User Avatar Image

Tom Wilson

posted by Threepwood4Life on - last edited - Viewed by 5.3K users

We all know Tom Wilson for playing Biff in all 3 BTTF movies plus he reprised the role for the now deceased BTTF ride and the animated series but I was wondering, do you think TellTale could pull it off and actually get him to voice Biff again?

The reason why I ask is cause of recent years, Wilson has been distancing himself from the series, he won't sign memorabilia, he doesn't like been asked questions about it, he admitted in an interview years ago he was embarrased about his role which is a real shame cause I don't understand why?

Some say its cause hes afraid of typecasting but to be honest he is been typecast in a way cause he does a lot of voiceover work and most of the characters he plays are like bully types very much like Biff, I've seen this a lot on Spongebob Squarepants when he voices an episode.

275 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • but still they got Tom's likeness rights, didn't they?

No they didn't.

Except for Micheal j Fox and Crispin Glover, the likeness rights is Universal's problem.

• @Pinchpenny said: He doesn't say in the image you posted that he would have loved do it, just that he wasn't contacted. If he has indeed tried to distance himself from the Back to the Future franchise as I've read in this thread, then I don't think he would have loved to do it. Hell, he could have contacted them himself if he was so keen, but evidently he isn't.

I think they're possibly just interpreting he comment about obviously wanting to release an inferior product. Doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd say if you weren't interesting in doing it.

• Woah, woah. Lemme get this straight:

Tom isn't too keen on his role as Biff and has tried to disassociate himself from it in recent years (for understandable reasons, I guess). But now he's suddenly sour grapes because Telltale didn't contact him about being the character he's openly dissed in the game?

.... My head hurts.

• Woah, woah. Lemme get this straight:

Tom isn't too keen on his role as Biff and has tried to disassociate himself from it in recent years (for understandable reasons, I guess). But now he's suddenly sour grapes because Telltale didn't contact him about being the character he's openly dissed in the game?

.... My head hurts.

He never did that ? oO He's just pissed that people only talk to him about the movies. He never said he hated the movies nor his character...

If a game is made out of the movies that made your career and use your character and likeness, and aren't even contacted, wouldn't you be a little pissed ?

I mean, look at Star wars actors ... That doesn't mean they're not all up for some voice acting or photoshooting from time to time ...

• ^
    Still.....if you want to distance yourself from BttF, doing a voice in the game isn't the way to do that.

But now that I think about it....maybe he doesn't want to distance himself. Just like is said he's just tired of people ONLY associating him with BttF and nothing else. As if that's the only thing he's done.

I think Tom Wilson embraces BttF. He's real thankful for the experience and he wrote a song relating to it in his show. If he really wanted to dinstance himself he wouldn't have done that. He's just a little tired of all the 'Butthead requests and 'Hey, McFly!'

I think Tom Wilson was willing to do this. I think he'd approach it as a gig. Means to earn his bread. I mean it's the most easy money for him and probably a lot of fun with little stress. Just 2 days worth of speaking lines of a character you're familiar with.

• Honestly? I pretty much remember Tom as the good-but-paranoid/conspiracy theorist cop Matt Bluestone from 'Disney's Gargoyles'. It wasn't until recently (thanks to TV Tropes) did I find out he was Biff.

Go figure.

• The guy happened to appear in one of the most beloved comedy-adventure movies of the 20th century (and its well-loved sequels). I could see distancing myself from it in 1995, 2000 and maybe up until 2005, but eventually you have to admit "People loved me in this movie. 25 years later people love it more than ever. Maybe it's time to embrace it, as I haven't managed to top that in a quarter of a century." That's not to say he's not an accomplished comedian and actor, but he struck gold out of the gate, like Cuba Gooding Jr. There are a million actors who would kill for that opportunity. Come on, Tom! Hug it out, Biff!

• @Vainamoinen said: I can understand if he was left out for budgetary reasons (this game is expensive enough for such a small company; something Wilson doesn't seem to grasp by commenting "they're shooting for an inferior product").

This has to be the reason (well, either that or they contacted his agent and the agent passed on Wilson's behalf without consulting with him). I really don't think Telltale would intentionally not contact him if they could afford him.

Honestly, it's Telltale's silence on this topic that bothers me more than Wilson's comments and his conflicting attitudes toward BTTF. Somebody from the team popping in here and saying "Sorry, our voice actor budget just wasn't big enough" (or whatever the real explanation is) would end all the speculation right away. Are there legalities involved with doing something like that?

• I think the role portrayed him in a very negative way, and all though he received a lot of very positive attention for the role, he did not feel that it was his best work and does not like considering it being his most well known work.

• ^
    Imho I do think it's his best work together with his comedy shows, the guy is seriously funny. Apart from these I haven't seen his other work though, so why am I so hasty to dare say BttF is one of his best works if not best?

In the movies, especially BttF2, pulls off an amazing feat. He displays five(five!) different alterations of Biff(I am counting Griff) and somehow he makes you forget they are all played by the same actor! He displays them all so well and all in their own way. That is just an admirable piece of acting.

Even now when I rewatch BttF 2 and I see the 'evil Biff' from 1985A I have trouble imagining it's the same guy playing the 'Bully Biff' in 1985 and the same guy playing a crazy futuristc teenager in 2015.

Add Comment