User Avatar Image

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users

I know that we have a thread to facilitate this sort of discussion, and a place to vent our excitement for up coming movies. But I felt that this particular film deserves its own thread, seeing as how the majority of us here are highly anticipating its release - something I've deduced from the fact that about 90% of the posts in the 'Up Coming Movie Thread' have mentioned it. I'm referring, of course, to 'Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides':

On_Stranger_Tides_Poster.jpg

As the poster states, this will be released on May 20, which is under two months away! And, as though some fans weren't excited enough, a new trailer has now been released (though I do warn you that this trailer may contain what will perhaps be the best parts of the film).

151 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The book is great... I would suggest it to anyone if you are a fan of either Monkey Island OR PoTC.... the themes fit well withing both worlds for obvious reasons.

I also like the cover of my book its a really old paperback.
    here are some used copies from amazon for a little less money
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0441626866/ref=sr_1_6_up_1_main_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300892265&sr=1-6&condition=used

OnStrangerTides.jpg

• @Irishmile said: I was so pleased when they announced that Ian McShane was going to be Blackbeard... Ian is awesome.

He will always be Lovejoy to me which makes it a little amusing when he's in a big film or tv series.

• The more heavily the movies focused on Jack the more I felt they were one trick ponies resting heavily on a gimmicky performance. Now they've gone full monty and put all their cards on him, and I have my doubts about the quality.

• I love Jack Sparrow, screw the haters. I also loved the first trilogy, not every movie as much, but I still loved them. LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean will probably be the frist game in the LEGO series I buy for myself and my wife.

I'm curious how faithful to the book it will be though, and I wonder if I should buy and read the book before or after the film.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Irishmile said:

OnStrangerTides.jpg

Ah! The fabled James Gurney cover! Oh how I tried to get this hardcover edition, to no avail.

I'm a bit torn concerning PotC 4. But I think that I will be fully able to watch the movie with no preset notions about how good or bad it will be, but watch it as "just" an adventure movie with one of my favourite characters in it.

My special interest is the concept art, however. Even if the movie happens to suck, I will still have a great time with the artbook. The monstrosity that was the previous art book is one of my most prized possessions (now available for almost nothing).

• I loved the first movie--really loath the other two. In the first film, the pirates were pirates. The British navy were antagonists in that they were after Jack, but you didn't feel like they were evil or anything.

In the sequels, being a pirate was all of a sudden a good thing, so much so that Will and Elizabeth were suddenly all piratey. And on the opposite side, the British navy was suddenly totally evil--aren't pirates supposed to be bad guys? Isn't that their appeal? The first movie seemed to take place more or less in a realistic world, just with curses. Then all of a sudden the sequels have sea goddesses, Davy Jones, krakens, coming back from the dead, and worst of all "pirate lords." Suddenly being a pirate meant you were a freedom fighter against the evil forces of civilization... yuck.

Anyway, I might still see this because Jack Sparrow is still endlessly entertaining to watch. He's really the only part of two and three that I enjoyed.

• @Vainamoinen said: Ah! The fabled James Gurney cover! Oh how I tried to get this hardcover edition, to no avail.

I'm a bit torn concerning PotC 4. But I think that I will be fully able to watch the movie with no preset notions about how good or bad it will be, but watch it as "just" an adventure movie with one of my favourite characters in it.

My special interest is the concept art, however. Even if the movie happens to suck, I will still have a great time with the artbook. The monstrosity that was the previous art book is one of my most prized possessions (now available for almost nothing).

NICE!!!! I totally just bought that book thanks for the share...

The only thing that ticks me off is that now that book can never be a movie with its original characters intact. .... But it wasn't ever going to happen like that anyway.

• heres my rundown on this series

the first one : pretty good
    Second one: erm ok....not as good..not that bad...
    Third one: wtf is this crap?

this one actually looks better then the past three. I am really glad they aren't going to have orlando bloom or keira knightly again.

• Yeah I am actually glad they do not have Will and Elizabeth forced in... their story is over... Jack was kind of the only character who is not tied down and can still have a crazy journey.

• I noticed that as the films progressed, the story began focusing more on Will and Elizabeth's transition into the realm of pirates. In the first film, they both disliked pirates and had no desire to have anything to do with them. By the end of the third, they both have finally embraced the pirate lifestyle.

While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it drew away from Jack Sparrow's character. He is truly the driving force behind the films and it's nice to finally see him return to the spot light.

Add Comment