User Avatar Image

Any difference between DVD install versus entire season download install?

posted by sfried on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

I was thinking about getting either the Standard or Deluxe Edition discs since I don't want to leave too big a footprint on my hard disk (approx 500 MB per episode), and not to mention I want to be able to play all the episodes without any "gaps" (i.e. cliffhangers) as if it were just one whole game.

Is there any way to play the entire season as if it were just one program? I have tons of icon clutter going on already, and it would be nice if I could play all of them by simply running one application, not to mention save game data would be read from one chapter to the next.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, installing the games on a DVD gives you one .exe shortcut that has a selection screen for the chapters, as well as the DVD extras if you have the disc in the drive. I would go for installing the games on the DVD if you're worried about the clutter on your desktop.

• DVD also has Earl Boen in Chapter 1.

• Also, the DVD has no DRM, and when you launch the games, they open directly without running the launcher. There's also no "thanks for playing" thing when you quit.

• @OzzieMonkey said: Well, installing the games on a DVD gives you one .exe shortcut that has a selection screen for the chapters, as well as the DVD extras if you have the disc in the drive. I would go for installing the games on the DVD if you're worried about the clutter on your desktop.

Is this true? Is the install size smaller too (since everything would be ran off the disc)?

That said, one person said that the DVD doesn't install as one file, but I guess they're wrong if that's the case.

I might as well get the Collector's Edition.

• @sfried said: Is this true?

In my experience, yes.

@sfried said: Is the install size smaller too (since everything would be ran off the disc)?

I haven't actually compared the installs, but it's probably not appreciably smaller, because it's not run off the disc. The game is fully installed to your computer from the disc, and does not need to be in the drive to play.

• @sfried said: Is this true? Is the install size smaller too (since everything would be ran off the disc)?

That said, one person said that the DVD doesn't install as one file, but I guess they're wrong if that's the case.

I might as well get the Collector's Edition.

Well, I'm not entirely sure about install size, but I know that when you install the DVD you will get a launcher, as I mentioned previously. No, the DVD doesn't install as one file, they are still pretty much installed the exact same way as the downloadable versions, so the only advantage is the launcher.

• So what happens when you reach the end of the chapter? Do you jump to the next one immediately or so you have to watch the credits first, exit the chapter, and play the next one off the launcher?

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have gotten the Deluxe Edition in hindsight. I didn't need all of those trinkets...just the nice case art. Besides this would technically be my first foray into the series (also gotten MI:SE and MI2:SE off Steam but haven't played them yet), so I'm not so sure what to do with the coasters and stuff.

• Yeah, you have to exit the game and load the next chapter manually.

Also, it was unofficially confirmed by Will that the DVD has zero DRM on it, so that's a huge bonus.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Yeah, you have to exit the game and load the next chapter manually.

That's kind of a bummer. I honestly though Telltale would just seam together the Chapters to make it play like a regular Monkey Island game. Instead I'd have to endure the stingers and 30 seconds of exit, select next chapter, then recap.

It's like watching a DVD series season with all of the ads still in-between the commercial breaks. (But I guess I'm just being nitpicky.)

• From a technical standpoint, it's just not possible. Besides, removing the recaps would require them to rewrite the beginning and end of each chapter, and that'd be plain wrong.

Plus it takes just over 6 hours to finish the game if you play it as fast as possible, and what sane person would do that in one stretch?

You know, unless they had a really good reason, like a race or something...

Add Comment