User Avatar Image

Tales of monkey island sucks

posted by Lonnie on - last edited - Viewed by 717 users

I was so excited to play TOMI but am bitterly disappointed with the terrible 3D graphics, stupid dialogue and boring puzzles.

I know alot of you will readily disagree with me but I much prefer the 2d style of Curse of Monkey Island, it was great to play. Really, really enjoyed it.

This is the first time EVER I have gotten bored with a MI game.

Shouldn't games and graphics in general get better as time goes along not the other way round?

Anyone else who didn't/doesn't like TOMI?

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You're far too harsh. CMI is excellent, no doubt, but ToMI is really good and I hope you've played more than two minutes of it to form an opinion as harsh as that. Otherwise it's just trolling.

And complaining in your first post on a forum is not a good way to introduce yourself. Since you're completely new here, people easily mistake (?) you for a troll. You're not giving valid reasons for your complaints, and starting a thread called "Tales of monkey island sucks" as your first post and topic on the official Tales of Monkey Island forum only makes you look like a ten year who shouldn't have the privelage of using the internet.

I hope you can rectify the first impression you've made a lot in your next posts.

• And FYI the game is boring the first episode, and starts to kick it at around the end of the second episode.

• And I hope for your sake you never get to play Escape from Monkey Island

• Hey Lonnie, welcome to the forums.

I understand where you're coming from, to some degree. The style of graphics are not for everyone; they actually weren't overly pleasing to my eye at first glance. But let me assure you that once you grow accustomed to the style, you'll be able to appreciate the look of the game a lot more. Also, on the topic of the graphics, they do improve throughout the season - this is what happens with episodic games; the first episode's graphics are usually somewhat mediocre, but they are improved from episode to episode in what is a refining process. The graphics are usually perfected close to the middle of the season.

This is usually due to the team learning from mistakes, refining what they have created, as well as the company using the money from the previous episode's sales to fund further development and improvement. It's just how episodic games work - it's a bummer in many ways, but you learn to put up with the downsides of it and just try to understand the company's situation.

As for the dialogue, I will admit that it isn't that great in the prologue or in the first few minutes on Flotsam. But this is really only to be expected. 'Tales' was the first Monkey Island game in 9 years, meaning that there was going to have to be a sort of re-introduction of all the characters, as well as a re-introduction of the whole Monkey Island world, MI humour, MI style, etc.. Also, the game picks up in the middle of a new adventure, which calls for a lot of explaining and introducing to be done. So, when writers are forced to go through all of the introductions and re-introductions, it's bound to produce some pretty mediocre writing at times, since introductions are usually something very formulaic, and formulaic writing is rarely good writing.

So, you must understand that Telltale weren't in the perfect position when taking on this project, but they did an excellent job given the circumstances. Heck, they did a great job full stop (talking about the whole season, I mean). There were many great things about 'Tales of Monkey Island', and it actually brought me as much enjoyment as 'Curse' did ('Curse' being my favourite of the series). Telltale gave us a quality game here, it's just that the quality is more common and fruitful as the season progresses a little. So I urge you to play the rest of the game, otherwise you will miss so much. Please don't base your opinion of the game purely around the opening of 'Launch of the Screaming Narwhal'.

Seeya round, man :).

• I don't know, if you ask me the graphics weren't so bad in the first episode. It wasn't really boring too, the episode tried to keep giving new things in every puzzle. It wasn't easy so it was actually pretty fun. I find OP's opinion to be really harsh.

But well, I myself find Secret of Monkey Island really boring at times, so...

• The whole Monkey Island part from Secret, with its comings and goings on the rowboat, is rather boring

• Yeah, that part is always my least favourite part "travelwise". Well, at least after doing it the first ten times in my career as a Monkey Island fan(atic).

• @StarEye said: You're far too harsh. CMI is excellent, no doubt, but ToMI is really good and I hope you've played more than two minutes of it to form an opinion as harsh as that. Otherwise it's just trolling.

And complaining in your first post on a forum is not a good way to introduce yourself. Since you're completely new here, people easily mistake (?) you for a troll. You're not giving valid reasons for your complaints, and starting a thread called "Tales of monkey island sucks" as your first post and topic on the official Tales of Monkey Island forum only makes you look like a ten year who shouldn't have the privelage of using the internet.

I hope you can rectify the first impression you've made a lot in your next posts.

Well Hi Stareye, and everyone,

I'm Lonnie, 26 year old guy from England currently living and working in Christchurch New Zealand.

It never really occurred to me to introduce myself, I really made this post spur of the moment, and I can assure you I am no troll.

I'm not here to slag off MI, but seeming as I paid to play it I would think I have a right to express my opinion.

I am sure there are many die hard/loyal MI fans that are gunna grumble at the slightest negative comment/review on anything MI related, but its not perfect and I think its fair to talk about /discuss things about the series that people don't quite like etc. But hey, this is my opinion and you're going to have yours, which is cool :)

In fact I absolutely love all the previous non 3D MI games (Curse was my last fave one) but TOMI has disappointed me.

If you want specifics, the graphics don't really impress for a 2009 game. Really reminds me of the Worms 3D graphics, cheap and basic looking. Its lost its charm, and its just unfunny. I mean, youtube jokes? Come on. The puzzles seem really contrived, some what childish and easy.

By the time I'd got onto Lair of the Leviathan I was pretty bored to be honest. Also I find there is way too much talking (cut scenes, watever you call them). Yeh I know its part of the game but I just want play the game not watch them talk every 5 mins.

I don't know guys, its just lost its charm for me, it isn't the same. I really wanted to like the game believe me, but something was missing.

I yearn for modern games to have good gameplay and don't really give a hoot about eye candy graphics.

Maybe I miss being 7 years old roughly when MI first came out, glued to the 4:3 crappy monitor I had stuffing my face with junk food completely entranced by the music and the game itself, ignoring the many yells from my mum that it was bed time.

I will always be a Monkey Island fan, but old school.

• @Hayden said: Hey Lonnie, welcome to the forums.

I understand where you're coming from, to some degree. The style of graphics are not for everyone; they actually weren't overly pleasing to my eye at first glance. But let me assure you that once you grow accustomed to the style, you'll be able to appreciate the look of the game a lot more. Also, on the topic of the graphics, they do improve throughout the season - this is what happens with episodic games; the first episode's graphics are usually somewhat mediocre, but they are improved from episode to episode in what is a refining process. The graphics are usually perfected close to the middle of the season.

This is usually due to the team learning from mistakes, refining what they have created, as well as the company using the money from the previous episode's sales to fund further development and improvement. It's just how episodic games work - it's a bummer in many ways, but you learn to put up with the downsides of it and just try to understand the company's situation.

As for the dialogue, I will admit that it isn't that great in the prologue or in the first few minutes on Flotsam. But this is really only to be expected. 'Tales' was the first Monkey Island game in 9 years, meaning that there was going to have to be a sort of re-introduction of all the characters, as well as a re-introduction of the whole Monkey Island world, MI humour, MI style, etc.. Also, the game picks up in the middle of a new adventure, which calls for a lot of explaining and introducing to be done. So, when writers are forced to go through all of the introductions and re-introductions, it's bound to produce some pretty mediocre writing at times, since introductions are usually something very formulaic, and formulaic writing is rarely good writing.

So, you must understand that Telltale weren't in the perfect position when taking on this project, but they did an excellent job given the circumstances. Heck, they did a great job full stop (talking about the whole season, I mean). There were many great things about 'Tales of Monkey Island', and it actually brought me as much enjoyment as 'Curse' did ('Curse' being my favourite of the series). Telltale gave us a quality game here, it's just that the quality is more common and fruitful as the season progresses a little. So I urge you to play the rest of the game, otherwise you will miss so much. Please don't base your opinion of the game purely around the opening of 'Launch of the Screaming Narwhal'.

Seeya round, man :).

Hi Hayden thanks,

This seems to be a great forum where people don't swear and abuse each other like I've seen on many angry gamers websites lol. (COD/MOH etc those type of games.)

Maybe I am being too hard on the game, but I've had to take a break from Lair of the Leviathan as I lost interest. Maybe I will regain some enthusiasm next time I play it.

I mentioned in my above post that I didn't really care about the graphics, which is true to some extent, but I would of thought that for a 2009 3D game there would be more detail and a colorful environment like COMI. It just seems....bland.

Maybe I am too nostalgic and am not accepting of new game designs etc, even tho I have tried to be :)

• Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I thought the 1st episode looked great. I'm not sure where you get the idea the game looks bland? I think maybe your nostalgia for Curse may be clouding your judgment. I agree the 2D art can have a stylistic and beautiful quality to it and curse is a good example of that. Maybe if you went back and played curse now though your judgement wouldn’t be so harsh. I think your complaint is more about the style of artwork differences between 2D and 3D. The look is the same, but 2D gives off a more cartoon look then 3D can. I do think it would be nice to have 2d style graphics again and also I hate having to move the character around, but those are minor complaints. Tales is just as worthy a part of the Monkey island series as 1 ,2 and 3 are.

As for the ‘stupid dialog and puzzles’ I found all of the dialog and puzzles exactly in line with previous Monkey games. It sounds like you got it in your head early on to dislike the game and that
    has corrupted your enjoyment of it from there on out. I thought it was great.

Its obvious you never played Escape from Monkey Island

Add Comment