User Avatar Image

Uninstalling Adventure Bundle is DANGEROUS

posted by wccrawford on - last edited - Viewed by 298 users

I told it to install to my D:\Games directory, thinking it would create a subdirectory like every other game I've ever installed. When I noticed that it didn't, I uninstalled it.

It deleted ALL my games. Gone. No recourse.

16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Every uninstaller does that, all it does is delete everything in the folder it installed too.

    You could have just deleted the files manually, lesson learned hopefully.

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    You can try if reverting to a system restore point shortly before the uninstallation recovers your games.

    Edit: System restore doesn't work reliably in that case

  • No! I registered for the forums just to contradict what's being said here.

    1 - NO, not every installer does that. NO installer does that. Installers are supposed to delete ONLY what they create and nothing else. Telling it to delete everything in a directory is incredibly irresponsible and sloppy. In fact, Bungie got stung by this as way back when they were releasing Myth: The Fallen Lords. They ended up issuing a massive recall that cost them a ton of money because they used this method, and if someone installed the game to their root (C:\) and then subsequently uninstalled it, they'd wipe their hard drive.

    2 - No, don't bother doing a system restore. They only restore previous version of the registry, drivers, and a few other things. Deleted files are not included in system restores. Realistically, you'll roll back to an earlier period where the last few applications you installed weren't installed, and they'll be unregistered (but not removed), breaking those installations as well.

    You're out of luck here, wc. Take this as a lesson not to trust software blindly, and always create a subdirectory for something to be installed to. Fortunately you can always reinstall your other games. Look on the bright side, at least you changed it from C:\program files\ ...now THAT would have been a disaster.

  • Every wasn't the right word (as is "no installer does that") but I've encountered several that do.

    I have no idea what the technical stuff behind it is but I've used many a installer that completely wipes the install directory, usually programs that create extra files after installation so you aren't left with 100 bug dump files or whatever.

  • @onan said:
    2 - No, don't bother doing a system restore. They only restore previous version of the registry, drivers, and a few other things. Deleted files are not included in system restores. Realistically, you'll roll back to an earlier period where the last few applications you installed weren't installed, and they'll be unregistered (but not removed), breaking those installations as well.

    You obviously don't understand how system restore works. I would put back deleted files as the restore points cover the entire hard drive. I actually had to re uninstall a few things the last time I did it because it restores them.

    I also have a hard time listen to someone who says they just register to yell and rant about installers and who's name is an anagram for "anon"

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    I made a quick test with system restore. It does recover uninstalled software, but not entirely. A lot of files of the installed game (W&G 101) were still missing after restore, so it's obviously not reliable enough for that purpose. I edited my post above to reflect that.

    If there are any important files lost from that folder, which can not be recovered by reinstalling, downloading, backups or otherwise, it is worth a shot trying file recovery software though.

  • @mateo360 said: You obviously don't understand how system restore works. I would put back deleted files as the restore points cover the entire hard drive. I actually had to re uninstall a few things the last time I did it because it restores them.

    I also have a hard time listen to someone who says they just register to yell and rant about installers and who's name is an anagram for "anon"

    Actually you're wrong. System restore does not usually indiscriminately restore files and certainly won't restore the entire contents of a games folder. You obviously don't understand how system restore works.

  • @Sir Primalform Magnifico said: Actually you're wrong. System restore does not usually indiscriminately restore files and certainly won't restore the entire contents of a games folder. You obviously don't understand how system restore works.

    I have restores made every week and anytime I have had to go back to one I have had to redelete things that I had already deleted before having to restore. I have also had to reinstall things which is annoying. I have a good grasp of how it works.

  • File recovery software such as "Recuva" should be able to restore everything.

  • I restored an entire hard drive that was formated, so it should be possible to restore your games. I think I used Easeus Partition Recovery. If you can easily re-install the games I wouldn't bother restoring it. But files that are deleted aren't actually wiped from the drive until they're over-written (unless you format the drive, which isn't foolproof either). They are just taken out of the index that your hard drive uses to keep track of files, thus allowing new files to write over them.

    And if the Great Adventure Bundle really deletes all files, even those unrelated to the games, when you uninstall.... that's quite an issue. Has anyone else tested or experienced this?

Add Comment