User Avatar Image

Exclusivity over the license.

posted by Sslaxx on - last edited - Viewed by 625 users

Just because I'd like to see (one of) the AGDI guys stop their whining, even though it's very unlikely to be answered here...

Is Telltale's license to use the various Sierra-related IP exclusive?

165 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I hope they signed a deal to use the property for more than one game under the condition that it sells well.

• @Sslaxx said: Just because I'd like to see (one of) the AGDI guys stop their whining, even though it's very unlikely to be answered here...

Is Telltale's license to use the various Sierra-related IP exclusive?

Yeah, one of the AGDI team members in particular seems to be rather pissed that it was Telltale and not they who got the license to make KQ sequels.

• No, actually he's not whining - He's specifically said not to slander Telltale. He just asked that if you liked what AGDI has made, let Activision know.

Bt

• Yeah, that's a bit of a misleading exaggeration.

• Also, AGDI's agreement with Vivendi/Activision was technically supposed to end after they finished their last game, which is KQ3 Redux (as far as I know.)

• @Blackthorne519 said: No, actually he's not whining - He's specifically said not to slander Telltale. He just asked that if you liked what AGDI has made, let Activision know.

Bt

I have read all his comments on the board and from the sounds of it, he seems rather upset that TT has the license; he compared TTG getting license with Pepsi making toothpaste. However, he wants us to tell Activision on how we feel about it without slander TT. Just that it seems that he wants other companies or people who understands King's Quest to make the games since they understand the series more. That is what I have gotten from the guy's comments

I see where he is comming from. Him and his company has helped revived interest in the series by making fan sequels. He is probably upset that Activision didn't come to his team, and instead came to TTG, a company who is known to make sequels of games from a revival company. Guess it is like having coke making pepsi products.

• @doom saber said: I have read all his comments on the board and from the sounds of it, he seems rather upset that TT has the license; he compared TTG getting license with Pepsi making toothpaste. However, he wants us to tell Activision on how we feel about it without slander TT. Just that it seems that he wants other companies or people who understands King's Quest to make the games since they understand the series more. That is what I have gotten from the guy's comments

I see where he is comming from. Him and his company has helped revived interest in the series by making fan sequels. He is probably upset that Activision didn't come to his team, and instead came to TTG, a company who is known to make sequels of games from a revival company. Guess it is like having coke making pepsi products.

I'm fan of the King's Quest and own legal copies of all 8 games and I have never heard about these guys, although I have heard about that other fan group who are making a fan sequel. So at least in my case it was TTG's announcement which revived my interest towards the series. Personally I trust that TTG can handle this job better than some amateur group. TTG has made some of the best adventure games of the recent years, only issue I have with their games is that those are easier than old Sierra adventures (but then again difficult adventure games are rarity these days).

• I really enjoyed playing their King's Quest remakes, and it was through their website that I found out about the King's Quest IX project. Also, after playing both of the remakes, I wanted to see if King's Quest III and King's Quest IV were being remade. That's how I ended up finding IA's King's Quest III, which I really enjoyed. As for King's Quest IV, I saw the backgrounds that the main artist, Karen, painted, and I liked them all. I would love to get the chance to play the remake.

Not only did AGDI's remakes encourage me to look for other King's Quest remakes, but they also encouraged me to look for other adventure games. That's how I came across Just Adventure, and now I often check their list of upcoming releases, previews and reviews to see if there are any games I want to play. I bought a few games that were listed like Fairy Tale About Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya http://justadventure.com/reviews/Father_Frost/FatherFrost.shtm, Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjMlK6IqwY, and Everlight: Magic and Power http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMCXlBhS2zk. When I saw the news that Telltale was making a game based on the Bone graphic novels from Jeff Smith, I wanted to try it because I had fun reading one of the novels at Barnes and Noble. I played the demo and then I bought the full version. I've also bought Wallace and Gromit and Tales of Monkey Island.

Overall, if it weren't for AGDI's King's Quest remakes, I wouldn't be here on the Telltale Games Forums, and I also wouldn't have gotten into the adventure gaming genre.

• AGDI is definitely not an amateur outfit. They have already sold at least one professional game under their Himalaya banner, and created 4 excellent remakes of Sierra titles. I think that it is likely that Telltale and Himalaya would be rivals, not unlike Sierra and LucasArts in their heyday.

That said, I do find it rather puzzling that Telltale was entrusted with the King's Quest license, considering how well AGDI handled the license, while Telltale has no previous history with it. That said, maybe this would help motivate Himalaya to begin one-upping Telltale. :)

• @Olaus Petrus said: I'm fan of the King's Quest and own legal copies of all 8 games and I have never heard about these guys, although I have heard about that other fan group who are making a fan sequel. So at least in my case it was TTG's announcement which revived my interest towards the series. Personally I trust that TTG can handle this job better than some amateur group. TTG has made some of the best adventure games of the recent years, only issue I have with their games is that those are easier than old Sierra adventures (but then again difficult adventure games are rarity these days).

My bad. I meant fan remakes, not fan sequels. Both AGD and the TSL group started on their fan games around the same time. I agree that TTG can handle a better than AGD, though AGD is one of the main reasons why Kq is still revalant today, and were the group who inspired other fan groups to make Sierra fan remakes.

even though AGD is now a commercial studio, their work is that of an indy studio, no offense. The Kq remakes are fine as fan games, but I am iffy of seeing an official sequel from them unless they hire a professional writer for the story.

Add Comment