User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 31.9K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I thought this thred was going to reveal a new doctor :P

• Where would one begin with this show? I've been wanting to get into it, but its long and illustrious history is more than a little daunting.

• @ShaggE said: Where would one begin with this show? I've been wanting to get into it, but its long and illustrious history is more than a little daunting.

The 9th doctor episode "Rose" would be a good start since the series was revived then for new and old fans.

• The first episode I watched was technically 'Daleks in Manhattan' but I wasn't watching and can only remember the twist ending now that I'm quite into the series.

However, I reccomend starting with any of the new series, as the old series doesn't really hold up all too well unless you are really devoted to the show.

You should start with either 'Rose', 'The Christmas Invasion', 'The Runaway Bride', and/or 'The Eleventh Hour'. All of which are the first episode of each series, except for Series 4, as it's quite closely intertwined with Series 2. If you find Rose a tad boring, I reccomend trying any of the other episodes I recommended,a s they have a different doctor and therefore different tone.

• Many thanks. I was hoping to dig into the newer series first, as I'm more intrigued by the darker storylines that I keep hearing about (apparently those angel statues are terrifying), so now that I know I can, I shall hop right to it.

• Not to be picky but the Doctor would of regenerated 10 times not 11, ie 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10, 10-11.

• @StLouisRibs said: 'The Christmas Invasion', 'The Runaway Bride',

Those are the last episodes in series, not the first of the following.

• @ShaggE said: Where would one begin with this show? I've been wanting to get into it, but its long and illustrious history is more than a little daunting.

I generally recommend "Rose", "Dalek" and "The Christmas Invasion" as entrance episodes for someone trying to get into the series. For just getting a more general vibe of the show at large, the episodes I recommend are "The Doctor Dances", the "Rise of the Cybermen"/"Age of Steel" two parter and "School Reunion"

• I might be buying the complete game bundle one day. For a friend. Seeing as I didn't even have time to finish Sam & Max season 3, so I don't expect to finish the Doctor Who games either.

• IMO Christopher Eccleston was the best Doctor, he's the only one who had the dress sense that fit in with the "blend in with everyday people" thing they were aiming for in Series 1, not only that but I do like The Doctor when he's more serious and starts crossing over into darker territory, and Series 1 had a good load of that and Chris's acting just topped it off, he was the perfect choice for bringing back Doctor who to the public and showing a more serious and yet natural side to a character that was often looked at as something only geeks would watch in the 1970's and 1980's.

Don't get me wrong, I did like David, but I really do think that IF he was there from the start, it would turned people off the show, because his Doctor was far too, well, happy, giddy, running around grinning like a nut case and just generally bouncing around the place, and to be honest, brought back some of that geek factor.

New Audience wise, it was a great idea to show the character back after all these years but is now a tortured soul, blames himself, more in tune with his emotions and control and showing him return to his "old" ways once he got back with a human companion and started travelling around again, before showing him willing to sacrifice himself and eventually doing so in the events that happens in the Series 1 finale, showing him letting go of all that guilt, which made sense that after he regenerated he would be more up beat and giddy.

Add Comment