User Avatar Image

Savegame troubles (merged threads)

posted by saxysousy on - last edited - Viewed by 5.8K users

How do you save the game if you don't want to play it all at once?

BTW, I LOOOVE it so far. Thank you Telltale for making this game!

168 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @dpw81 said: I have just downloaded part 2 and have the same 'no save menu' thing going on. I have a legitimate copy of the game purchased directly from Telltale. Is there any way of fixing this? Would be nice if a mod could answer this for all users with this problem.

I had the same issue with Episode 2, it turned out it was because I had been playing the game with the Episode 1 launcher, causing it to not authenticate my copy of Episode 2 and run it as if I was using an illegal copy. Once I used the Episode 2 launcher and it logged me in, the game saved just fine.

• @Epic Kiwi said: I had the same issue with Episode 2, it turned out it was because I had been playing the game with the Episode 1 launcher, causing it to not authenticate my copy of Episode 2 and run it as if I was using an illegal copy. Once I used the Episode 2 launcher and it logged me in, the game saved just fine.

Thank you so much mate, that was the problem. Make me wonder why they bother giving you the option to play other episodes from the same launcher. Anyhow, thanks again, much appreciated.

• Well, the games do work with either launcher with no savegame issues after they've been initially logged into your account. I guess you just need to use each episode's own launcher the first time you run that episode for it to work properly.

• Windows has occasional issues surrounding permissions. I always install my games on a secondary internal hard drive (NOT the C: drive) to avoid a lot of those issues. Always install AND run the game as an administrator, also (right click and choose "run as administrator."

• I purchased BttF directly from TellTale, for the Mac. (Actually bought the iPad version first, liked it so much that I wanted to see what the more stable version looked like and bought it on the Mac. ^_^)

Anyhow, I played through a portion of ep 2 last night and when I hit escape there was no save option. I also don't have persistent network access at my apartment so I'm wondering if that was the problem or perhaps it was launcher related as was discussed earlier in the thread?

• That's pretty stupid, seeing how it doesn't even add a launcher to the start menu, so I just used Episode 1 since it was the only one available.

Well, off to see if this indeed fixes my issue or it's something else.

• @Epic Kiwi said: I had the same issue with Episode 2, it turned out it was because I had been playing the game with the Episode 1 launcher, causing it to not authenticate my copy of Episode 2 and run it as if I was using an illegal copy. Once I used the Episode 2 launcher and it logged me in, the game saved just fine.

This is the case, however, the installer creates the shortcut with the same name as Ep1! So this could be why people are getting confused, me included.

• That's.. strange. I never make Telltale games install start menu or desktop shortcuts (I like to launch all my games from Steam) so I didn't even realize this, I just thought I'd try using Episode 1's launcher to see if it worked. XD

To be safe, just directly run BackToTheFuture102.exe the first time you play. After that you should be able to save the game even if you use the Episode 1 launcher to play.

• It's not a piracy issue - I bought the game, and episode 1 saves work fine, but episode 2 will not save - i had to beat it in one sitting. It's a bug.

What's also weird is I only see shortcuts for episode 1. I can double click the shortcut for episode 1, and then when the episode select menu comes up i can pick either episode 1 or episode 2. If I go into the episode 2 directory and run the episode 2 shortcut or the exe directly, I get the episode select screen but no buttons. It's definatley a bug in the retail version.

Is there a way to put in my serial number again? maybee the activation serial number didnt take for episode 2?

BTW this still happens even though i completely reinstalled both episodes.. not sure whats going on?

• I attached a screenshot of what I see when I try to run this game. from the episode 2 shortcut. Episode 1 shortcut shows just fine though and I am able to run both episodes from that shortcut, but I can't save in EP2..

Add Comment