User Avatar Image

the "Harding" issue

posted by tope1983 on - last edited - Viewed by 624 users

I guess somewhere in these threads someone questioned sometime ago whether Sarah Harding is the veterinarian's daughter or not.
Well in the movies it's not clear, Gerry Harding who was actually played by Gerald R. Molen (who was the producer of the movie) appeared only in the sick-triceratops-scene and in sequel The Lost World Sarah Harding is never related to him.

But there is a glimpse of that in the novels.
Dr. Harding plays not only a much bigger role in the book Jurassic Park but is also described as a specialist on birds and a former verterinarian in the zoo of San Francisco. He hoped to publish one time the first "Veterinarian Compendium: The diseases of Dinosaurs".
In the novel The Lost World, when they tried to vet the baby T-Rex, Kelly asked Sarah why she knows so much about anatomy. Sarah answered that she is used to inspect feces of animals where it's necessary to identify tiny pieces of bones and: "My father was a vet." Malcolm wondered and Sarah confirmed: "Yes, he was specialist on birds. In the zoo of San Francisco."
So following the novels continuity Sarah Harding is the daughter of Jurassic Park's vet.

15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes, and for any leftover confusion, Crichton had confirmed that Sarah was Gerry Harding's daughter for those of you that were unaware. Hope this helped! :D

  • In this game, Gerry Harding's daughter is red headed, just like Sarah Harding. Could Sarah be her older sister?

  • @evolution_rex said: In this game, Gerry Harding's daughter is red headed, just like Sarah Harding. Could Sarah be her older sister?

    I could see that given Gerry's age.

    I just hope that a reasonable explanation is given for him to have suddenly lost the mustache over the two or three hours it was since he was seen with the Triceratops.

  • Maybe after Harding brought Sattler back to the Visitor Center he went to the employees compound backed his bags for leaving with the ship and also went to the bathroom (showering, washing his hair and shaving off his mustache).
    I just wonder where his daughter come from and why she is on Isla Nublar?
    Just to get some elements of father-daughter-relationship and more drama into the story?

  • @tope1983 said: Maybe after Harding brought Sattler back to the Visitor Center he went to the employees compound backed his bags for leaving with the ship and also went to the bathroom (showering, washing his hair and shaving off his mustache).
    I just wonder where his daughter come from and why she is on Isla Nublar?
    Just to get some elements of father-daughter-relationship and more drama into the story?

    I still maintain that he was in WOOOVVE! with Ellie and thought if he lost the mustache he might have a shot...

    I mean, she was kind-of rocking those short shorts...not as much as Muldoon, though! Good Christ, for a wildly unattractive middle-aged male game warden from Kenya that guy was showing a lot of leg!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

  • I assumed/hope that they may fit that into the game somehow, with some clever reference. Such as having Gerry say at some point "You'll be able to see Sarah when we get home" or something along those lines. It was quick and fleeting in the novel, and I'm kind of hoping that they have something like that in the game :P

  • maybe THE DINOSAURS ATE HIS MUSTACHE!!!

    But really if there's anything I learned from the Beatles Rock Band forums, it's that rendering 3D mustaches in real time is hard work. And don't get them started on beards.

  • @LuigiHann said: maybe THE DINOSAURS ATE HIS MUSTACHE!

    Another very real possibility! :eek:

    BTW, I'm having a very hard time imaging Ringo Starr without his beard! :p

  • @LuigiHann said: maybe THE DINOSAURS ATE HIS MUSTACHE!!!

    But really if there's anything I learned from the Beatles Rock Band forums, it's that rendering 3D mustaches in real time is hard work. And don't get them started on beards.

    Even so, while the game has that 'realism' feel to it, there's still enough of it being "animated" that allows them to get away with facial hair that isn't 100% realistic looking.

  • Did anybody else think Doctor Harding looked like Dale Earnhardt in the movie?
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2001/02/18/015004.1-lg.jpg

Add Comment