User Avatar Image

Plotholes/ continuity errors/ anachronisms in the game (spoilers!)

posted by Origami on - last edited - Viewed by 5.8K users

In the beginning when the DeLorean appears, shouldn't Biff and George be curious as to what that sound is?!

Also when Marty goes downtown is it responsible to leave the DeLorean unattended like that?

Just some minor issues I'd thought I discuss here. Doesn't really bother me though. I think it's because of the pacing of the story, the game only really starts when you arrived in the new era.

538 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes to the first.

2nd isn't really that important. Its 1986 afterall. For the people of Hill Valley its just a pimped up Delorean.
    And I'm pretty sure Marty locked the car when he headed into town.

• @Origami said: In the beginning when the DeLorean appears, shouldn't Biff and George be curious as to what that sound is?!

I think Biff was unconcious from the amplifier at that point.
    Not sure about George.

• I've finished the game twice now and love it :D

However, there are one or possibly two problems with the story regarding history being rewritten. Spoilers ahead!

Near the end of the game when Marty goes to break Doc out of jail, he finds him already gone, with Tannen having taken him in a van to kill him somewhere, and the newspaper from the next day changes to reflect the change in events. But what I'm wondering is, what exactly did Marty do that caused this change to happen? As far as I can tell, even if Marty went into the past, did everything he did but then wasn't able to break the Doc out of jail in time, the Doc would have still been released the next day and then killed outside the courthouse. But something was changed, causing Tannen to decide to get the Doc out of jail and drive him out somewhere to kill him. But what was changed?

The second problem isn't as big and can probably be explained easily. At the end of the game Marty finds himself fading away, meaning something must've happened to Arthur. If Marty had never gone into the past, then wouldn't Emmet have still delivered the subpoena to Arty who would have then still testified against Tannen? But they delivered it anyway. My only explanation is that without Marty's help, Emmet was never able to deliver the subpoena to Arty, who then never testified and never got himself (possibly) killed by Tannen.

Does anyone have an explanation or a better one?

• He served his grandfather papers..... maybe the judge figured they better move the prisoner because he felt they were closing in on Kid and thought Doc was in trouble in there.

• But what was changed?

Well, Marty pissing Kid off probably didn't change anything, but Arthur receiving the subpoena most likely did (the goons are even mad at that fact in the episode 2 preview), so Kid decided to act.

If Marty had never gone into the past, then wouldn't Emmet have still delivered the subpoena to Arty who would have then still testified against Tannen? But they delivered it anyway. My only explanation is that without Marty's help, Emmet was never able to deliver the subpoena to Arty, who then never testified and never got himself (possibly) killed by Tannen.

As far as I gather, without Marty's interference, a) Arthur would never gather the subpoena (but that doesn't stop Kid from being arrested in the future), b) Doc would never meet Edna (have you seen how Edna looked at Doc like Lorraine at Marty?), c) Doc would never be really disillusioned about science, d) And probably there are some things I don't take into account right now. Generally speaking, Marty messed the hell up.

• @Irishmile said: maybe the judge figured they better move the prisoner because he felt they were closing in on Kid and thought Doc was in trouble in there.

But that would have happened whether Marty was there or not, but the paper from the next day says that the Doc was killed outside the Courthouse after being released, so something was changed that caused them to move him during the night.

As far other stuff Marty did, I agree that Emmet and Edna meeting never would've happened and may have changed something, but I didn't get the impression that he became disillusioned with science.

• @Rade88 said: As far other stuff Marty did, I agree that Emmet and Edna meeting never would've happened and may have changed something, but I didn't get the impression that he became disillusioned with science.

Well, not with science per se, maybe, but with his own abilities and what he can accomplish. You know, if Marty would never try to talk to him he would never think Marty's a patent officer and there would never be really any downer or ruined expectations, you know (Doc tells that only a few months later there will be an Expo which would pinpoint Emmet's decision to be a scientist).

• @Irishmile said: He served his grandfather papers..... maybe the judge figured they better move the prisoner because he felt they were closing in on Kid and thought Doc was in trouble in there.

Unless Kid Tannen knocked out the real driver, it seems Judge Brown may not have known about this little moving of the prisoner.

• @Rade88 said: I've finished the game twice now and love it :D

However, there are one or possibly two problems with the story regarding history being rewritten. Spoilers ahead!

Near the end of the game when Marty goes to break Doc out of jail, he finds him already gone, with Tannen having taken him in a van to kill him somewhere, and the newspaper from the next day changes to reflect the change in events. But what I'm wondering is, what exactly did Marty do that caused this change to happen? As far as I can tell, even if Marty went into the past, did everything he did but then wasn't able to break the Doc out of jail in time, the Doc would have still been released the next day and then killed outside the courthouse. But something was changed, causing Tannen to decide to get the Doc out of jail and drive him out somewhere to kill him. But what was changed?

The second problem isn't as big and can probably be explained easily. At the end of the game Marty finds himself fading away, meaning something must've happened to Arthur. If Marty had never gone into the past, then wouldn't Emmet have still delivered the subpoena to Arty who would have then still testified against Tannen? But they delivered it anyway. My only explanation is that without Marty's help, Emmet was never able to deliver the subpoena to Arty, who then never testified and never got himself (possibly) killed by Tannen.

Does anyone have an explanation or a better one?

I think you're dead on correct. I don't think Emmet would have been able to find Artie without Einstein's nose to guide them. And even then he wouldn't have been able to find a way to get Artie to come outside unless he created an invention to help him deliver the subpoena, which is probably not likely with how much he hides his love for science from the public. Whatever put Kid Tannen in prison, it either wasn't Artie or Kid's humiliation at the hands of Marty and Artie going to testify against him probably set him off and may have been what caused him to personally take out Doc Brown. But I think all of this will actually be explained in the second episode.

Add Comment