Menu
User Avatar Image

what do you like about sam & max?

posted by Vyse220 on - last edited - Viewed by 422 users

I mean, besides the cool jokes and their creative design.

Their style is unique, I really like the "retro" factor with sam & max, when I read the comics or play the game I like the feeling of the '80 / '90.

Another thing I like is that in my opinion they represent what friendship really is, enjoy every moment of your life with your friends and don't really care about the future, during the credits of the city that dare to not sleep I realized that Sam & Max are very similar to me and a friend I had, the expression on the face of Sam was the same I have from the day of my friend death, I suddently started to cry and I've never thought that sam & max where able to make me live again that scenario. Somehow, they are the only thing that make me think about my past with my friend without feel bad, I really have to thank them.

and what's your story about sam & max? what do you like of them?
(I'm sorry about my english, but I'm italian)

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Your english is perfect, don't worry :D

It's hard for me to say exactly what I like about them, I like their lifestyle of junk food, doing crazy stuff, fighting the silliest crimes (saving christmas etc) and having an awesome car!

• The biggest for me is the comedy.

I was first introduced to S&M with the original LA game Hit the Road... at the time S&M seemed like a huge open adventure with great visuals, a catchy soundtrack and fully recorded dialog when most games barely had a story when they did it was all text. I was about 12-13 years old and it seemed so brilliant... Adventure games have been a favorite of mine since I first played the Kings Quest and Monkey Island games... Sam and Max have been a part of my life for about 17-18 years... they seem like old friends.

• I like the world they live in, where anything can happen and they can do anything they want!

• They make me laugh and they're cute and they're morally questionable. True love, I'm telling you XD

• The "zaniness" maybe? I like the fact the games don't seem to be too restrained by realism.

• @GeorgeC said: Your english is perfect, don't worry :D

It's hard for me to say exactly what I like about them, I like their lifestyle of junk food, doing crazy stuff, fighting the silliest crimes (saving christmas etc) and having an awesome car!

ahah the desoto sure is something to be proud of :D

• I like the pleasant, but bizzare, world takes place in.

It's a world where everyone is accepted (businesses in the real world usually refuse to serve cockroaches and talking animals), people can marry who or whatever they want(Abe+ Sybil) and it has a psychopathic lagomorph for president.

• User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni

We all probably have a friend or two who somehow has the most incredible things happen to them, who seem to live the same life as you do day to day, except that when you're apart your friend has somehow gotten himself thrown out of a bar for punching an Olympic swimmer or befriended three people on the street and suddenly traveled half way across the world with them or whatever. Sam & Max have always struck me as the exponentially more extreme, weird, version of that friend.

I like how Sam & Max are magnets for the weird. I always get the impression that they occupy the exact same world, the exact same New York, that we do, but they end up finding all the cool stuff. Or, maybe more accurately, it finds them. Not always by choice on either party's part, but Sam & Max lead a blessed (or cursed) life that somehow has created a mutual attraction between them and the weirdest shit our existence has to offer. And they're just used to it. Of all the streets in the world, theirs is the one a moderately-competent space gorilla lands on when visiting Earth. The fact that this happens to Sam & Max and not someone actually important -- and that Sam & Max seem to ambiently recognize this, and reciprocate by not treating the landing of an alien species on their doorstep as anything really worth noting -- is why I devour any Sam & Max story that comes along.

• Jake wins the internet.

• I like their attitude of lighthearted cynicism. They've got no illusions about how awful their world and human nature are, but it doesn't get them down. They just smile through it all, find great humor in it and love the world for all its interesting flaws. That's the best way to live, really.

Add Comment