User Avatar Image

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 995 users

I know that we have a thread to facilitate this sort of discussion, and a place to vent our excitement for up coming movies. But I felt that this particular film deserves its own thread, seeing as how the majority of us here are highly anticipating its release - something I've deduced from the fact that about 90% of the posts in the 'Up Coming Movie Thread' have mentioned it. I'm referring, of course, to 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides':

On_Stranger_Tides_Poster.jpg

As the poster states, this will be released on May 20, which is under two months away! And, as though some fans weren't excited enough, a new trailer has now been released (though I do warn you that this trailer may contain what will perhaps be the best parts of the film).

151 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm not sure whether I should be scared of or impressed by the realistic photoshop. I hope Tim Burton doesn't get attached to Pirates 5; we'll end up with some sort of ungodly cross between Alice in Wonderland and Treasure Island.

  • Irishmile is good at photoshop. EDIT: Check his deviant art out!

  • Now I actually WOULD love to see Tim Burton take on Treasure Island... that would be wild.

  • @Hayden said: Well, yes, the series COULD have ended after the first film, but I (and many others) got so much enjoyment out of the second, third (yes, even the third) and fourth films that I would hate to not have them around. They might not have had the originality of the first film, and the novelty might have been lost, and some people might say that the sequels fed off and emulated the first film too much, but we still got to witness great action, great humour and great fun from seeing likeable characters thrown into new and exciting situations. If the possibility is there to create sequels that aren't blatant ripoffs of their predecessor(s), and are enjoyed by many, then why not make them?



    This. All of this.

  • I think everybody's sort of exaggerating with what Burton may potentially do with the franchise. Yeah, the guy might be eccentric, his movies might be a little pretentious or too 'art-y,' but the guy isn't stupid, and is by no means crazy enough to take such a large and beloved franchise into such a new direction. Yes, the changes might be notable if he were to take the reigns, and perhaps it would feel different, and there's the possibility of it not being as good, but there's no way he'd alter the series to the degree that people are suggesting.

    But I will admit that some of your comments are rather funny :D. And that Photoshop is great, Irishmile!

    @der_ketzer said: have not heard it yet since I don't intend on buying it. It just would look ubly next to this:

    [Image]

    Ooh, that is nice; I want. All I've got is the 'At World's End' soundtrack so far; I'll pick up the rest of them later, including the new one (as it's pretty awesome, in my opinion)(those remixes don't interest me much, though).

    @der_ketzer said: This. All of this.

    :)

    @der_ketzer said: Get Sam Raimi or get nobody.

    Yeah, he'd be great, and would probably be the best suited, but why not Cuaron as well? I mean, look at the guy's past work; almost everything he's been involved in has seemed to turn to gold; his record is almost flawless. Quite frankly, I'd love to see what he can work the next Pirates into.

    Admittedly, I haven't seen a lot of his works, but his credentials suggest the the series would at least be in some reliable hands. I'm not challenging your opinion (I don't really have anything to back up an argument anyway); I'm just interested in knowing your reasons why.

    And would you object to letting Marshall have another crack at it?

  • Better Tim Burton than Joel Schumacher.

    *shudders*

  • I used to be a big Tim Burton fan,not so much anymore. His glory days, as seen with live action movies has passed. But if he did a pirates film I'd be suckered into seeing it.

  • @der_ketzer said: Am I the only one here who thinks that apart from the soundtracks the sequels in this series are useless?
    They could have ended everything after the first movie and I wouldn't miss anything. Except for the great scores by Hans Zimmer for the second and third movie.


    Not only were the sequels entirely unnecessary, they were actually retroactively harmful. The characters were allowed some measure of development in the first film, something they're NEVER ALLOWED TO DO AGAIN now that the franchise is "big". Worse than that, any character development from the first film is entirely undone so we can have the joy of not having to watch a version of an apparently beloved icon that has actually changed even the slightest iota since the starting point of the first film. This is most drastic in Jack Sparrow's case, but other cast members suffer from this as well.

    @der_ketzer said: I think everybody's sort of exaggerating with what Burton may potentially do with the franchise. Yeah, the guy might be eccentric, his movies might be a little pretentious or too 'art-y,' but the guy isn't stupid, and is by no means crazy enough to take such a large and beloved franchise into such a new direction. Yes, the changes might be notable if he were to take the reigns, and perhaps it would feel different, and there's the possibility of it not being as good, but there's no way he'd alter the series to the degree that people are suggesting.
    "Art-y" and "pretentious" are the LAST words I'd use to describe Burton's recent output.

    Also, uh, Batman Returns? The Penguin?

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    @Rather Dashing said: Not only were the sequels entirely unnecessary, they were actually retroactively harmful. The characters were allowed some measure of development in the first film, something they're NEVER ALLOWED TO DO AGAIN now that the franchise is "big". Worse than that, any character development from the first film is entirely undone so we can have the joy of not having to watch a version of an apparently beloved icon that has actually changed even the slightest iota since the starting point of the first film. This is most drastic in Jack Sparrow's case, but other cast members suffer from this as well.



    Granted, the first movie drew a lot of its fun out of constantly wondering what Jack's really up to. That was sadly missing from the sequels and is probably entirely missing from Stranger Tides.

  • @Vainamoinen said: Granted, the first movie drew a lot of its fun out of constantly wondering what Jack's really up to. That was sadly missing from the sequels and is probably entirely missing from Stranger Tides.



    Another difference is that the first movie had the "surprise" factor. At least for me. I seem to remember that all of the trailers for it marketed it as a action/thriller type movie, with the only main characters present being Elizabeth and Barbossa. So when the jokes started coming fast and furious, it was totally unexpected. And also hilarious. We just can't get that unexpected factor back.

Add Comment