User Avatar Image

Schwarzenegger v. EMA

posted by Brainiac on - last edited - Viewed by 287 users

Well, today was Election Day here in the States. It was also the day that arguments in Schwarzenegger v. EMA were heard before the Supreme Court. The transcripts have now been posted online via Joystiq and Scribd (among others). Going over them, I think I can say the state of gaming in the States is going to be just fine. It looks like those who predicted the only reason the Supreme Court took this case was to basically spell it out for the states that they need to quit wasting money on this idiocy were probably right.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I hope they're right. It sometimes get shocking with what our juidicial system's verdict goes with. Including the Supreme Court.

• I kept saying four letters that I just want to yell out to people who say that M rated games are being sold to minors. E. S. R. B. Some stores wont even sell M rated games to 17 year olds despite the fact that the cases say 17+ no 18+

18+ would be AO, A lot of stores don't carry AO.
    So, the Supreme Court are going to say the same thing I have since I was 12 then?

• Everyone should read the transcript. It's somewhat long, but EXTREMELY entertaining. Seriously, it's HILARIOUS.

Justice Scalia: But is -- is that -- are -- are we to sit day by day to decide what else will be made an exception from the First Amendment? Why -- why is this particular exception okay, but the other ones that I just suggested are not okay?

MR. MORAZZINI:Well, Justice Scalia, I would like to highlight the fact that the material at issue in Ginsberg was not obscene.Under no existing definition of obscenity was the partial nudity that this Court allowed States to regulate minors' access to -

JUSTICE ALITO:Well, I think what Justice Scalia wants to know is what James Madison thought about video games. (Laughter.)

JUSTICE ALITO: Did he enjoy them?

JUSTICE SCALIA:No, I want to know what James Madison thought about violence.Was there any indication that anybody thought, when the First Amendment was adopted, that there -- there was an exception to it for -- for speech regarding violence? Anybody?

• Thanks for that transcript, Rather Dashing. I laughed out loud several times while reading that thing.

California don't got a leg to stand on.

• @Remolay said: I kept saying four letters that I just want to yell out to people who say that M rated games are being sold to minors. E. S. R. B. Some stores wont even sell M rated games to 17 year olds despite the fact that the cases say 17+ no 18+

18+ would be AO, A lot of stores don't carry AO.
    So, the Supreme Court are going to say the same thing I have since I was 12 then?

Funny story. I go Gamestop to go buy a copy of Dead Rising Chop 'Till You Drop and they card me and almost not sell me the game (just turned 18) [process took like 10 minutes], but some little kid comes in and gets the 360 version of the game they don't card him and are about to sell him the game after like a minute before his mom comes by. She then asks if the game is suitable for children under the age of 17, pointing to the ESRB lable. The same guy who almost refused to sell me DR:CTYD was like "oh yeah, it's perfect for kids of all ages. They got that because of a little blood."
    Had my ride not been ready to leave I would've told the mom the truth.

Now for another story! I was like 16 and my mom drove me to Gamestop and I went to pick up a copy of The Suffering: Ties That Bind and I told my mom I was buying an M game so she'd need to come into the store to pay for it. The cashier wouldn't stop going on about how the game isn't fit for someone under the age of 17, about how it was so violent, and the nudity, and the drugs! My mom didn't care and I said,"Look, I'm 16 I'm a year under what's reccomended. In a year I'll be just as immature watching the same violent movies, 'sampling' (did air quotes by the way) adult sites, and laughing over my friend's drug problems. I think it's safe to say I've seen much worse then this game has." The clerk really wouldn't let go now. After 30 minutes of this (and the store being packed) my mom said,"Just give me the damn game." when we get back to the car mom told me she's never taking me back to this Gamestop.

Point of the second story? None, I just hate telling the two stories solo.

• I'm for because I'm weird like that.

• That transcript was pretty hilarious. Though by the end of the first part, I was feeling a little sorry for Mr. Morazzini...

• For a moment there I thought you guys were talking about the MTV European Music Awards 2010.

• Surprising no one, the Supreme Court sided with the EMA. The final vote was 7 - 2, with the dissenters being Justices Thomas and Breyer. The full decision, with both dissenting and concurring opinions, can be found as a PDF on SupremeCourt.gov.

Add Comment