User Avatar Image

when did Einstein come from?

posted by Michael J Fox is Canadian on - last edited - Viewed by 915 users

Something that I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around in these epsidoes is Einsteins timeline.

When einstein shows up at the beginning of episode 1, when does he come from? It can't be a later time travel Doc and marty make as the timeline does not work that way. If it is after doc is initially killed, how did he get ednas shoe? It doesnt seem like the shoe has been stolen yet from what we see.

Should there have been 2 einsteins in hill valley while marty was breaking doc out of jail?

Also why on earth did they leave einstein there? When they first leave 1931 (not realizing they are returning to a compromosed timeline), the plan is for doc and marty to return to 1986 and doc to iron out his estate. But einstein was with 1931 doc and not like 1986 doc can go back and pick him up from his younger self, he'd need marty to do that anyways so why did they bother leaving einstein there where a) it would mean they'd have to make another time travel b) they'd be putting einstein in danger leaving him in a foreign time period and c) potentially changing the timeline if einstein being with young doc somehow created a ripple effect

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I am seriously hoping that the Einstein and the Time Traveling Shoe will be dealt with later. Isn't it an adventure game factoid that when a subject is adressed by the characters more than once, it is going to play out in the plot later? Anyway, I think the Timeline B of 1931 will be choatic. 1986 Doc could have had Einstein with him around the time the first speakeasy blew. If Edna was the culprit and Doc was the only witness, the brick incident could of not been an "accident." If so, then Einstein attacked Edna like a guard dog, grabbed her shoe in the hassle, and then got scared by the fire and ran to the DeLorean. The retrieval feature activated and Einstein and the shoe were sent to 1986. All this could be before Doc's death in Timeline B.

Marty's mission was to break 1986 Doc out of jail with the rocket drill of 1931 Doc. Old Doc was sprung from jail by Kid and the plan changed. The hectic rescue happened (distraction #1) and then Marty fading away (distraction #2). The new mission was to save Arthur from being offed by Kid's gang. This was distraction #3. Three crazy distractions are going to make you forget simple things like retrieving your dog. So, Einstein was left alone in 1931 and sort of adopted by 1931 Doc.

Einstein was Emmett's lab rat and I can see how this could effect Emmett's timeline. For example, it could speed up the pace of Emmett's inventions but it wasn't addressed as a threat in the game. Doc didn't seem worried. At the end of the episode, they were calm and collected enough to remember to take Einstein with them. Yeah, it was dangerous to leave him there, but I doubt it was a factor in the Citizen Brown 1986. Or maybe...

• @Julianne said: I am seriously hoping that the Einstein and the Time Traveling Shoe will be dealt with later. Isn't it an adventure game factoid that when a subject is adressed by the characters more than once, it is going to play out in the plot later? Anyway, I think the Timeline B of 1931 will be choatic. 1986 Doc could have had Einstein with him around the time the first speakeasy blew. If Edna was the culprit and Doc was the only witness, the brick incident could of not been an "accident." If so, then Einstein attacked Edna like a guard dog, grabbed her shoe in the hassle, and then got scared by the fire and ran to the DeLorean. The retrieval feature activated and Einstein and the shoe were sent to 1986. All this could be before Doc's death in Timeline B.

Marty's mission was to break 1986 Doc out of jail with the rocket drill of 1931 Doc. Old Doc was sprung from jail by Kid and the plan changed. The hectic rescue happened (distraction #1) and then Marty fading away (distraction #2). The new mission was to save Arthur from being offed by Kid's gang. This was distraction #3. Three crazy distractions are going to make you forget simple things like retrieving your dog. So, Einstein was left alone in 1931 and sort of adopted by 1931 Doc.

Einstein was Emmett's lab rat and I can see how this could effect Emmett's timeline. For example, it could speed up the pace of Emmett's inventions but it wasn't addressed as a threat in the game. Doc didn't seem worried. At the end of the episode, they were calm and collected enough to remember to take Einstein with them. Yeah, it was dangerous to leave him there, but I doubt it was a factor in the Citizen Brown 1986. Or maybe...

They took Einstein away from Doc after he had him for 3 months, that must have really tore him.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: When einstein shows up at the beginning of episode 1, when does he come from?

When a mommy doggy and a daddy doggy love each other VERY MUCH...

• Einstein, the shoe, and the car came to 1986 from 1931 when the failsafe thing kicked in a week after Doc was killed. I think that technically does mean that the failsafe DeLorean is still there, out of sight somewhere, during episode 1, and for several days afterwards. So we know for sure that in the timeline where Doc was killed, Einstein attacked Enda and got her show at some point during that week. It's possible but not strictly necessary that this encounter also happened in the new timeline, after Marty and Doc left 1931 (there would have been two Einsteins around during that week, but as long as they didn't show up at the same place then nobody would have thought much of it, I suppose).

Hmm.

• @Rather Dashing said: When a mommy doggy and a daddy doggy love each other VERY MUCH...

HAHAHAHAHHAahahahaha!
    I really didn't expect THIS explanation. Classic. :D

• @Rather Dashing said: When a mommy doggy and a daddy doggy love each other VERY MUCH...

WHEN does he come from. Not WHERE, WHEN.

• @LuigiHann said: Einstein, the shoe, and the car came to 1986 from 1931 when the failsafe thing kicked in a week after Doc was killed. I think that technically does mean that the failsafe DeLorean is still there, out of sight somewhere, during episode 1, and for several days afterwards. So we know for sure that in the timeline where Doc was killed, Einstein attacked Enda and got her show at some point during that week. It's possible but not strictly necessary that this encounter also happened in the new timeline, after Marty and Doc left 1931 (there would have been two Einsteins around during that week, but as long as they didn't show up at the same place then nobody would have thought much of it, I suppose).

Hmm.

Do we actually know the failsafe happened a week later? I dont recall it being discussed that much in detail. Also if there's 2 einsteins even if they are in the same place, it's not a big deal. Einstein is a fairly common dog so it wouldn't be that odd to see although better hope the two einsteins dont fight!

Depending on how the speak easy arsonist plot plays out, it is also possible that einstein had stolen the shoe prior to doc's arrest and marty showing up. Edna doesn't tell marty that Einstein stole her shoe but if she is the arsonist (or implicated it) and this is how/why Einy stole it then it does make sense she would not tell him.

And having seen the episode a second time since then, Doc and Marty remark at the end how they remembered einstein so i will accept the fact they were simply caught in the moment and forgot the dog.

• @StrongBrush1 said: WHEN does he come from. Not WHERE, WHEN.

Gestation period for dogs is about nine weeks.

• Yeah I could be off about the timeframe

• Posting from another thread as it is also relevant here:

When Marty arrives in 1931, Einstein paws at Edna and she says, "That mangy dog assaulted me once before" before going into the store, griping and whining about how something's a law and we should look it up. It can be inferred that when Doc was thrown in jail, Einstein then assaulted Edna, took the shoe, and went back to the DeLorean. That way, if Doc was fine, he was sitting there ready to go home. If he wasn't, he would arrive in 1986 to find Marty.

Add Comment