User Avatar Image

Sam & Max Episode 3 -- Memory leak?

posted by Sir Lemming on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

This hasn't happened to me in either of the first two episodes. The game starts out playing just fine, but after a while (maybe 15 minutes or so, I'm not sure), it becomes extremely slow and Windows has a message about virtual memory being too low, and the CPU usage is at 100%. So then I have to exit, let it "cool down", and start again.

I have 512 MB RAM. I know I should get more (I had more on my old computer, although everything else about it was worse), but the game starts out just fine, and episode 2 didn't have this problem. So it seems like a bug.

99 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Same problem, I can see in the Task Manager how the game keeps taking more and more memory. Previous episodes work excellent.

• User Avatar Image
    OMA

Yeah, I also have this problem. I only have 512 MB, but if you have the same problem with 2 GB, then this is likely a memory leak issue. See the post I made here about this:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2040#post20332

• I deleted prefs.props as mentioned in another game and it seems to work now.

• Deleting prefs.props may have done the trick. Kinda hard to tell, since this playing session didn't last too long before I beat the game, but I think it worked. I think it may have boosted my performance at post-800x600 resolutions, too.

• I had the same problem with Episode 2.

I've tried something and it kinda worked.

I use Symantec Antivirus 10.1. When I stopped the symantec antivirus service from services.msc, the game frames went up from 17-21 to 46-49 fps and the game became playable and a lot less jerky.

I'm not saying this is the right solution to the problem. It's clearly something the game programmers have to figure out and correct, but at least it will help you play the game more smoothly.

Cheers.

• hi !

same here. play at 1280x960 high fullscreen and after quite some time
    memory usage is at 1.00 GB and fps fall sometimes below 20.
    deleting the file as mentioned in above posts did nothing do for me.
    did anyone contact telltale about this directly ?
    right now, i just save and restart SM3 to get better behaviour.

bye, toni

• It really lags a lot after about 5-10min.

I have windows vista and 2 GB of ram and a Ati Radeon x800 Pro.

Please help :(

Perhaps its a ATI only problem?

• @Sir Lemming said: Deleting prefs.props may have done the trick. Kinda hard to tell, since this playing session didn't last too long before I beat the game, but I think it worked. I think it may have boosted my performance at post-800x600 resolutions, too.

What's the purpose of this file, if you can just delete it without consequences? What does it do?

--Erwin

• Not much new to add but adding my name to the list of people with this problem so the scale of the issue can be made clear.

No problems with previous episodes. Starts off fine but gets slower and jerkier as time goes on. Fine in conversations or scripted bits but slow when walking around. Deleting prefs.props did not help.

• I have 1 gig of ram.. and it lagged like others(didnt happen first 2 episodes) it was using abt 360 of memory when I checked

Add Comment