Menu
User Avatar Image

Sam and max for mac?

posted by JohnFR on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

I know they released the Bone series for macos, so what about Sam and Max? I've been waiting 14 years for a sequel for cripes sake! It makes me frustrated that after so long, I am unable to put the 'episodes' on my computer.

81 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Telltale has *a lot* of Mac users in the company, and we are very interested in porting Sam & Max to the Mac, but it's not something we've made a firm decision on yet. We're pretty busy getting the games out for the PC right now.

• There are ways, but they are... questionable. So I'm afraid I'm not going to tell you how because I have no way of knowing whether you have bought the game and don't want to openly support illicit behaviour in these forums.

Sorry :/ I am hoping that me telling you its possible might get you thinking about how to do it, so good luck!

• Here's an alternative that might work, and if it's considered illegal, feel free to delete this post (just don't delete me :P)

There are quite a few PC emulators out there, and AFAIK, they're legal. I never used a Mac, so I don't know if PC emulators are anything like console emulators, but if they are, you'll need a legal copy of Windows (and Sam n' Max of course).

Just keep in mind: emulators are NOT very user friendly, and they can harm your computer if you don't know what your doing.

• It has already been discussed many times, there is three principal ways to have Windows programs working on Mac OS X if you have an intel processor, and just one if you have a PowerPC (and this one won't let you play to any 3D Game).

About the three programs :

First : BootCamp. It allows you to install windows in your hard drive (or external hard drive) and choose the OS you want when you switch on your computer. It works like a very good PC, graphic card, webcam and everything drivers has been written by Apple. Actually that's the only way to play to Sam&Max Season 1. You need a CD of Windows and a CD Key.

Second : There is Parallels Desktop. It allows you to launch windows like a program under Mac OS X. It does not affect your processor speed but you need lots of ram (at least 2Gigs because XP is bad optimised and OS X is still running). Actually, you can only use apps that don't need graphic acceleration. Most of them doesn't, but games does. Future releases will support graphic acceleration, but for the moment it is not possible.
    You need also a Windows CD (or ISO) and a proper key. You can also use the same partition than BootCamp, but Microsoft don't let you authorize two windows ; so one of the two cannot use "genuine authentication required" programs.

Third one : An application called CrossOver let you launch Windows programs under OS X without installing windows. You just have to prepare them to fit in a "bottle" as they call it. Actually it doesn't work with legally pruchased version of Sam&Max, someone told it works with cracked one, I didn't try because I don't have this.

For the moment, I'm forced to launch this ugly, buggy and unfriendly windows XP to play with Sam&Max via BootCamp, and it works perfectly.
    BootCamp is free (Parallels and Crossover are not).

• I have a MacBook with Bootcamp and Windows XP. Sam and Max runs fin (if a little raggy due to my patethic 512 MB of RAM).

I usually play on my windows destop, but activated on my laptop as well so I have Sam and Max on the go. I plan to install an extra GB of RAM when budget allows. I expect that Sam and Max will run much more smoothly then.

I even have Adventure Games Studio (AGS) games like Apprentice, Shivah, and Super Jazz Man on my Mac Laptop :)

• So how does Windows XP handle the Mac hardware in your MacBook, Rasher? Did you need to install special drivers or something?

--Erwin

• boot camp creates a driver CD for you :)

• Mac's use pretty standard hardware these days and have done for years - My girlfriends 4-year old iMac (the PPC lampshade one) uses standard Laptop-style SODIMMs, a DVD/CD-RW combi drive and a GeForce 2 MX.

The only thing that's really proprietary about them anymore is the OS, and Jobs 'n' co. are under increasing pressure to allow it to be released for non-Apple hardware, especially since the latest stuff is x86-based and we have Bootcamp etc.
    Infact, if Apple allowed people to install the OS on anything but their massively overpriced designer hardware, they'd probaby overtake Microsoft's installed userbase in a heartbeat!

• Optimaximal > you sure forget taht the power of Macintosh today is synergy. Remember the simple quote from the last keynote :

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware."

A big part of stability of Mac OS X is because every part of the hardware is already known and controlled by the OS. There is no drivers to install, nothing at all. It's all bundled.
    Yesterday, a report has been posted, about the average price of laptops for example. Let's see... oh ! it's just 50 bucks less than a macbook.
    Mac are not expansive, it's most of the time cheaper than equal configuration's PCs (most of the time, not all the time, don't bring me "hey look at the mac mini" :P).

And yes it uses standard hardware, but you cannot use same drivers : I cant use official catalyst to manage my graphic card, even under windows.

• User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

Yeah, I don't think Jobs will ever let MacOS officially go out to non-Apple machines, because his big thing is that Apple maintains quality by making every aspect of the computer (hardware/software/design/peripherals) in the same place. Letting you drop OS X on a Dell or homebuilt PC would run pretty contrary to that.

Add Comment