User Avatar Image

Alright...

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I've been defending this game a lot BUT:

I watched a BTTF playthrough (I haven't had much cash so not really able to afford games) and I have to say...If TT takes the BTTF route with KQ, then it will have been a very big mistake.

I'm a fan of interactive movies; I loved Phantasmagoria--but even Phantas didn't explicitly hold you by the hand and tell you exactly what to do and where. From what it seems, BTTF is truly an interactive movie--a movie which tons of cutscenes, no REAL puzzles and very little interaction with the surroundings. I'd take an interactive movie in the Phantas vein with a narrator added--that could be cool, because Phantas was pretty challenging in parts. But not BTTF style? No way!

Also, I hope they don't go for the Pixar/3D cartoon look of BTTF. I'd love an updated VGA sort of look, or even a KQ7 look. But not a 3D Pixar look. It just looks goofy.

I've been supporting this game because I want KQ to come back from the dead, and from a plot perspective, I fear the alternative to TT (TSL). I don't ever want POS going near KQ officially. I'd accept AGDI doing an official KQ game as they get the feel and the puzzles and the atmosphere down pat, but I'm not a big fan of them tying all the games together tightly and having GK style conspiracies just like TSL does.

If AGDI would do a KQ game with the sophistication of KQ2VGA but without the intricate plot and "epic" backstory, I'd 100% support them getting the license....

So, yeah right now it's a "lesser of two evils" situation.....

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If anyone else hasn't played "Back to the Future: The Game" and doesn't understand the criticisms that stem from that title, the first episode can be played for free. Jurassic Park pre-release media has overall shown a continued dumbing down of the genre, by removing even more interactive objects per screen and taking out the exploration by gutting navigation(walking) and relegating it to a menu screen interface.

• @Rather Dashing said: The Jurassic Park pre-release media has overall shown a continued dumbing down of the genre, by removing even more interactive objects per screen and taking out the exploration by gutting navigation(walking) and relegating it to a menu screen interface.

At first I thought it would've been optional weather to walk or not, whith in all honesty wouldn't have been a bad to have both. Though the fact that it only includes pictures to move from place to place and a cmaera to look around is extremely pathetic for any sortive adventure game. To me, as of right now, it seems like a slighty better than average interactive movie of Jurassic Park, rather than an actual adventure game. Which is the reason why I'm not purchasing this game.

• I agree, Kings Quest needs to be treated differently, and I will be disappointed if it shares the same style/structure. Although I like the BttF series, and you know I don't see it as the ending of traditional games by TT. It may be dumbed down, but it is still enjoyable to me. But, yeah... Kings Quest needs to be something else.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

Gameplay probably won't be as "interactive movie" as BTTF. But also don't expect an old Sierra game, you are not going to get it in terms of gameplay. But you'll get your atmosphere and the type of story you are looking for.

And stop worrying about us going for the KQ license. Even if I've said that we wanted it, we've been working on the damn thing for the past 10 years, you know. Some other people in the team wanted it more than I personally did, but I'm the voice of the team. I'm ready to move on --got too many other things I want to do, and right now, we got other big fishes to fry. Just playing our cards to see what that fish is going to be.

• @Cez said: Gameplay probably won't be as "interactive movie" as BTTF. But also don't expect an old Sierra game, you are not going to get it in terms of gameplay. But you'll get your atmosphere and the type of story you are looking for.

And stop worrying about us going for the KQ license. Even if I've said that we wanted it, we've been working on the damn thing for the past 10 years, you know. Some other people in the team wanted it more than I personally did, but I'm the voice of the team. I'm ready to move on --got too many other things I want to do, and right now, we got other big fishes to fry. Just playing our cards to see what that fish is going to be.

U mad, bro? I'll give you this. You reached out and said something, and you actually gave a blunt, honest answer. That's what I personally want the most, and want to keep seeing from you guys. It's felt far too absent lately.

• @Cez said: don't expect an old Sierra game, you are not going to get it in terms of gameplay. But you'll get your atmosphere and the type of story you are looking for.

I dunno... I can't really say anything until I see it I guess.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

@Secret Fawful said: U mad, bro? I'll give you this. You reached out and said something, and you actually gave a blunt, honest answer. That's what I personally want the most, and want to keep seeing from you guys. It's felt far too absent lately.

Actually, not mad, just being honest. I love KQ to pieces, but 10 years of my life is enough --that's not how the whole team feels, however, I think some of them would die happy working on TSL forever haha.

For me it's too many other stories to write, too many other games to produce, too little time :)

• Fair enough. Thanks again for the reply.

• To be fair, the easier difficulty level in BttF was to appeal to newcomers who don't really get the adventure genre. But with King's Quest the target audience is used to difficult puzzles and feels that they are integral to the experience. So I'm fairly certain that telltale will(or at least try to) make this game have the hard puzzles that one would expect from a KQ game.

• If BTTF played like King's Quest, it wouldn't be BTTF... :p

BTTF isn't based on MacGyverisms...

Marty didn't go about picking up random junk, to create devices to get by things. He solved his problems through running away, car/hoverboard chases, out talking his opponents, or just plain rocking out to Johnny B. Good.

Add Comment