User Avatar Image

Back to the Future pricing

posted by Maikel Steneker on - last edited - Viewed by 787 users

Telltale is really pissing me off. I need to get this off my chest.

When Back to the Future was available for preorder in december of last year, I thought about getting it, but in the end I decided to wait for the Steam/PSN version. The price of 20 dollars (15 euros) was definitely worth it for me, but I'd rather keep my games in one place.

The Steam version then launched for a fair price of 25 dollars. The European version was slightly more expensive, but with other companies ripping us of when they get the chance, 19 euros wasn't bad at all.

By the time the second episode came out, the first episode finally launched on PSN. They kind of made it up by lowering the price to 20 dollars though. I patiently waited for the European release. I reasoned that, because Telltale has always been fair when it comes to exchange rates, I might as well wait for that.

Today, more than two months after the PC release of episode 1 and 3 weeks after the US PSN release of episode 1, Back to the Future finally launched on the European PSN. For a price of 20 euros. In other words, they simply replaced the dollar sign with the euro sign and made European PS3 owners pay more than anyone else.

Unwilling to pay this high price, I booted up my PC to get the Steam version. Unfortunately, as we can see on steamgamessales.com, the price of the Steam version was increased to 25 euros!

I'd really like an explanation for this, because I just don't get it. It feels like Telltale is deliberately teasing me. There are people who preordered this game for 15 dollars and got it on day one. I patiently waited for over two months and I was willing to accept late PSN releases for all other episodes, yet I have to pay 27 dollars - almost twice the amount other people paid!

Who else is frustrated by this?

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunatly there is nothing I can do. How about you try checking the hints and tips forum for Back To The Future or try emailing TellTale Games at support@telltalegames.com.

• If you get the game from Telltale directly, it's $25, which is about 18 Euros.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the whole post. You already knew that. But at this point buying the game directly from Telltale is still your cheapest option.

• If they gave discounts for delays on steam etc why wouldn't the price go back up?
    You have to remember people want their cut so prices go up.

PS3 price: has to cover telltale costs to make the game + the costs in converting said game to ps 3 format + the cost of submitting it to the ps 3 store etc.

It's like the difference between buying wholesale and buying in a normal shop.
    Shop price is higher because the shop owner wants their cut.

Plus with europe side of things you have to factor in taxation; I'm fairly sure digital products like on the ps store etc now are subject to some kind of taxation (same way as when u have stuff shipped from us price is higher as they have to add on uk import taxes or w/e)

• Steam is a retailer. They have more control over prices on their end than Telltale does, and this seems like a classic case of Steam mucking up pricing in other territories. This is especially evident because when you go to where Telltale themselves have full control over pricing and distribution, it's a flat charge across the board(though apparently their international shipping charges are insane).

• @Emo Hoe said: If they gave discounts for delays on steam etc why wouldn't the price go back up?
    You have to remember people want their cut so prices go up.

PS3 price: has to cover telltale costs to make the game + the costs in converting said game to ps 3 format + the cost of submitting it to the ps 3 store etc.

It's like the difference between buying wholesale and buying in a normal shop.
    Shop price is higher because the shop owner wants their cut.

Plus with europe side of things you have to factor in taxation; I'm fairly sure digital products like on the ps store etc now are subject to some kind of taxation (same way as when u have stuff shipped from us price is higher as they have to add on uk import taxes or w/e)

The thing is that with everything you say, you think about it from the developers perspective. I know how retailers work, I know that Europe has higher taxes and I know that porting a game to the PS3 costs money. However, that's not how prices should be set. The Devil's Playhouse was initially developed on PS3 and then ported to PC, but that cost the same on every platform.

Also, I'm not sure why you think the price increase on Steam makes sense. This was not advertised as some kind of discount. They did have a discount, so you could buy the game for 17 instead of 19 euros. Then the discount ended, and the game was 19 euros. For some reason, Telltale recently increased the price to 25 euros. Even if you take the whole story about porting costs, taxes, retailers etc. in consideration (which, in my opinion, you should not), this makes no sense. When you release a game, it gets cheaper over time. Granted, there is an exception to this rule (namely preorder discounts), but in general a game's price won't be increased unannounced.

I guess that worst part is that Telltale acted like the exact opposite was happening. Basically they told PS3 users that they were sorry for the delay and that they wanted to make it up by offering the PS3 version for a lower price. What they did was increase the price on Steam and then offer the PSN version for more than the Steam version initially cost.
    @Emo Hoe said: Steam is a retailer. They have more control over prices on their end than Telltale does, and this seems like a classic case of Steam mucking up pricing in other territories. This is especially evident because when you go to where Telltale themselves have full control over pricing and distribution, it's a flat charge across the board(though apparently their international shipping charges are insane).
    I don't see how Steam has got anything to do with it. When you're selling a game on Steam, Valve takes a part and Europe takes a part with taxes. As a developer, you have decision to make: do I increase the price in Europe, letting roughly half of my customers pay a lot more, or do I cover these costs? Although Steam seems to advise a higher price for the European market, in the end the developer decides. In this case, Telltale did decide: they made the European version only slightly more expensive. Then they increased the price.

I assume the same holds for PSN. Telltale released The Devil's Playhouse for a fair price. They chose not to do the same with Back to the Future.

• Steam sells the game their own way. Separate marketing and all. If you want to blame anyone, blame them.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Wait five months, then compare again.

• The devils playhouse was not original made for ps3.

Telltale games are all made in the telltale tool for the pc formatt to begin with then are ported out to otherplatforms

• @Emo Hoe said: The devils playhouse was not original made for ps3.

Telltale games are all made in the telltale tool for the pc formatt to begin with then are ported out to otherplatforms

Nope, someone from TTG said it was made with the developers tools for PSN first, then the PC/Mac version came from that.

• @Ribs said: Nope, someone from TTG said it was made with the developers tools for PSN first, then the PC/Mac version came from that.

If the PC/Mac are ports of the PSN version, then why does the PC version run better than the PS3 version?

Add Comment