16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In episode 204 sam and max created a paradox where there are now 2 sams and 2 maxes.
    That explains the whole second max thing, and the other sam being dead makes sense, but I wished they did the original intention from that meeting(max 2 meets Sam 1 while carrying Sam 2's body)

• Hang on, I still have this thing somewhere... Ah, here we go!

SamandMaxtimelineB.png

Personally, I prefer the simpler version, but some people had some problems with it, so I had to complicate it a bit. This is what I prefer:

SamandMaxtimeline.png

• I get it now! Thank you, I almost killed myself because of the confusion when i finished the episode! I thought Max A was from an alternate dimension or something. But that means he never experienced Season Two and most of Season 1! That sucks! He will be confused when he sees the neighborhood!

• @M-man said: I get it now! Thank you, I almost killed myself because of the confusion when i finished the episode! I thought Max A was from an alternate dimension or something. But that means he never experienced Season Two and most of Season 1! That sucks! He will be confused when he sees the neighborhood!

well, in one ending sam & max took the time machine, maybe the other neighborhood is the same as the start of season 1

• User Avatar Image
    Fly

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I really, really don't understand why everyone's so obsessed with who is 'the real' Max, or with seeing Sam feeling bad about 'the real' Max, or any of that at all. Max is Max is Max is Max is Max, and even without the Word of God stuff about the hive mind, Maxes need Sams, and Sams need Maxes, and no matter what timeline Max is from, he and Sam are best friends.

Anything beyond that feels like pedantry.

• @Fly said: Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I really, really don't understand why everyone's so obsessed with who is 'the real' Max, or with seeing Sam feeling bad about 'the real' Max, or any of that at all. Max is Max is Max is Max is Max, and even without the Word of God stuff about the hive mind, Maxes need Sams, and Sams need Maxes, and no matter what timeline Max is from, he and Sam are best friends.

Quoting for emphasis.

• They have been friends for decades, one or two years lost mean nothing, especially since Max has "the memory of a dried trout."

• @Fly said: Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I really, really don't understand why everyone's so obsessed with who is 'the real' Max, or with seeing Sam feeling bad about 'the real' Max, or any of that at all. Max is Max is Max is Max is Max, and even without the Word of God stuff about the hive mind, Maxes need Sams, and Sams need Maxes, and no matter what timeline Max is from, he and Sam are best friends.

I can understand it; just speaking of my own experience right after finishing 305, it felt (at least at first blush) as though the particular iteration of the character I'd gotten to know and love throughout Seasons 1-3 was gone for good. But! I ultimately agree that you're 100% correct. I won't lie by saying that the hive mind theory doesn't help me feel better about it, but that's a very personal "me" thing, not a "nuuuu Telltale screwed up Sam & Max and now it won't ever be the same!" thing.

So yeah. Quoting for response and for double emphasis. *fistbump*

@Fly said: They have been friends for decades, one or two years lost mean nothing, especially since Max has "the memory of a dried trout."

And this too. The duplicates would have been one in the same with "our" Sam and Max if not for the latter's tampering with the time stream, after all.

Also! GuruGuru? Still love that you put those charts together. Didn't get a chance to say that back in the day really only a few months ago, but it's the internet so yeah, so I wanted to (belatedly) mention my appreciation. :)

• I did initially find the whole 'Max X as a replacement' thing a little depressing - I occasionally still do. But after reading through all this thread's justification it does make a lot of sense...

@Fly said: Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I really, really don't understand why everyone's so obsessed with who is 'the real' Max, or with seeing Sam feeling bad about 'the real' Max, or any of that at all. Max is Max is Max is Max is Max, and even without the Word of God stuff about the hive mind, Maxes need Sams, and Sams need Maxes, and no matter what timeline Max is from, he and Sam are best friends.

Incredibly true. :D

• Nice flow chart, thanks!

@Fly said: Maybe I'm just not getting it, but I really, really don't understand why everyone's so obsessed with who is 'the real' Max, or with seeing Sam feeling bad about 'the real' Max, or any of that at all. Max is Max is Max is Max is Max, and even without the Word of God stuff about the hive mind, Maxes need Sams, and Sams need Maxes, and no matter what timeline Max is from, he and Sam are best friends.

I guess it depends on how much you let video games affect you, If you play just for the fun of it I guess you wouldn't care, but if you really get into the game it's a bit of a downer when you find out things you don't want to happen (just like in a good film when the protaganist dies or something)

Add Comment