User Avatar Image

Accents

posted by rubygloommel on - last edited - Viewed by 428 users

Alright, I was looking at a video on Youtube where someone was going through loads of different English accents, and I thought it might be fun if people posted using their own regional dialect, like if have a West-Yorkshire accent (England) and I use a lot of slang that people outside the area (even close by like in Lancaster) wouldn’t understand at all, like:

Nowt - nothing
Owt - something
‘ey up! - hi
Sound - good
Reet - right
What d’ya know? - what’s going on with you?
Numpty - idiot

Not to mention completely missing out t’s and h’s and turning th’s into ff’s and never bothering using the word 'the' :P

Just though it’d be fun since all English accents seem to be Cockney or the Queen’s and all American accents seem to be New York or Californian Edit: And Southern! :D

Edit: Also any slang unique to your area? :)

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Gonna post this here.

In the American category, I'm surprised you didn't list at least "southern accent" as another one. Even if you're untrained with American accents, they're pretty noticeable. Here's a full list of American (as well as other North American) English accents.

• @Giant Tope said: Gonna post this here.

In the American category, I'm surprised you didn't list at least "southern accent" as another one. Even if you're untrained with American accents, they're pretty noticeable. Here's a full list of American (as well as other North American) English accents.

Ooh I hadn't seen that before, although I think I've seen something similar on Yahoo! Answers? I was thinking more of like specific slang words as well though. is pretty cool to hear everyone's accents though :D

And yeah, I'm aware of Southern accents but surprisingly you don't actually hear them that often here (as in movies etc.) with the notable exception being Miley Cyrus - who I try not to listen to much to avoid running the serious risk of scooping out my brains with the nearest spoon to stop the noise. Although you hear them in comedies sometimes, but they're always really over-exaggerated.

• Really? Our last president was an idiot... he had a southern accent... you know the guy that broke America... tried his best to break the world.

• @Irishmile said: Really? Our last president was an idiot... he had a southern accent... you know the guy that broke America... tried his best to break the world.

Okay, sorry! New York, Californian AND Southern accents! (But still I don't think so much in movies, although undoubtably I'll be proven wrong again :P)

• Also, have you played Puzzle Agent or watched Fargo? Everyone's accent except Nelson's is a northern midwestern one. It's really sing-song. That's the only other really noticeable accent in America. Other than that, it starts to get into more subtle differences.

• You know those "you know you're from ____ when" lists? I once saw one for Colorado where one of the items was "complete lack of any discernible accent whatsoever". It's pretty accurate. The one thing I've really heard about our accent that I find to be true at all is that we apparently don't really enunciate the T in "nt" sounds. It's particularly noticeable in the name of my hometown, Thornton.

• @Giant Tope said: Also, have you played Puzzle Agent or watched Fargo? Everyone's accent except Nelson's is a northern midwestern one. It's really sing-song. That's the only other really noticeable accent in America. Other than that, it starts to get into more subtle differences.

That's kinda what I was going for - like there isn't just one Scottish accent, the kind of accent you'd hear in Glasgow is different to the one you'd hear in Edinburgh. They have similarities which are present in all Scottish accents but little things that are unique to themselves.

Or Welsh accents - they're all fairly high pitched and sing-songy, but a Cardiff accent is still quite different from that of South Wales Valleys. And the same goes for the slang - my friend used to live in Cardiff but moved a couple of years back, now all her friends in Cardiff have started using the word 'lush' all the time and she had no idea what it meant 'till she asked. :)

• @Giant Tope said: Also, have you played Puzzle Agent or watched Fargo? Everyone's accent except Nelson's is a northern midwestern one. It's really sing-song. That's the only other really noticeable accent in America. Other than that, it starts to get into more subtle differences.

Yeah.... Midwesterners are the best... No really :D

• Accents are something that "appeared" recently for me. Before, it used to just be English, and I honestly couldn't have recognised an accent from another, for me every individual spoke in their own unique way.
    I think it's because I got more used to hearing English, now I can pick up accents a bit more. Not really enough to identify them, but enough to know they're there, and that, for instance, person A and person B aren't from the same place.

There are a bunch of southern accents in TV shows nowadays. Don't True Blood and the Walking Dead both take place in the South?
    I watched a bunch of Australian shows online due to their copyright policies being looser, so I'm pretty used to Australian accents too.
    And one accent I can recognise is Manitoba accent because my brother in law is from there. I guess I can recognise Alberta accent, but for me it's still "normal" English, that's the one I've heard the most. Now that I'm in California, maybe I'll spend enough time away from it that it will be more jarring next time I hear it.

I know that Seamus has corrected me before when I pronounced a word "wrong" but it was just how I had heard it in Alberta. For instance, Seamus pronounced "iron" like "I earn", while I had always pronounced it "ire-ron".

• Aussie accents in overseas TV and movies tend to sound really broad to me. I'm not sure if that's just in comparison to the over accents around them, or whether the actors broaden them (2nd is my guess). One game I spent a while going - is he meant to be ozzie? No, sounds more Kiwi... I finally decided on South African and oit was mentioned that the character was Australian. I personally have an aussie/british accent, with either being the strongest depending where I'm living...

Add Comment