User Avatar Image

Tintin revealed!

posted by Trenchfoot on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

From the upcoming Spielberg-Jackson film...

cover.jpg

45762.jpg

45763.jpg

Looks great to me! :D

220 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • oh ugg. i hate the polar express style. might as well have real actors.

• Could be good :) captain Haddock looks convincing

• Looks great! I am a fan of TinTin. I own all comic books.

Favs are:
    -Secret of the Unicorn & Treasure of Red Rackam (is one big story)
    -The seven crystal balls & The temple of the sun (also one story)
    -Tintin in Tibet

• TinTin is great but from the screens the look sadly is awful.

For more tasteful beeings, Arte made a great serie about TinTin.

• Aren't all the (or nearly all) comics made into cartoons already? Sorry but this thing smells like those guys are just trying to cash in with someone else's creation...

• @PainDealer said: Aren't all the (or nearly all) comics made into cartoons already? Sorry but this thing smells like those guys are just trying to cash in with someone else's creation...

Yup, it's Peter Jackson alright.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

I fear the visual style may have slipped into the uncanny valley for me. :(

I loved the television cartoons though. So much so that I'll probably still go see this.

• @StLouisRibs said: Yup, it's Peter Jackson alright.

LoL I didn't notice I crashed straight into the "No shit Sherlock" section :o

• @Giant Tope said: oh ugg. i hate the polar express style. might as well have real actors.

Actually it's being done with the same motion capture technology used for Avatar, but whatever. The thing is no real actors I can think of could completely capture the characters in Herges world or bring his surreal world to life. The difference between this and Zemeckis' movies is that Zemeckis does this impossible CGI camera work and crap that takes you out of the movie, not to mention nothing he does is tailor made for CGI. Also he never does anything good with it anyway.

@Giant Tope said: Aren't all the (or nearly all) comics made into cartoons already? Sorry but this thing smells like those guys are just trying to cash in with someone else's creation...

Spielberg has been trying to make a live-action Tintin movie since around the time of making the Last Crusade and even got Herge's blessing. Herge even said he considered Spielberg the only man who could do Tintin justice. They never met in person though because Herge died not long before they were scheduled to meet on a film and then it went into production hell. Then Spielberg decided to try again and then asked Jackson and WETA if they would do a CGI Snowy for the live-action film, but Jackson told him live action wouldn't do justice to Herge or the comics, so they got together and decided to do photo-realistic motion-capture. There, now you know how wrong you were.

@Giant Tope said: I fear the visual style may have slipped into the uncanny valley for me. :(

I loved the television cartoons though. So much so that I'll probably still go see this.
    No way to tell about that until we see a trailer BUT this film was shot traditionally as far as the motion capture with traditional camera work, so I honestly doubt you'll be seeing anything remotely close to Zemeckis style directing with this. The picture of Haddock, for instance, looks more and more real each time I look at it.

Also-

45762.jpg

How can you look at this image while listening to John Williams famous themes and not imagine something beautiful. Yes, John Williams is scoring this movie. So yes, motion capture has had a bad run with Zemeckis but with Spielberg and Jackson and even EDGAR WRIGHT on the team I'm willing to give it a chance.

• Awesome! I've been waiting for this for forever!

Add Comment