User Avatar Image

No translation no party

posted by Darrosquall on - last edited - Viewed by 852 users

I bought tales of monkey island just for this guys. http://www.tomiinitaliano.tk/

I wanna know if you continue to release your game only in English. I want to buy back to the future, but no Italian subtitles, no party.

88 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • First off, they don't just release in English. Also, they're a fairly small game company in America. Don't you think you're being just a bit too demanding?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darrosquall said: I bought tales of monkey island just for this guys. http://www.tomiinitaliano.tk/

I wanna know if you continue to release your game only in English. I want to buy back to the future, but no Italian subtitles, no party.

Darros, with each and every Telltale game announced, this comes up in the forums, some kind of translation "blackmail". People seem to think it's easy and cheap to get these games translated (and a good translation at that!). Working for a translation agency, I assure you it is neither, and I am sick of non-professional translators in these forums thinking that they could even do that themselves. For Telltale, the only possible way is to set up cooperations with other gaming firms in the target countries for retail release there, and that_just_takes_time.

• So, are they translate the game in many languages?My english is poor, so I wanna know what Telltales will do. Usually the translation is made up by a publisher for every State. I still waiting for Sam And Max season 3.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I assure you: If they CAN, they will not miss the opportunity.

• It is not cheap. It is not quick. It takes a long time to do. They have multiple languages for some of their earlier games. They may eventually put up different languages, but for now, they just have to make ends meet with the English version first.

• @Vainamoinen said: Darros, with each and every Telltale game announced, this comes up in the forums, some kind of translation "blackmail". People seem to think it's easy and cheap to get these games translated (and a good translation at that!). Working for a translation agency, I assure you it is neither, and I am sick of non-professional translators in these forums thinking that they could even do that themselves. For Telltale, the only possible way is to set up cooperations with other gaming firms in the target countries for retail release there, and that_just_takes_time.

I know what the problem is, this is the reason why most of the companies have a partnership with a publisher who made the translation. I know it is difficult to do translation, ok, but in this way many customers are cut off

• Telltale is a self publishing company. You do know this, right?

edit:Ok, let me fix that. Telltale is a self publishing company for the most part. When they want to translate it into another language, they have to go out to an agency to do this. THIS IS VERY EXPENSIVE. Sometimes there are deals that are made with publishers for, say, the Wii releases of Sam and Max season 2. They may decide that they want to translate the game so they will. This has very little to do with the game company itself, so take it up with them.

This is, at least, the impressions that I get. I am by no means in the business, so I don't know for certain. But these are the scraps I hear from people who are in the business.

• Yes, I know. But there are many companies that release the game in italian. I think Black Mirror, A Vampire Story, The Whispered World and so on. I think that a 80 per cent of the most famous Ag are translated. Telltales is the most famous companies in this moment(releasing the game even on console), I wanna hope that they'll do something for this problem. I know a lot of people who don't buy their games for this barrier.

So, a lot of REALLY small companies can do what Telltales can't do?I don't think so.

This discussion has been closed.