User Avatar Image

Lucasarts or Sirrea{Adventure game wise}

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 480 users

Now during the games of adventure{Before they were slowly dying out when FPS games came around and before telltale games was around}. Two companies were at the heads of each other with adventure games, Sirrea and Lucasarts. Now who would you say was better with adventure games?

70 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Never played any Sirrea games. Are they as good as Sierra games?

LucasArts games were better IMO. Not only because you can't die, but they all were more appealing. Not to mention LucasArts' adventure franchises became a lot more respectable today. I mean, er, look at Larry's latest games. Eugh.

• @Falanca said: Not only because you can't die(...)

i see you never played maniac mansion...

anyway, i always liked the lucasarts or lucasfilm games titles a little better than the sierra stuff.

• I've already voted Lucasarts, simply because of Monkey Island. I am, however, interested to know what games Sierra released, because while I'm familiar with the name, I can't think of any of their games.

• I love both, I can't decide.

But if I had to pick only one, it would be Sierra... mostly because they have a lot more adventure games than Lucasarts does.

And I feel so nostalgic about both of the companies too.

• I really like the King's Quest games and Phantasmagoria and all the LA Adventures. So I choose both.

• I tried a couple Sierra games, but I could never really get into those. And all the stories of Sierra games punishing the player for not picking up a particular item in the very beginning of the game don't help.

In Lucas Arts games, it's at least always clear that you can still proceed, no matter what mistakes you made (with some exceptions, but those are mostly the older ones, such as Maniac Mansion (which is also a quite short game, but solvable in many different ways)) or the Indy games.

Plus, the SCUMM engine runs a lot smoother than whatever the Sierra games use. King's Quest (as an example, because I recently played that from the Adventure Bundle) can't even compute paths, and you need to manually navigate around corners or narrow passages with the mouse.

So yeah, if LucasArts games are already not playable for people who never played them back then, Sierra games beat them in that department by far. :(

• I voted both.

@Falanca said: Never played any Sirrea games. Are they as good as Sierra games?

This. Learn to proofread your posts, people come on.

@Falanca said: I've already voted Lucasarts, simply because of Monkey Island. I am, however, interested to know what games Sierra released, because while I'm familiar with the name, I can't think of any of their games.

Sierra has made more adventure games than LucasArts (which I owe to LA's obsession with Star Wars,) but Sierra started out making games earlier than LucasArts did so most of the games Sierra was popular for are somewhat older and therefore more dated in graphics quality and interface than the games that LucasArts is famous for. This isn't to say that Sierra's games aren't fun. In fact, the King's Quest series ranks in my top favorites of any adventure game series. Most LucasArts fanboys pick on Sierra though because of how easy it can be to die or get permanently suck in a Sierra game.

But really... The King's Quest series; the Space Quest series; the Quest for Glory series; the Leisure Suit Larry series; the Gabriel Knight trilogy; Laura Bow 1 & 2; Phantasmagoria 1 & 2; these among many other games...

Really, you couldn't think of any games?

• I think this poll is a bit unfair given that this company is a spiritual successor to lucasarts, and thus there's a bias towards lucasarts.

• @Chyron8472 said:
    But really... The King's Quest series; the Space Quest series; the Quest for Glory series; the Leisure Suit Larry series; the Gabriel Knight trilogy; Laura Bow 1 & 2; Phantasmagoria 1 & 2; these among many other games...

Really, you couldn't think of any games?

Sorry, but no. I am unfamiliar with all of these. I only know of the name Kings Quest because it was one of the games in the Adventure Bundle, and I think I recall the name Space Quest because it's been mentioned in some other thread. Other than that, no. I guess it's because I grew up with the Lucasarts games. After all I was very young. (Hoping that makes a good excuse)!:o

• I seem to be the only one that's voted "Sierra is best!" of course I grew up on sierra Games (I honestly dont think I ever played a LA game untill recently with scummVM)

Add Comment