User Avatar Image

Why is the Wii Version that bad?

posted by poster0815 on - last edited - Viewed by 87 users

I am playing Season 2 on the Wii atm and I am shocked about the technical flaws. Not only are the minigames near to unplayable, it also hangs and stutters constantly, especially in episode one with the big robot.

I liked Season One on PC and I really have to say, I can't understand how Telltale can give the green light for such a bad version. :(

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This might help explain things for you:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PortingDisaster

Long story short, porting a game isn't as easy it sounds.

• @poster0815 said: I am playing Season 2 on the Wii atm and I am shocked about the technical flaws. Not only are the minigames near to unplayable, it also hangs and stutters constantly, especially in episode one with the big robot.

I liked Season One on PC and I really have to say, I can't understand how Telltale can give the green light for such a bad version. :(

Wii hardware isn't as good as a decent PC and it's mega compressed to fit on the Wiiware service.

That's why Season 3 isn't on Wii. It would explode.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@The Commissioner said: Wii hardware isn't as good as a decent PC and it's mega compressed to fit on the Wiiware service.

Wii: I want to see that so bad!
    Sam: But your head would have exploded!
    Wii: That's why you need to tape record it for me, Sam!

• @The Commissioner said: Wii hardware isn't as good as a decent PC and it's mega compressed to fit on the Wiiware service.

It's a disc release, not Wiiware. Also, ToMI is on the Wii, Wiiware at that, is TDP THAT much more powerful?

Also, I blame bad porting.

• @RAnthonyMahan said: This might help explain things for you:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PortingDisaster

Long story short, porting a game isn't as easy it sounds.

Yes, I am aware that it can be difficult, but seriously, was there no Quality Management or Game Testing involved?

I really like Sam and Max and I consider the Wii version not to be good advertising for the series at all.

• @The Commissioner said: Wii hardware isn't as good as a decent PC and it's mega compressed to fit on the Wiiware service.

It's a DVD Disc, not Wii Ware. I played through episode one and wanted to load episode 2, wouldn't let me, wouldn't load, I had to turn off the Wii and turn it on again to start the next episode :eek:

Also, you don't need a very decent PC for Sam and Max at all. A GeForce 4 was enough to play Season One in all it's glory, or even a 6 year old gfx card like the 6600GT was good and fast enough.

It uses the dvd drive like a dj when he scratches. And the resolution is also far lower than on PC, so there is no much excuse for the state it's in.

The real reason for season 3 not coming to the Wii might be, that it doesn't sell very well, and that might be directly related to the quality problems with the first two Wii versions.

Telltale needs guys who know the Wii hardware better.

• @poster0815 said: Telltale needs guys who know the Wii hardware better.

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People was good on the Wii, though that's probably because, unlike Sam and Max, Telltale intended a Wii release and developed it with the Wii in mind.

• @RAnthonyMahan said: Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People was good on the Wii, though that's probably because, unlike Sam and Max, Telltale intended a Wii release and developed it with the Wii in mind.

Yeah, I wouldn't underestimate the power of the Wii. I've played through some awesome graphics on that thing. Resident Evil comes to mind (including the on-rails shooters):D
    I did struggle through some scenes of S&M seasons 1 and 2 on the Wii. They weren't totally unplayable and were pretty good actually. But the minigame with torture me elmer was horrible.

• Torture me Elmer? That was nothing, the 205 minigame was way way worse.

• @RAnthonyMahan said: Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People was good on the Wii, though that's probably because, unlike Sam and Max, Telltale intended a Wii release and developed it with the Wii in mind.

Didn't play that, but it seems to proof that it can be done better ;)

Add Comment