22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Who would want to buy this game?
    Edit: So they pack 1-3 in one package for 10$, 4-6 in another one for another 10$ and then they team up the actually good KQ7 with the piece of horse**** that is KQ8. for another 10$.

That is 30$ for all the games in the KQ-collection that is 20$ on steam or even only 10€ in the european Steam-store. No thanks.

• @der_ketzer said: Who would want to buy this game?

I've heard bad things... is it really awful?

• @tabstis said: I've heard bad things... is it really awful?

watch the reviews at GOG yourself.

I was sorely disappointed with the story, the graphics, the controls, everything that KQ8 "offered". I can understand completely why Sierra left it out of their original package of the first 7 games.

While KQ6 remains my favorite in the series, KQ7 is a great game. It's got interesting and refreshing characters, great graphics and a fun story. KQ8 on the other hand is, well not very good. I honestly can't comment on the story too much because I don't remember it well and because I never finished the game. I do remember that it wasn't good enough to keep me playing with all the other flaws - bad graphics, and I don't mean fidelaty (i.e. polygon count), but rather the art direction, which was uninspired to say the least. Worst than that was just the bland boring gameplay. It was like a poor man's RPG or something - some weird mix of combat and adventure gameplay, that didn't work at all.

The other, well... If the dark, muddy screenshots don't put you off, add to this a horrible control mechanism, and pointless, dull and reptitive combat on top of a mediocre 3D adventure game.

• @tabstis said: I've heard bad things... is it really awful?

Define awful. As an adventure game, yeah, it's pretty awful and I'm not surprised fans of the series despised it. But people have been known to enjoy it as more of an action RPG. Not a great one, but I've seen worse.

I think there's an old demo for the game, try Google-ing that and check it out for yourself if you're curious.

• I can understand completely why Sierra left it out of their original package of the first 7 games.

The reason why it was left out was because the game was buggy, and wouldn't work in vista. It was very buggy even in XP (still had spots it could lock up). Unlike GOG, the last Vivendi Universal who released the 2006 pack didn't take the time to hex-edit the game to fix installation bugs. GOG on the other hand prides themselves in making games work, and patching things so they will work.

Might still be buggy though.

As for the game it outsold Grim Fandango back in the day, go figure. Not the best KQ game, but eh still have had my fun playing through it a few times. As for the story, actually had alot of potential. Probably has the most epic storyline of the series, after KQ6. Unfortunately the ending is so anti-climactic after all the build-up.

As for that 2006 pack, I have other gripes about it... Lacked the original KQ1 (gog's release lacks the KQ1 remake, go figure). Lacked installer for KQ6 enhanced version (the windows version). It only had 16 bit windows version of KQ7, version 1.4, rather than the 2.0 dos version (so its more buggy, and won't work in windows 64bit versions). My copy also had some rather horrible graphic textbox glitches in KQ2 and KQ6 in the pack. It was just shoddy as hell.

• 1-7 I love... I remember really looking forward to 8 and reading any article I could find about it and then really being angry when I finally got to play it... I felt really betrayed.

• @PimPamPet said: Define awful. As an adventure game, yeah, it's pretty awful and I'm not surprised fans of the series despised it. But people have been known to enjoy it as more of an action RPG. Not a great one, but I've seen worse.

Not played it but it sounds to me like it was made similar to Quest for Glory. Am I close?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

there was only 7 in the bundle

• @seibert999 said: there was only 7 in the bundle

Yes, they left out the Eighth one in the King's Quest Collection, most likely because you can't simply use DOSbox to emulate it.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

@Blooglspash said: Yes, they left out the Eighth one in the King's Quest Collection, most likely because you can't simply use DOSbox to emulate it.

that was stupid of them to do that.

Add Comment