User Avatar Image

Any chance of a "Back to the Future - animated series" DVD release?

posted by Armakuni on - last edited - Viewed by 611 users

Just wondering as Telltale started selling the animated Sam & Max series on DVD on their site here when they made the S&M stuff.

I'll be honest in that I can't remember anything about the animated series, I saw some of it on TV years and years ago but I'm completely blank.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's horrible but would still be cool to have on DVD... it's apparently never released on DVD so far.

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'd be game for a DVD release. It's no 'Beetlejuice' or 'Real Ghostbusters', but it is what it is: a Saturday morning cartoon adaptation from the 90's.

    It did get p. ridiculous at certain points (a Tannen in ancient Rome?) so you kinda have to recalibrate your suspension of disbelief -esp. if you liked the fairly plausible science of the movies-, but I liked the kids. I usually hate kid characters in cartoons -especially from the late 80's-early 90's- but Jules and Verne were kinda adorable at times.

    Plus, yanno... Bill Nye.

    Only thing I didn't like was Dan Castlanetta as Doc. I can live with the hindsight awkwardness of Danny Phantom as Marty, but Dan was much better at Genie than he was at Doc.

  • @Meta Ray Mek said: Only thing I didn't like was Dan Castlanetta as Doc. I can live with the hindsight awkwardness of Danny Phantom as Marty, but Dan was much better at Genie than he was at Doc.



    The guy who voices Homer Simpson voiced Doc? I've never seen the cartoon, but now I'm much more inclined to see it.

  • Yeah. Weird thing is they got Christopher Loyd to do live action segments at the beginning and end of every episode to set up the plot (silly situations and cheesy catch phrases included), just not the voice acting during the animated part.

  • @mathman77 said: The guy who voices Homer Simpson voiced Doc? I've never seen the cartoon, but now I'm much more inclined to see it.



    Yup.

    And in a bit of meta-humor, he does sneak in at least one 'D'oh' in one of the episodes, iirc.

  • @Tyrfing42 said: Yeah. Weird thing is they got Christopher Loyd to do live action segments at the beginning and end of every episode to set up the plot (silly situations and cheesy catch phrases included), just not the voice acting during the animated part.



    Yes indeed, never made much sense to me, especially since they got Mary Steenburgen to do Clara and Thomas Wilson to do Biff(and the other Tannens).

  • i found a vhs of 2 episodes of bttf cartoon, and my 5 year old LOVES it.... hes watched it once a day for a week now... he wants more, doesn't understand that i can only find the one tape and not the whole dvd series like all his other stuff.

    this needs to happen so im not a terrible father!!!

  • @Meta Ray Mek said: Only thing I didn't like was Dan Castlanetta as Doc. I can live with the hindsight awkwardness of Danny Phantom as Marty, but Dan was much better at Genie than he was at Doc.



    Crikey, Doc too? He was the male voice of the 90s.

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    Well, I of course hope that it'll be available on DVD for you guys, but the animated series was absolutely nothing for me. No € for that. :(

  • @Shadowknight1 said: Yes indeed, never made much sense to me, especially since they got Mary Steenburgen to do Clara and Thomas Wilson to do Biff(and the other Tannens).



    If I were to hazard a guess, it's probably the same thing that happens with every big name movie-turn-cartoon series: budget.

    More than likely, they could only afford Steenburgen and Wilson (and if I recall, Wilson later ventured into voice acting as Matt Bluestone in 'Gargoyles' a couple years after the BttF cartoon ended) since they're not "big-name" actors and thus don't command quite a bit of dough as everyone else.

  • I think you can find pretty much every episode on YouTube. It was pretty cheesy and there were some episodes where they didn't even travel through time but on the whole it was ok for what it was and they had a few callbacks to the movies.

    Here's the first episode:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0

Add Comment