User Avatar Image

"Unheilige dies!"

posted by Mermaid on - last edited - Viewed by 363 users

On my way from work I started thinking about the upcoming release of the German version of TOMI and suddenly had to grin, thinking about how they are gonna translate parts like "unholy this!" to German without ruining the whole scene(s).

As much as I'm looking forward to it and as much confidence I have in Norman's performance and those of his colleages, I wonder how good the translation of the script will be. Voice actors can be as good as they want - if the translation itself is crappy, their perfomance will suffer.

What do you think? What translated terms ("Pox of LeChuck") or scenes are you curious about?

And does anyone know who the other VAs will be, other than Norman Matt as Guybrush?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This sort of thing always interests me. Were Elaine, LeChuck, Stan, Murray and the Voodoo Lady's German voices consistent between Curse and Escape?

• In EFMI the Spanish voice actor was the same from COMI, but in Monkey 4 he sounded normal in the cut-scenes but he sounded extremly high pitched (kinda like Mickey Mouse) in the actual gameplay. I don't know what the hell happened there.

• @Teeth said: This sort of thing always interests me. Were Elaine, LeChuck, Stan, Murray and the Voodoo Lady's German voices consistent between Curse and Escape?

I think they all were consistent except for Stan.

• Speaking of which wasn't EMI the only MI game to be translated into other spoke languages? I found a Chinese version online once. I WANTED to buy it so badly but it was out of stock.

• @doodo! said: Speaking of which wasn't EMI the only MI game to be translated into other spoke languages? I found a Chinese version online once. I WANTED to buy it so badly but it was out of stock.

No. I've got CMI in English AND German right here.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Oh, Mermaid, there's sooooo much to drive the translators literally crazy...

"Unholy this!", "Isle of Ewe" and "Rock of Gelato", "Screaming Narwhal" (doesn't sound like a ship's name in German), "Cursed Cutlass of Kaflu" (mind the alliteration!), "The LeChucken Pox", "U-Tube", "Yebay", "Trial of the Century-y-y-y-y", Guybrush's tongue slips with "Anemone", "You will rue the day..." ("I've got to look that up!"), "I'll give her the ol' scurvybuttons", the "1001 fish jokes" and of course, our very own "Die Luf der Flotsam saugen". Also, the Manatee mating help scene will be massively brutal to translate properly.

Also: Will they retain the "Espon-j-a Grande" mistake the TTG team made, or will it be "Espon-h-a Grande" from the beginning?

• @Vainamoinen said: Oh, Mermaid, there's sooooo much to drive the translators literally crazy...

"Unholy this!", "Isle of Ewe" and "Rock of Gelato", "Screaming Narwhal" (doesn't sound like a ship's name in German), "Cursed Cutlass of Kaflu" (mind the alliteration!), "The LeChucken Pox", "U-Tube", "Yebay", "Trial of the Century-y-y-y-y", Guybrush's tongue slips with "Anemone", "You will rue the day..." ("I've got to look that up!"), "I'll give her the ol' scurvybuttons", the "1001 fish jokes" and of course, our very own "Die Luf der Flotsam saugen". Also, the Manatee mating help scene will be massively brutal to translate properly.

Also: Will they retain the "Espon-j-a Grande" mistake the TTG team made, or will it be "Espon-h-a Grande" from the beginning?

They have to, otherwise, Elaine has no reason to correct the mistake at the very end of the game! :D

But, boy, you are right. I remember when I tried to give a summary of what's going on in TOMI to my sister (in German). "The Pox of LeChuck" being _the_ most crucial term in the whole story I didn't find a proper translation for and ended up just using the English expression. I simply refused calling it: "Die Pocken des LeChuck". :D:D

Gee, now I _really_ start to get curious as to how TOMI will sound in German!

• Regarding "Esponja Grande" they could easily have the "wrong" version with an actual German "j", so that should be the least of the problems.

I'm really interested in how they are going to translate all of the other stuff.

"Uheilige das!" doesn't make any less sense than "Unholy this!", even the "... damit wir zwei den unheiligen Bund der Ehe schließen können." - "Den 'unheiligen' was?" - "Den 'unheiligen' das!" should work well enough. :D

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

As always, I prefer a free translation in favour of the best possible joke. There doesn't have to be a direct translation of "Unholy this". If the punchline is fine and fitting, they could go any other way. Hey, what about: "...so antworte mit ARGHHHH!" ? ;)

• [QUOTE=Vainamoinen;389193 There doesn't have to be a direct translation of "Unholy this". If the punchline is fine and fitting, they could go any other way. Hey, what about: "...so antworte mit ARGHHHH!" ? ;)[/QUOTE]

How would "So antworte mit ARGHHH" fit into the opening scene / Guybrush-being-stabbed-scene? :)

Add Comment