User Avatar Image

I'm looking forJapanese region 3 drama with English subs

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 138 users

I'm watching Bewitched in Tokyo with English subs, working through that series. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of Japanese dramas that would be fun to watch and explore my imagination.

I've never been in Japan and I want to watch various different Japanese movies out of curiosity. Thanks.

I'm also interested in region 3 Japanese horror movies.

I prefer it be region 0 or 3...it gives me a reason to use my Japanese PS3 more often. :) Also, I can weed out other cultural influences a little more.

There's a live action drama called GTO. That looks sort of interesting...

Of course we're talking DVD because blue ray is region free and not 3...lol

Not to mention those insane prices.

8 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Are you certain you don't have a DVD player that has a region 0 code? You can check many models against a database of codes. Many models(more importantly, many cheap and widely available models) can easily be made into "region 0" players that play anything.

  • I thought region 0 meant region free. I know there's a few region free DVDS, many out there.

    I was looking for something cultural and interesting but all I find is American Anime fan boys and shows and cartoons that are very common here in the US that are region 1.

    Now, again, it seems you may have looked at the details I've just blown off...

  • @doodo! said: I thought region 0 meant region free. I know there's a few region free DVDS, many out there.

    I was looking for something cultural and interesting but all I find is American Anime fan boys and shows and cartoons that are very common here in the US that are region 1.

    Now, again, it seems you may have looked at the details I've just blown off...


    Region 0 does mean "region free". A region 0 DVD means that it will play in any region DVD player. A DVD player set to play "Region 0" can play any disc from any region.

    All DVD players are technically capable of playing any region DVD, it's just a software/firmware thing that locks them out. For many players, pressing a combination of remote control buttons opens up a secret menu that lets you set the region on the player. Setting this region to 0 lets it play any region disc. This is how I watch my international imports of things I don't expect to ever be sold in the US.

  • @Rather Dashing said: Region 0 does mean "region free". A region 0 DVD means that it will play in any region DVD player. A DVD player set to play "Region 0" can play any disc from any region.

    All DVD players are technically capable of playing any region DVD, it's just a software/firmware thing that locks them out. For many players, pressing a combination of remote control buttons opens up a secret menu that lets you set the region on the player. Setting this region to 0 lets it play any region disc. This is how I watch my international imports of things I don't expect to ever be sold in the US.

    WT? DVD players have cheat codes?

    :eek:

    Are you leading me on? This sounds like some sort of delusional conspiracy about players man...

    Secret menus...

    Hm...for what purpose, so that designers can intimately work on the product? Or is it some sort of YOU WIN! ?? You've found a secret level!

    :eek::confused::confused:

  • User Avatar Image
    Tor

    Here's my understanding of the situation... Electronics manufacturers want to make region free players, because that's what consumers want to buy. Manufacturers have to purchase a license from an organization called DVD Forum to be allowed to make DVD players though, and that license requires all players to implement region restrictions. So, they can't make players that are openly region free without violating the license terms.

    The solution is of course to make a "secret" menu for region switching, and then leak that fact all over the net. That way customers get the region free players that they want, and manufacturers have plausible deniability.

    'Oh, we're so terribly sorry. That menu was for internal use only, we have no idea how the instructions to activate it got posted all over the internet. Must have been an "accident", eh? Nudge nudge wink wink, say no more!'

    Mind you not everyone does this. Sony players for example are (to my knowledge) rarely region free because Sony also owns a movie studio -- and many of the studios want to restrict movie imports as much as possible.

    Also, region free Blu-ray players are much rarer than DVD players. Possibly the license for the BD-format is stricter on that point. I own a BD-player and I had to physically modify it in order to make it region free. My old cheapo DVD player could be made region free just by pushing a sequence of buttons on the remote.

  • @doodo! said: I'm watching Bewitched in Tokyo with English subs, working through that series. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of Japanese dramas that would be fun to watch and explore my imagination.

    I've never been in Japan and I want to watch various different Japanese movies out of curiosity. Thanks.

    I'm also interested in region 3 Japanese horror movies.

    Are you only interested in live-action, or are you interested in Anime too? (no I dont mean s*** like the "US" (butchered) shows like One Piece, Naruto, or SonicX) If you interested in anime, I can help, if you want live action... good luck!

  • @Ashton said: Are you only interested in live-action, or are you interested in Anime too? (no I dont mean s*** like the "US" (butchered) shows like One Piece, Naruto, or SonicX) If you interested in anime, I can help, if you want live action... good luck!

    I'm open to both. Right you are though, all I know of anime is what is on the cable TV.

Add Comment