User Avatar Image

Marty swearing...

posted by Shadowknight1 on - last edited - Viewed by 563 users

When I first saw the cartoony style of the game, I had fears that a lot would be toned down to make it appropriate for all audiences. That fear was initially put to rest when the revisit of the first time travel experiment came up and Doc proclaimed, "When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...you're gonna see some serious shit." However, that fear has returned. The worst we've heard from Marty is "What the hell is that?!" In the movies, Marty has used, on different occasions, "Bastards!", "He's an asshole!", "You son of a bitch!", etc. In the game, most of Marty's "rude" comments have been reduced to "Crap!" And frankly, when Doc arrived and smashed into the back of Kid's limo in 1986A, that would have been the absolute perfect time for a McFly patented "Holy shit!!" scream. Please TellTale...you've proven you don't want to censor the game, so don't censor the game. Marty needs to belt out at LEAST a "Holy shit" when something really bad happens.

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Shadowknight1 said: When I first saw the cartoony style of the game, I had fears that a lot would be toned down to make it appropriate for all audiences. That fear was initially put to rest when the revisit of the first time travel experiment came up and Doc proclaimed, "When this baby hits 88 miles per hour...you're gonna see some serious shit." However, that fear has returned. The worst we've heard from Marty is "What the hell is that?!" In the movies, Marty has used, on different occasions, "Bastards!", "He's an asshole!", "You son of a bitch!", etc. In the game, most of Marty's "rude" comments have been reduced to "Crap!" And frankly, when Doc arrived and smashed into the back of Kid's limo in 1986A, that would have been the absolute perfect time for a McFly patented "Holy shit!!" scream. Please TellTale...you've proven you don't want to censor the game, so don't censor the game. Marty needs to belt out at LEAST a "Holy shit" when something really bad happens.

I'm not really sure that's a big problem. Although I absolutely love the Back to the Future movies ever since my childhood, I don't really like cursing so for me it's a relief. But I'm cool with your concern. He did curse a lot more in the movies (something I had never really noticed as I was too drawn into the movie and characters to realize). But I've always thought it odd when people voice that they're POed or concerned that there isn't enough cursing in something claiming that this somehow makes the material for children (not just you; another example is an early issue of TMNT in the late 80's when readers called Eastman and Laird sell-outs, referencing that the turtles starting saying, "Crap" or "UT OH/uh oh"). I'm not sure I understand how less cursing makes something "kiddy-fied," or why a character has to always curse and can't have a larger vocabulary. I think overusing cursing, much like any words, can dull the impact the word needs when delivered. However for you, I believe the concern is instead one of questioning the faithfulness to the source material?

I'm not sure I've heard Marty say "Heavy" very much either, but I've heard or read somewhere on this site that TellTale purposely tried not to overuse the catch phrases - which makes me glad as overusing them may also dull their impact.

• He said "Poor bastard" once, I remember, in Episode 2. I can't remember when, however; I think it might have been when he was reading one of the characitures.

• Pretty sure Marty's dropped a couple of J bombs as well. Aside from that not too much cursing....oh well.

• They wanted to tone down the "R" rated language. Since games are held to a higher standard than movies made 25 years ago.

• @PrivateJoker said: They wanted to tone down the "R" rated language. Since games are held to a higher standard than movies made 25 years ago.

You know, cause only kids play video games. :rolleyes: I hate that kinda thinking personally.

• A discussion only Americans can have... :rolleyes:

• It relates to presenting a mood authentic to the movies. It's not that we love our curse words. (We do, though.) It's that, they said such things in the movies, and doing so sparingly in the games would help authenticity sell the "feel". The movies are very family friendly and yet it's amazing, the curse words used. It's not gratuitous, it's kept at a modest and fairly realistic amount, given the unrealistic situations they are said in response to. Unless the game is quoting something directly from the movie, like in Marty's nightmare at the begining, I actually think no cursing is needed at all. That said, I'd rather Marty not say "Crap!" because that reeks of censorship. If he's going to curse, have him curse, don't give him watered down curse words that aren't true to his character. If he's not going to curse, just have him say "uh-oh". I enjoy the game a lot, but it does make my eyes roll when it sounds like I'm listening to a movie with language that's been edited for cable tv.

• Well havent you seen seen the movies? Marty Mcfly is always like that! That is just the person that he is! It would be so weird to change that part of him!

• @Laserschwert said: A discussion only Americans can have... :rolleyes:

I'm American and I find this conversation to be really weird. "Asshole", "hell", "shit", and "bastard" are maybe horrible, profane words to 5 year olds. I don't think he ever said anything that would have to be censored on network TV. Obviously there would be words to raise an issue about, but Marty never says them.

Secondly I find it weird because its a strange thing to care about. Its not like Marty's character was written as a foul mouth, he just happened to swear a few times. If he doesn't happen to swear a few times in the game, who cares?

I found it a little weird in the game to hear the Doc swear, just because the artistic style of the game is a little like a children's cartoon, but despite that the game isn't really meant for children so its not a problem.

• @redfish said: I'm American and I find this conversation to be really weird. "Asshole", "hell", "shit", and "bastard" are maybe horrible, profane words to 5 year olds. I don't think he ever said anything that would have to be censored on network TV. Obviously there would be words to raise an issue about, but Marty never says them.

Secondly I find it weird because its a strange thing to care about. Its not like Marty's character was written as a foul mouth, he just happened to swear a few times. If he doesn't happen to swear a few times in the game, who cares?

I found it a little weird in the game to hear the Doc swear, just because the artistic style of the game is a little like a children's cartoon, but despite that the game isn't really meant for children so its not a problem.

Your point is well taken, but on American TV lines such as Doc's "...you're gonna see some serious shit" have to be--and indeed are--bleeped out. As absurd as it seems to the rest of the world, this stuff IS perceived as offensive by some people over here (who frankly really need to get their priorities in order). It's no wonder that, since Telltale wants so badly to reach out to the "average" gamer, it'd minimize the swearing. Shame, though.

Add Comment