User Avatar Image

Am i the only one who uses walkthroughs for this game?

posted by Bertan1311 on - last edited - Viewed by 364 users

I have played all three seasons of sam and max and i didn't finish one, not even one episode without using the walkthrough at least once (okay, three or four times)

I am the only one?

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • :) Reading through this thread makes me feel good. I'm not the only one who needs walkthroughs at times. I'm not as stupid as I originally thought! *Breathes sigh of relief*

• I sometimes turn on the hints if I'm really, REALLY stumped. I try to avoid them tho because the point is to figure it out yourself. But no more than twice per game, overall.

• I did not need hints or walkthrough anywhere in Season 3. Season 2 there were a few times when I was stuck and I just turned on the hint system to full blast, walked around until I heard the hint, and then turned it back off. Have those of you who need walkthroughs ever tried that method?

I also suspect many folks who look at walkthroughs would have eventually figured out how to get unstuck if they weren't so anxious to finish the story. I mean, there are people asking for hints in the hint forum within hours of the game release time. If story is your real interest in the game, then you shouldn't feel any guilt about using a walkthrough or think of it as cheating -- you paid for the game, it's totally up to you to decide how best to enjoy it. (I occasionally play an old-school-style, light-on-story first-person shooter. I have great fun with it but get bored with the same-ness 3/4s of the way through. So I put it on god-mode and finish the game. I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it.)

I agree with this and wish Telltale would consider it:
    @Sparifankerl said: But since Telltale have already established a hint function, they could include some harder puzzles and just drop heavy hints for those who don't want to ponder over a puzzle for some time.

because the puzzles in 305 were a serious let-down.

@Sparifankerl said: I think DoTT must be the hardest LA adventure.
    Not only do they got illogical puzzles, but across timezones.

Game was great though, but I probably used a walkthrough 50 times...

Yeah, me too. I think most of the puzzles were logical, they just required multiple steps in the chain of reasoning that they were difficult to foresee. You couldn't even thrash or guess your way through because there were so many inventory items, multiple verbs, and so many points of interaction. That's complexity, and while I don't necessarily want to go back to that extreme, it was this lack of complexity that made Season 3 so easy and less satisfying than playing a DOTT-like game with an occasional glance at a walkthrough.

• I do want to go back to that extreme. DoTT was ace. I think it took me 3 months to solve... Or maybe 3 weeks. But whatever, it is a far cry from 5x3 hours.

I phoned the helpline for MI2 (I think it was getting the map pieces- I definitely couldn't solve the "monkey wrench" puzzle possibly not helped by being about 12 and not knowing the names of tools). I used a walkthrough for Broken Sword (or maybe BS2) when I failed to spot a pixel I could interact with... In general, it's always not spotting objects I can interact with that stall me.

Maybe had I not started playing these games pre-Internet, I wouldn't know how to solve the games without walk-throughs...? I really feel that it is a shame that people use walk-throughs. They are not necessary in these recent games and in relying on them, you are never developing the confidence to solve them on your own. I refuse to believe that people that use them are more stupid than those that don't- I believe that they are just more impatient and need to calm themselves down and learn how to approach the game anew. Or else they will never learn the skills these games can impart.

• @bobtheskutter said: I do want to go back to that extreme.

:D

There was a reason I said
    I don't necessarily want to go back to that extreme. (emphasis added)

Sure, I'd love to play a DOTT-like game again, too. I just don't think it's realistic to ask that of Telltale. I think we have to understand that our opinions on difficulty are not in the majority here, and that they would lose sales if they did that. I don't think they'd lose any sales, and could improve overall customer satisfaction, if they just brought the level of difficulty back to what it was in Season 2 or TOMI, at a minimum. That would be fine with me. For real challenging adventures, we'll have to look elsewhere, to smaller companies that aren't trying to be so mass-market. (I think the forthcoming JP and BTTF games, which are going to attract interest in a much broader segment of the gaming community than S&M, will tell us a lot about where TT is going. But expanding on that would take the thread even further off-topic, so I'll refrain. :) )

• User Avatar Image
    Sparifankerl BANNED

I try to avoid using walkthroughs, because I always get the feeling that the game has beat me when I do. And when I've used one once, I'm much more tempted to use it a second time, because it doesn't matter anymore anyway. Usually I'm patient enough to take my time until i've solved the puzzles or at least tried to for some time, even when I'm anxious to know how the story continues. The only exception here is LA's Grim Fandango, where I've played the entire third act using a walkthrough, because the story was so gripping (in my opinion it's the best LA adventure in terms of plot and atmosphere).

The only Telltale game I've needed help with so far is Strong Bad, which can be really hard to get 100%. For example, for one point you have to turn the hint rate to high, which I never would have guessed. But that's not really what I want, when I ask for harder puzzles. There are other good selling adventures that require more thinking while still being logical. So I don't think the business argument counts.

As for the hardest adventure I've seen so far, I would have to say the first Discworld game (not the text adventure). That game doesn't give you any hints at all, just general directions like "find six golden objects", which sometimes can only be heard once. And some of the puzzles are almost unsolvable. For example: in order to get a strange monk's black robe, you have to go back in time, catch a butterfly and use it on the street lamp under which the monk will be standing. That butterfly is none other than the infamous quantum butterfly, which can cause rainstorms by virtue of his wing's fractal edges, so in the present the monk will get wet and hang his robe up to dry and you will be able to steal it. Most of the puzzles are like that, they make some kind of sense in hindsight, but are almost impossible to guess at. And you have something like 30 items in your inventory, while used items often don't even disappear when you don't need them anymore, which makes simply trying everything a very long and boring endeavour. I still liked the game though, because it was funny, although rather silly.

• I used walkthroughs at east once in every episode of Season 1 and 2 (except 204) but never in season 3. It may be that I was getting smarter or that the game was easier, I think it would be the latter. But I'll often go on walkthroughs if it's somewhere I'm stuck, I mean how many of these people who say "Back in my day when we didn't have the internet" are going this is fun when they're waiting trying to work out what to do? And the older games were harder (I still don't knoe hot to use the binoculars in Hit the Road even after reading a walthrough) but as adventure games become more populour they have to aim at a new novice market.

• I didn't use a walkthrough for season 3, but I always have hints on high, not to use them, but to hear the extra dialogue.

• Yes, you are. You're a freak, nobody likes you and you were adopted.

Kidding, kidding.

I try to figure things out on my own, but then I find a good guide and continue to use it. Since I already have it pulled up, anyway.

• @thom-22 said: I think we have to understand that our opinions on difficulty are not in the majority here,

*cries*

Add Comment