User Avatar Image

Your least favorite Telltale game.

posted by SammenMacks128 on - last edited - Viewed by 136 users

We're all fans of Telltale here, but I'm sure everyone has a game from Telltale that they were never partcularly... fond of. I don't know, I just thought it'd be an interesting subject. So fellow TTG fans, letterrip!

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but Season 3. It felt a bit too much like they were "dumbing down" the game for the PS3 players.

• @RingmasterJ5 said: I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but Season 3. It felt a bit too much like they were "dumbing down" the game for the PS3 players.

Apparently, they're actually being dumbed down for Dave Grossman's Mother-in-Law, specifically.

But I agree with the general sentiment of your post, whether or not I think PS3 players or assumptions about PS3 players specifically are to blame(I really don't think this is the case). There is a line being streamlining and simplifying, between making something accessible and making something simply stupid. If you look at some of the best games, they start out handing you the tools you need to play and teaching them to you, and then they ramp up the difficulty exponentially. Good examples of this are the first Super Mario Bros and, for a more contemporary example, Portal. It's an extremely difficult thing to do, but when it's pulled off well your players will recognize it. Instead, it seems like Telltale made Season Three into a game that starts in a place that "Subject M" could handle, but then it never tries to teach "Subject M" anything new. It's so afraid of challenging "Subject M" or any analogous player that it ends up being broken by design.

• I can't say as I have a least favourite as I only bought what I thought sounded interesting.
    So if it counts, as those I didn't find interesting and therefore didn't buy. Then it would have to be the other games besides, ToMI and Sam & Max. The rest of the games just don't really interest me.

• *thinks* Hmm. Probably Bone: Out from Boneville. I don't dislike it, mind you. I never played Texas Hold 'Em, though.

• Situation: Comedy never worked for me.

• Oh, I was thinking of seasons rather than individual episodes. If I could use a single episode for my pick, Culture Shock.

• @Magic Emperor said: Oh, I was thinking of seasons rather than individual episodes. If I could use a single episode for my pick, Culture Shock.

But...you specified Out from Boneville. Which....is a single episode.

• I'm in for the Season 3 thing. The puzzles weren't fantastic as mentioned, but I wasn't fussed on the story either, the episodes were more like "oh look, this month Sam & max are doing a Godzilla parody" "oh look, this month Sam & Max are doing a Poirot parody" "oh look, this month Sam & Man are doing a Night of the Living Dead parody" with a nonsensical (and not season two *good* nonsensical) story loosely wrapped around it.

Otherwise i'd pick Bone, but i'm being lenient on them as they were early on and things needed to be learnt

• I haven't played episodes 4 and 5 yet, but if they're as good as episodes 1+2 and, a little less so, 3, and you lot think Devil's Playhouse is the worst then I declare a fight to the death.

Add Comment