User Avatar Image

Is there anyone here fans of animation?

posted by Darkblader on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

I thought I would bring up the conversation of animation on here. Everyone likes animated films, well not everyone. So are there anyone on here that happen to like animation? I am a fan of some animation, mostly the wacky golden age animation.

316 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That really depends on the question you're asking, and really the question you've presented is only slightly less broad than "Are you a fan of films?"

I love animation, or that is to say, I enjoy GOOD animation. I am fanatical about some to a degree other people never get to. I enjoy the early output and the history of the Walt Disney company, I know that Ub Iwerks essentially created Mickey Mouse and completely animated his first short on his own in a matter of days. I love the technology of classic animation and its advancement, including things like the MultiPlane Camera. I own a lot of 20s and 30s animation in particular in my collection, including the early applications of stop-motion animation by the likes of Ladislas Starevich(if you have Netflix, some of his shorts are under the Instant Queue under the title The Cameraman's Revenge and & Other Tales). The Walt Disney Treasures series, ESPECIALLY my Oswald the Lucky Rabbit set(the character is better known to many as "that other guy in Epic Mickey" -_-;;) are indispensable, well, treasures. More recently, but not TOO recently, Japanese animation was really good, as well. Kamui no Ken is probably one of the best-animated films I've ever seen, and the distinct cultural flair of Japanese animation and the sheer narrative quality that comes from shows that are actually aimed at adults(such things do exist, and no I am not referring to One Piece, Death Note, or Naruto) is simply fantastic. I'm of course horrendously inadequate when it comes to knowledge of animation though, especially outside of those two countries. Outside of American and Japanese animation, I only really extensively know about Soviet propaganda animation, so there's definitely a lot left for me to watch and study before I can say I really know anything about the medium.

On the other hand, if you're asking if I enjoy modern animated shows or films, Pixar, or any era's Saturday Morning flair? Hell no, with the odd exception(Batman: The Animated Series, Gargoyles with a couple caveats, etc) that proves the rule.

• The first class I ever had when I first went to art school was History of Animation. The first movie we saw there? Fritz the Cat.

What a wonderful way to initiate the poor, defenseless students who were expecting some Disney stuff immediately!

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I adore animation. I love the process of it, I love watching it, and I love making it. I like everything from the original black and white silent short animated films (my first animation was a tribute to those cartoons), the traditional hand-drawn films, computer animated 3D graphics films and computer animated 2D films, and stop-motion animation.

I'm a huge fan of Disney, Pixar, Aardman Animations, Don Bluth, Chuck Jones, and Max Fleischer. I enjoy television animation too. I love the DC Animated Universe (Batman: The Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited), Futurama, The Simpsons, The Critic, Clerks: The Animated Series.

As a matter of fact, thinking about it, at least half of my DVD collection is animation, and even more so if you count computer-generated imagery in films as animation (which I do personally, but it's a highly debated subject).

• yes.

EDIT: I suppose I should expand further. Yes, I like animation. I am studying it, in fact. In terms of how pretentious are my tastes, I'm pretentious enough to have seen a bunch of non-American nor Japanese animated films and pretentious enough to dislike most of Family Guy and Shrek, but I'm not pretentious enough to hate all anime, and I'm not pretentious enough to like Ralph Bakshi or Ren & Stimpy Adult's Party Cartoon. I like most everything, really, or at least I'm willing to give most everything a chance!

EDIT2: Except for Total Drama Island and any of the spin-offs. Those suck hard.

• I like every animation that was ever made.

Okay, maybe that's going a bit too far, but it was a pretty general question. I like a lot of animation, it's hard to narrow it down. Most of it is Western, I'm kinda 'meh' on most modern anime, but I love the Lupin III series and Studio Ghibli.

• @PecanBlue said: The first class I ever had when I first went to art school was History of Animation. The first movie we saw there? Fritz the Cat.

What a wonderful way to initiate the poor, defenseless students who were expecting some Disney stuff immediately!

haha oh wow

• Yep, and the second movie: Felidae. Then we went on to the less traumatizing movies, though Watership Down was thrown somewhere in there.

I would later find out that professor loved to torment the students who were fans of Disney and/or anime coming into the school expecting to work somewhere in those fields, though, so it's all good!

• @PecanBlue said: Yep, and the second movie: Felidae.

That is the most awesome professor ever. I love that movie, it's one of the few instances where I like the movie almost as much as I like the book. And it makes Watership Down look tame.

• Haha, yeah I enjoyed it too, but though it tops Watership Down with its adult themes, I think I liked Watership Down more. (Who can resist that ending and Bright Eyes?)

I remember when he put on Felidae one kid was freaking out: "Oh no it's THIS movie! Have fun not sleeping tonight, guys!" Then I kept watching it and I'm all "well, I'm not sure what demographic this movie was aiming for but it's not so ba-"

*SCENE WITH LIVE CAT PUPPETS*

"Welp!"

Then it was all downhill from there.

Add Comment