User Avatar Image

What in the holy hell is DirectX?

posted by roberttitus on - last edited - Viewed by 292 users

I just got a new laptop today & decided to redownload SBCGFAP only for it to tell me that the game wouldn't work right unless I downloaded Direct X. I did of course, but I'm not sure I should have. I mean this is a somewhat new laptop so I might have an updated version or something already on it right?

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Don't worry about it. DirectX is smart enough to not let you downgrade without telling you. basically DirectX is the gubbins that run the graphics under Winders

• I'm no expert, but sometimes games insist you download an older version to work the game. It doesn't overwrite the newer version as far as I know... but hopefully someone who knows more than me will be able to help more...

• Usually when you install a telltale game, they ask if you want to check your Direct X, and install the update.

• Even if it does overwrite any newer game will auto update it for you.
    Problem is some games only work with older versions of DirectX because newer versions can change stuff around.

• I'm surprised you are unfamiliar with DirectX, as it has been pretty much required for gaming on Windows PCs for almost 15 years. :p

• I've never encountered a game that required older DirectX versions to run.

Sure, old DX5 games can disfunction, but that's more probably because of Vista/XP/7 or modern graphic cards/drivers than DirectX.

^ EDIT: Obviously roberttitus is a console player...

• I'm pretty sure many versions of DirectX can exist simultaneously on a Windows install, and it's required for some older games or games which desire to be compatible with older computers.

• @SHODANFreeman said: I'm surprised you are unfamiliar with DirectX, as it has been pretty much required for gaming on Windows PCs for almost 15 years. :p

@SHODANFreeman said: Obviously roberttitus is a console player...

Obviously.

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
    Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms. Originally, the names of these APIs all began with Direct, such as Direct3D, DirectDraw, DirectMusic, DirectPlay, DirectSound, and so forth. The name DirectX was coined as shorthand term for all of these APIs (the X standing in for the particular API names) and soon became the name of the collection. When Microsoft later set out to develop a gaming console, the X was used as the basis of the name Xbox to indicate that the console was based on DirectX technology. [...]

Direct3D (the 3D graphics API within DirectX) is widely used in the development of video games for Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Xbox, and Microsoft Xbox 360. [...] As Direct3D is the most widely publicized component of DirectX, it is common to see the names "DirectX" and "Direct3D" used interchangeably.

[...] The first version of DirectX was released in September 1995 as the Windows Games SDK.

DirectX has been around PC gaming for a long time now. If a game complains that you don't have it, then it's possible that it either is missing some component (accidentally or by malfunction) or is not the latest desired version... or that your computer is being stupid and you need to reboot.

You don't need to worry about upgrading/reinstalling DirectX causing problems. If the game says you need to upgrade, then upgrade. However, games usually do come with their own SDK copy of DirectX that you can use to reinstall, rather than having to download it from Microsoft.

• I have yet to buy a game that doesn't have DX on their disk ("Silver" has a broken version of it which quite messed up my PC, but aside from that they all seem to be fine). And even downloaded games like with Telltale have DX installations included.

Not sure about Steam or D2D or GamersGate and similar download platforms though.

• @Hassat Hunter said: Not sure about Steam or D2D or GamersGate and similar download platforms though.

Steam automatically updates DirectX when you try to run a game that requires the latest version.

Add Comment