User Avatar Image

Art Direction

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Okay, I think this deserves its own thread:

What kind of general art direction do you wan the game to take? What is your favorite game in terms of in-game art?

I personally would love something that looks similar to the AGD Interactive and Infamous Adventures remakes of the first few King's Quest games:

XNHox.jpg
QDcxt.jpg
PpX1A.jpg

A lush, "painted" look with a vibrant, storybook color palette. I think looking at the game should give a similar impression as looking at the box art for previous games, I-V specifically. I think a storybook color palette(erring on the side of "earthy" tones) is really important, and I would love to get the impression that the world exists on a storybook page, possibly with a perspective to cement that(with a camera similar to that in the earlier King's Quest games for atmosphere purposes). I don't think King's Quest is a franchise whose roots are in cinema, unlike Police Quest which draws from police dramas and Space Quest which draws from science fiction "Flash Gordon"-type influences, so a "cinematic" approach to the camera would seem wrong, like an "adaptation" of a fairytale on screen being adapted into a game, rather than adapting the fairytale itself in game form.

101 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This would be perfect.

I agree. They look great.

Hey Radogol, what is that game? It looks simply stunning!

I wanted to ask about it on the Adventure Gamers forum, but when I went to their main site, I saw the same screenshots Radogol posted. The caption said they're from The Dark Eye: Satinavs Ketten. There's more information here. http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2172
    And here's the official website. There's only a forum available at the moment. http://www.dsa-satinavsketten.de/
    Somebody asked about the story on that forum, and the developer revealed the basic plot. You can read it here. http://forum.daedalic.de/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=756

• I know many would snub their noses at a Disney-fied style, but I have to say, the visual direction of the movie Tangled would be just about perfect for a Telltale-esque KQ game. Maybe just a little less cartoonish, and it'd be spot on. I watched that movie tonight with my wife and the art is really stunning. The landscapes are lush and vivid and the the colors and designs whimsical and very King's Questy, in my opinion. Just no singing, for the love of God.

• Except for the proportion-exaggerated characters I agree.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Except for the proportion-exaggerated characters I agree.

Yeah--tone down the bug eyes and cartoon proportions and it'd be great. The design of the lead male character, Flynn Rider, would be about as cartoonish as I'd want any of the characters to look. Though, I could be persuaded to accept cartoonish character designs as long as the game didn't revert into silliness to the same level that KQ7 did.

And I think it's worth restating just how HORRIBLE any singing would be in a KQ game. KQ7, you ugly piece of shit, I'm looking at you.

• On the subject of Disney art styles and KQ--I don't think that the more traditionally-animated, Disney-inspired 2D art used in KQ7 was necessarily a bad choice, and I'm not opposed to the use of something in the vein of the Tangled "Disney 3D" for this new KQ.

I do think, though, that Sierra was so caught up in emulating Disney when it made KQ7 that it copied too much of their style. Not just art-wise, but content-wise and in terms of writing.... they borrowed ideas like "an entire cast of talking animals" and "a musical number for the heroine to sing in the intro" (of the type usually known as an "I Want song," though in KQ7's case it's more of an I Don't Want song).

This sort of unrestrained whimsy doesn't really mesh well with the atmosphere established by prior KQ games, which often varied between light moments and more serious drama. Whatever inspires the art style of a future KQ game shouldn't necessarily dictate its plot, characters, and writing style.

• @Lambonius said:
    And I think it's worth restating just how HORRIBLE any singing would be in a KQ game. KQ7, you ugly piece of shit, I'm looking at you.

You are under arrest for not being fun.

We are the ants...

• @Radogol said: You are under arrest for not being fun.

We are the ants...

Haha...touche. You know, I actually used to love that ant song as a kid. But even when I was younger, I STILL thought the delivery was terrible in KQ7.

ATM hit the nail on the head though--in KQ5, that bit was balanced out by the more serious elements of the story, whereas in KQ7, it was the serious bits that were in the minority.

• I need to learn German... There are so many German games I want to play.

• I always liked the Weeping Willow song found on the CD version, sung by Mark Seibert's wife. And then there's Girl in the Tower...

• @MusicallyInspired said: I always liked the Weeping Willow song found on the CD version, sung by Mark Seibert's wife. And then there's Girl in the Tower...

Which was also sung (at least the female vocals) by Mark Seibert's wife. As was "Land Beyond Dreams" in KQ7. Gee, what a coincidence! :p And of course Mark himself did the male vocals for Girl in the Tower.

Add Comment