User Avatar Image

I'm not sure if this a good idea for TTG!

posted by Mr. Doctor. Professor on - last edited - Viewed by 767 users

Telltale is really best at making adventure games! The Jurassic Park concept doesn't, for the most part, lend itself to adventure games! The best type of Jurassic Park game is one where you you get a bunch of different weapons and shoot at a bunch of cool looking dinosaurs! This isn't the type of game Telltale has made thus far and I'm not sure if they will start now! And Jurassic Park has, for the most part, no humor, so thats out! Unless your gonna spend you whole time running around looking for keys to open doors with dinosaurs chasing you or something, I don't really see what they can do with this!

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Don't be so certain, Jurassic Park is not really about shooting Dinosaurs it's more about Atmosphere and story, and telltale is capable to do that, all I ask is they capture both those qualities and I'll be pleased.

  • Well, apparently Jurassic Park is going to be adapted into a game slightly different than anything Telltale have done before. They said it'll feel more like there's a sense of danger and urgency, and it won't necesarilly be finding out puzzle solutions at your own pace, becuase there may be a dinosaur coming right around the corner. I think this could be pretty exciting.

    As I believe somebody on the Mixnmojo podcast said, Jurassic Park is not so story based as it is running from dinosaurs based. In that respect, Telltale could better the movies.

  • User Avatar Image
    Sinaz20 Telltale Staff

    @Mr. Doctor. Professor said: Telltale is really best at making adventure games! The Jurassic Park concept doesn't, for the most part, lend itself to adventure games! The best type of Jurassic Park game is one where you you get a bunch of different weapons and shoot at a bunch of cool looking dinosaurs! This isn't the type of game Telltale has made thus far and I'm not sure if they will start now! And Jurassic Park has, for the most part, no humor, so thats out! Unless your gonna spend you whole time running around looking for keys to open doors with dinosaurs chasing you or something, I don't really see what they can do with this!



    I wholeheartedly disagree. Shooting dinosaurs makes for a great Turok or Dino Crisis game... but not Jurassic Park.

    Also, Jurassic Park has its humor-- not in dinosaurs doing funny songs and dances or anything, but simply in situational gags and dialog. I laughed often watching those movies. Malcom's wit. Grant avoiding the kids. The lawyer getting eaten off the can-- Jurassic Park is full of comic relief.

    What makes Jurassic Park a great license for adventure gaming is matching wits with the brutal instinctive nature of these creatures. Horror. Suspense. And interesting characters with conflicting agendas.

    In the first Jurassic Park movie there was one type of weapon-- a shotgun. And we never get to see a dinosaur get shot. In fact, the only one that does get shot is the Raptor being loaded into the paddock at the beginning of the movie, and the scene cuts before we see it. Muldoon mentions having to put another down.

    In JP II, dinosaurs are shot at... but none are killed by gunfire. In fact, most of the shooting is done with tranquilizers. JP III, the Spinosaurus is simply chased off with a flare gun.

    It's not a combat movie franchise.

    I hope you'll give JP a chance, even though it's not going to be a run-and-gun Turok clone. I think you'll understand where we saw the "adventure" in the franchise.

  • Yes! Finally a dinosaur game that isn't going to be a mindless shooting. Thanks for your comments, Sinaz20, you just gave me even more hope for this game!

    It's gonna rock!

  • Jurassic Park as an Adventure should work pretty well considering that both Islands have a high-security infrastructure that can laid out like a maze in the game.

  • I think the adventure genre fits Jurassic Park better than any other videogame genre. It really has all the hallmarks. You've got an isolated location, tons of locked doors and fences that need keys or power rebooted or whatnot, potential danger around every corner. The characters are often lost and have to find their way to safety. There's usually a complex abandoned structure to be explored. It really has a great setup for a great adventure game.

    And it's a wonderful opportunity for Telltale because it gives them a chance to tell a story that is more realistic and doesn't hinge on completely absurd situations and characters (and yes, I realize how strange it is to say that about a story with dinosaurs in it).

    I know Telltale has said this won't be a "point and click dinosaur game" but I hope they don't stray too far from the adventure game genre just because they think people want a Jurassic Park game that is more about shooting dinosaurs. There's a lot of adventure potential there.

  • As I've mentioned before, I'm more excited for the Back to the Future game, but I'm more interested to see how the Jurassic Park game turns out. BttF fits perfectly into BttF's wheelhouse. Jurassic Park on the other hand... not as much. That's not to say they can't use it, but the JP game should really show some from TTG that we haven't seen yet.

  • @Sinaz20
    You're definately the first person i know who says that JP has interesting characters.

    I think the best aspects about JP (part 1 was way better than the rest) are Spielberg's capabilities, the dinos, ILM, Sam Neill & Jeff Goldblum, maybe some of the humour, did i mention the dinos already?

  • @Spykes said: That's not to say they can't use it, but the JP game should really show some from TTG that we haven't seen yet.



    That's the great part. Everyone's been saying for years that Telltale should try their hand at a more serious, plot-driven game and here it is. It's a chance for them to branch out.

  • @Spykes said: As I've mentioned before, I'm more excited for the Back to the Future game, but I'm more interested to see how the Jurassic Park game turns out. BttF fits perfectly into BttF's wheelhouse. Jurassic Park on the other hand... not as much. That's not to say they can't use it, but the JP game should really show some from TTG that we haven't seen yet.



    Yeah, to be honest, I think TTG would be definitely be better suited to Back to the Future than JP. Only time will tell.

Add Comment