User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island hated more than Escape??

posted by Ash735 on - last edited - Viewed by 736 users

With an article over at Kotaku asking about the chances of a new Monkey Island game done by the original creators (apparently Dave doesn't count), there are actually a lot of comments that seem to show a lot of hatred to TellTale Games and Tales of Monkey Island from the community, which I'm actually surprised at:

[quote]I never got into the Telltale installments of "Monkey Island", since the visuals are really.. well, they are not that good (to say it in a polite way) and I read much about the games being too easy.[/quote]
[quote]Yeah i bought the Telltale Monkey Island series on the principle of supporting Monkey Island, played about halfway through the first installment and haven't been back to it. The sub par visual quality is what really let that "Tales" series down and i just couldn't get past it.

I also bought the first MI:SE on principle of supporting more MI games in the future, I tried playing the updated version and hated it, the animation (i know they wanted to keep it the same as the old version but it just didn't work) and the character design were some of the worst I've witnessed considering the wealth of original source material to draw from. MI2:SE is a marked improvement but still, I'd love to see a fresh new adventure game from the original creators, Monkey Island or not.[/quote]
[quote]I concur. The game is good though the graphics aren't, imo. It just seems genetic esp how most of the characters use the same polygon base.

It isn't just MI, but also Sam and Max.[/quote]
[quote]Even though i bought it and tried playing it, in my mind I'd just rather forget they put that 'Tales' series out.[/quote]
[quote]Yeah, but honestly for me it did not feel like an authentic Monkey Island game play and visually wise,[/quote]
[quote]What about TellTale?

inferior.[/quote]
[quote]The people thinking that the Tales of Monkey Island' quality is remotely close to the two originals are strange.[/quote]
[quote]I'd love to see them do a new Monkey Island full length game. No offense to the episodic one, it was good, but it did not compare to the originals (and the best IMHO was the 3rd game, Curse of Monkey Island).[/quote]

63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Wow... just... wow...

and here I thought CG modeled realistically shaded 3D characters with perfectly timed animations were better than pixelated characters who's mouths "blink" instead of open and close (though the pixels do more in the later games iirc)

Sounds to me like somone(s) is(are) pining for the olden days... yeah IN THEIR TIME those games had good graphics, but my today's standards, ToMI is 110% better!

What do these people want? Live actors? (I'd love to see a live-action scene and people complaining "the graphics aren't up-to-par" lol)

But what can you say.....
    HatersGonnaHatePanda.jpg

• Well, MI is a pretty convoluted series. You had the MI2 ending, then CMI tried explaining it, then EMI came with bad controls, mediocre graphics and a strange plot and almost a decade later we got TMI, a great game that also had a few drawbacks. Plus we all had a issue or two with the Special Editions. The series goes up and down and we get plotholes, differences in artstyle, graphics, odd controls, puzzle difficulty... all kinds of minor issues with this or that... Don't get me wrong. I really, really love all the games, but I won't blame people who don't.

• It sounds to me like many people played half-way through the first episode, decided they didn't like straying outside their 2D, point-and-click, nostalgia-based comfort zone, and walked away without looking back.

In any case, don't overlook the positive comments alongside the negative ones!

• yeah most said they didnt play the other episodes which is unfair. The first episode was the worst of tales. In fact it got better as it went.

• I had this discussion with a friend of mine yesterday.
    We're both big Monkey Island fans, the only difference is that I gave Tales a chance.
    I love Tales, even though it has it's drawbacks.
    My friend just kept longing for the big bombastic big boxed adventure games of 10-15 years ago.
    He didn't like the way the episodic formula worked with Monkey Island, and that's why he didn't give it a chance.

I think this might be one of the main reasons why people dislike it, so much has changed in the adventure gaming community since the last part and people refer Monkey Island to the classic times. The big budget times.

Ah well, we shouldn't worry too much about those people. Tales has a huge fanbase and Telltale an even bigger one. The way things are looking it's gonna be a long time until the second death of adventure games. Let's just enjoy the ride.

• @Joop said: I think this might be one of the main reasons why people dislike it, so much has changed in the adventure gaming community since the last part and people refer Monkey Island to the classic times. The big budget times.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

I have always loved the original two MI games the best, and can come up with a whole host of reasons why I consider them better. But I can't deny that nostalgia is coloring my view (as I'm sure it is with many others).

I guess it comes down to whether someone wants to just replay the old games they remember and love over and over again, or give the current wave of adventure game additions to the genre a chance. I love the enthusiasm that Telltale has created and am thrilled to play the new games. There's much enjoyment to be found in them.

• I used to think CMI was the best MI game between MI 1 and 4, but now I like TMI the best, because the graphics is much better than old MI games, the story is more meaningful and Guybrush is more mature. Sure, I found the puzzles in TMI was a little bit easy, but I found it less frustrating. Most importantly, Telltale is the one which gave MI a new life. Without TMI, Lucasarts probablly kept MI series R.I.P. I even wonder if LA made special editions of MI 1 and 2 if Telltale hadn't been making TMI.

• @Bubblechan said: Most importantly, Telltale is the one which gave MI a new life. Without TMI, Lucasarts probablly kept MI series R.I.P. I even wonder if LA made special editions of MI 1 and 2 if Telltale hadn't been making TMI.

Considering that Dominic Armato was contacted about SOMI:SE first, even if just by a hair, it seems far more likely that(as Dave Grossman says in this interview) it is far more attributable to Darrell Rodriguez at LucasArts than to Telltale Games.

• My older brother who happens to be a fan of MI has enjoyed the first 3 games but however he hates Escape. He dislikes it so much that he even thinks its not even part of the canon series. He even avoids it like the plaque, even though he has said good things about Telltale's games{He likes Sam and max and Strong bad games if you guys are wondering} he has yet to play Tales. Been too busy on his hands with his job.

Curse of Monkey Island will always remain as my favorite game for the PC, I think it would have been easier just to call off the series with the 3rd game.

Add Comment