User Avatar Image

BTTF like Day of the Tentacle?

posted by darthvedder81 on - last edited - Viewed by 431 users

Since a lot of the crew that worked on DOT now work at Telltale and since that game involved puzzle solving across a time-space continuum I'm wondering if the BTTF games will be similar?

"Tentacle" is one of my favorite games of all-time so I'd have no problem with some similarities. Does anyone have any insights on that?

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

i heard of day of the tentacle, but i hated how i can't be used with windows

• @seibert999 said: i heard of day of the tentacle, but i hated how i can't be used with windows

?? I'm pretty sure it can be used with Windows. I seem to remember being able to run it in XP. Even so, there should be a way to get it to run using DOSbox or something. It's a must-play game imo.

• When in doubt, there is always ScummVM.

• I imagine that it will have a lot of influence, but they'll do less wacky puzzles.

• It's a sad day when two consecutive posters on Telltale's forums are unaware of ScummVM.

As for being like Day of the Tentacle, I HOPE NOT! My own personal feelings about the game aside(I very much dislike it), its ideas about puzzle-solving do NOT fit in a Back to the Future game. The puzzles in Day of the Tennt usetacle require a couple things:

1) Fairly constant use of time travel, and
    2) Someone in another time period to receive an item,
    3) Time travel being thought of as "the solution" to most problems
    4) Fairly wacky and cartoony logic.

This doesn't work. In Back to the Future, only ONCE is an item "sent to someone in the future", and that's a letter that waits for Marty from 100 years prior not to get him to come back in time, not to get him to solve any problem, and not to affect the timeline in any meaningful way, but simply to make sure that a good friend doesn't worry and DOESN'T go back to affect the time stream. Doc Brown wouldn't accept a Laissez-Faire application of time travel as a solution to the minor problems that might come up during an episode, Back to the Future is a film franchise that has a more "realistic" approach than cartoons(time travel and the TV cartoon excluded). Generally, you go back in time, and being STUCK there is the problem or you have to solve a problem IN that timeline once you get there, or you have to UNDO changes made by another time traveler, but time travel ITSELF is almost never a direct solution, and when it's used that way it never works the way it is supposed to.

Essentially, yes, both franchises are TIME TRAVEL stories that feature an OBJECT that is modified to TRAVERSE TIME. But their APPROACHES to time travel and how it is USED narratively couldn't be MORE different.

• Sounds like "The Tomb of Sammon-Mak" ... which was mighty awesome as a Sam and Max episode, but very much not in the same spirit as BttF.

-The Gneech :cool:

• ^ That's all true but we are speaking about the adventure game here. Everything you said, although true, is related to the movie, and if history something thought us - the games after movies and vice versa don't turn often very well.

I'm sure Telltale is aware of the fact - and it should be important for them that, while still keeping the BttF spirit in all of it's glory, still let themselves the freedom to make something convincing and independent of the movie franchise. Video games are darn hard demanding in that aspect.

So, i for one wouldn't mind if they include more time travel backtracking if that means that the gameplay would benefit, if we'll see interesting puzzles and if the story is good. Asking to be exactly like Day of the Tentacle (while it wouldn't hurt, it's one of the best adventure game of all time) is both unrealistic and unnecessary as they already have general design in mind, but BttF game indeed can benefit from the pure adventure solutions of classic adventure games, more than anything in the movie because it's - an adventure game.

• ScumVm, to be more clear is a program that you download for free off the internet that helps you to run older games that used the ScumVM engine very easily.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

@Spykes said: ?? I'm pretty sure it can be used with Windows. I seem to remember being able to run it in XP. Even so, there should be a way to get it to run using DOSbox or something. It's a must-play game imo.

how do you use DOS

Add Comment