User Avatar Image

Should the Hook Have Stayed? Or is the Hand Welcome Back?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 595 users

In episode 2 of ToMI, "Siege of Spinner Cay", we were all horribly shocked to see Guybrush's hand sliced off by one Morgan LeFlay. But then Guybrush acquired a hook and used that as a replacement. For most of us, it was a welcome change to the character of Guybrush Threepwood, and in a way, it made him feel more piratey. Then of course, in episode 5, "Rise of the Pirate God", Guybrush acquired a new hand, along with his new body (yet, somehow he still retained his memories). Guybrush seemed elated to have his hand back, but the question is, did the audience feel the same way?

Disregarding whether or not Telltale would have been allowed to leave Guybrush with only one hand at the end of ToMI, what would you have preferred? A hand on the end of Guybrush's arm, or a hook?

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I liked the hook for this season as it was different and daring, but I'm glad the hand is back as you can achieve much more with a hand than a hook. I think there's only so many puzzles you can do with a hook, so if it was still there for the next season a few of the puzzles might seem repetitive IMO.

• A pegleg?? Think of the looks of the animations with Guybrush running! :eek:

• @Mermaid said: A pegleg?? Think of the looks of the animations with Guybrush running! :eek:

Or dancing!

His hook worked for one season/game. Not more. It would become old very fast and it would be too easy to use as a puzzle element. If there was a door you couldn't get through, you would try and use the hook, because it worked in tales. If it does work, it's an unnecessary and lazy puzzle, it it doesn't work, that would be inconcistant with ToMI and they'd have to have a pretty good excuse for it not to work. So it would a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

• Even weird is that Hemlock McGee is still running and walking even though he has both peglegs in place of his feet due to the Marquis De Singe's actions! :p

• For personal reasons, I'm thrilled he got his hand back. It's too bad it's not an object that can swap out for a few puzzles now and then, because it adds some variety, but also, as someone said above it can get stale easily. Though I did LOVE the chest puzzle "what have I got now that I didnt have then... no... it *cant* be _that_ easy!"

• I liked the hook, but it is good that Guybrush got his hand back. It would be cool to see the hand in Guybrush's inventory for the next game, though, as a souvenir of the hook's past, and, of course, an item which will always remind him of Morgan. He doesn't know she is alive, after all!

• I personally liked the hook, but I could understand why they had him get a new hand.

Honestly, was I the only one who though Guybrush looked a bit bummed after the pleased "Hey, my hand is back" moment? It was like he realized he didn't have the hook anymore after the fact.

• I liked the hook. Appropriate for a mighty pirate, with a great story behind it that he could tell for the rest of his life (and you know he would).

I do see the point about not wanting it to get tiresome for puzzles, but if that was Telltale's reasoning, I think they sold themselves short -- I'm sure they could have thought of lots of interesting things to do with the hook besides the obvious lock-picking.

• @zhebrica said: I do see the point about not wanting it to get tiresome for puzzles, but if that was Telltale's reasoning, I think they sold themselves short -- I'm sure they could have thought of lots of interesting things to do with the hook besides the obvious lock-picking.

Everything he could do with the hook he could do with another item _not_ attached to his body so he would have to FIND them, thus making 2 puzzles.

Using it to slide down ropes --- Rubber Chicken with a pulley in the middle
    Using it to catch fish --- Fishing pole
    Using it to pick locks --- Lock Pick Set/Thieves Toolkit/etc
    Using it as a weapon to threaten someone --- cutlass

Any puzzle it can be used on is inherently 1-step shorter, it makes perfect sense to dispose of it.

Add Comment