or something the first time, and I spent ages trekking through the underground in case I'd missed something.

best moment for me was the stuff in the governors mansion(the yak et all) and pirates complaining I was using the swordmasters insults on them.

• my bf at the time introducied me to CMI and EMI. I managed to get 1 and 2 years later at a car boot sale for £1 and then waited for 5 XD

• 1992-1993, when my Uncle Dave once had The Secret of Monkey Island at his home, and sometimes he or my brothers would play it. And I was a little girl back then.

• Travelled out of state to visit relatives with the family. One of the days we were there, we went to visit a family friend and me being the curious type (and at the time obsessed with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time) walked into the son's room because that was where my brother was, and I saw a blonde haired pirate sword fighting a bunch of other pirates via rhyming insults and canon fights. I thought that it was really cool and was instantly hooked on to said blonde haired pirate because he reminded me of a pirate version of Link (like I said, obsessed at the time). About three years later, the PS2 came out and my cousin came over me and my brother's house to show us the console and to demonstrate the console's capabilities, he brought over EMI and I saw the blonde haired pirate again only I couldn't place my finger why he seemed so familiar to me. Luckily, the beauty of the internet was already around and about and I finally figured who the guy was and from there I discovered the rest of the MI series.

• About ten years ago, a friend had mentioned the series as being really good. I'd seen the occasional box art, but had never purchased the game as I was a college student without much cash and preferred to stick to the familiar because of that.

Fast forward to 2009. Monkey Island shows up on Xbox Live. Played it, loved it, but didn't have any reasonable way to play the other games. Said friend from before had recommended playing the games in order. Played the second one this summer, then found inexpensive used copies of 3 and 4 on Amazon. Finally tackled Tales when I finished with them. :)

• My dad was a very early adopter of home computers and online communication. In the 80s and early 90s he would often download game demos for me that were passed around BBSes in those days, and the EGA demo of SOMI was one of them. I loved it and asked for the full game, and he got it for me. I was about 9.

• Ah, that was waaaay back in time when people would answer to "Do you sell mice?" with "No, but we have a cat". :D

Well, not really _that_ long ago. 1991 I guess it was. My father called me from the living room where he had his 386 set up and when I came into the room, the intro of SOMI was playing in that amazing PC speaker sound.
    I was totally sucked into that fictive world and spent hours in front of the monitor. I would have never thought, though, that, 20 years later, I'd still be that Monkey Island fanatic, but here we are.

Add Comment