User Avatar Image

How should this game handle ingame deaths?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 950 users

How should this KQ game approach dying? Specifically, should it have a "Restore/Restart/Quit" popup with only manual saves, should it have a "Try Again" popup with autosaves set right before encountering unavoidable death, or should it have less frequent autosaves and still require you to manually restore?

Do you have any different ideas?

193 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personally, I would prefer manual saving ONLY, to preserve the integrity of the golden age Sierra experience. However, I think varying the amount of autosave/retry options based on a chosen difficulty setting is a brilliant way to handle it.

• Mandatory manual saving is a pointless waste of time. Spending hours looking at a save game screen does nothing to enhance the game experience.

• I agree with my fellow Wisconsonaut

• Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me like a save/reload system should be one of the easier things to provide a "choice" to. Wouldn't it make sense for a save feature called "Classic Sierra" or something along those lines, which has only manual saves and quicksaves? Even if you hate the idea, think it's the stupidest thing to ever happen, etc, if everyone gets a chance to opt in or out...why should you care if someone else might have been forced to opt out of something they may have enjoyed, for whatever reason they may have for that?

• I also agree with my fellow Dashingnaut

• Also, I voted for more options, because options are good. Unfortunately, Telltale's stance on options typically tends to be "Our customers are too stupid to make any decisions so we can't have complicated options or they'll get confused."

• I picked choose in the beginning cause everyone will prefer there own way. I don't know if that's difficult to do but it'll seem to please the most people. I actually didn't mind the KQ7/SQ6 restore method cause it got me right back where I left off if i didn't know I was in danger and died.

• I definitely vote for the option of having a choice between old school and new school. But really, I don't care that much as long as there a ton of interesting and sometimes pointless ways to die with humorous pun-filled explanations. It's funny, but I really love how Sierra games could kill you for no real reason... such as just walking too close to the river at the beginning of KQ5.

• I'd really love a choice. I'd love to play without autosaves or retries. It ups the challenge. Having a choice is a brilliant way to approach it.

• @SHODANFreeman said: Mandatory manual saving is a pointless waste of time. Spending hours looking at a save game screen does nothing to enhance the game experience.

except for giving the game a classic feel and increasing difficulty (which many people actually want.)

I went with provide a choice. It would be simple to do and would make more people happy.

Add Comment